Any other alternative for norton ghost/acronis image maker(freeware)

Hi i m using windows 7 operating system and would like to take a backup of my os partition.

As norton ghost 14 is not supported for windows 7. i m looking for an alternative option to do my work. I have got some free utility in pc magazine but it was restricted upto copy the entire disk.
to copy a partition into another partition it needed to install professional version of it.:bleh:

However i m looking for any free yet good alternative to make partition backup utility with boot loading support.

I hope i ll get something better from TE guys.

Cool, I did not see this thread earlier, if you want it free, there is this utility that comes with Windows 7, I'm at Office will post detailed guide from Home, till that time if you can understand this

What is ImageX?

If you can get a grasp of the above to make things simple there is a GUI for it ImageX GUI (GImageX)

Hope this helps, else ping me

If you have a Seagate HDD then you might want to try their DiscWizard, its just a re-brand of Acronis TrueImage. IIRC it supports partition imaging and restore.

it is not seagate .@tommy_vercetti i read some info on ImageX but it is so difficult to understand .Can u please recommend any 3rd party utility like acronis or norton .(it should be free to use)

^^ Windows 7 has an inbuilt tool to make your partition image. Just type "backup and restore" in the search field in your Start menu, and click enter. It will open the Backup center in your Control Panel. On the left hand side, you will have options to create a system image and create a system repair disc. The first one should serve your purpose.

logistopath said:
^^ Windows 7 has an inbuilt tool to make your partition image. Just type "backup and restore" in the search field in your Start menu, and click enter. It will open the Backup center in your Control Panel. On the left hand side, you will have options to create a system image and create a system repair disc. The first one should serve your purpose.
I dont want to make entire system image .I just want to make an image of c: so that in case of disaster i can be able to restore it back.Does it provide boot cd?

pinga123 said:
I dont want to make entire system image .I just want to make an image of c: so that in case of disaster i can be able to restore it back.Does it provide boot cd?

It provides you an option to choose which partitions you want to backup. The system partition (C) is selected by default and cannot be unselected. The other partitions are optional for backup.

I am not sure about boot CD option. Will have to google for some information.

actually with windows restore thing, you will need to create a seperate dvd which is bootable and allows you to select the system image to restore from

Back