Any recent changes in duty charges by aramex ?

Sorry for bumping an old topic , did not want to open a new thread for this query

Has there been any recent changes in duty charges by aramex ? I received a shipment from amazon valued at 60$ and the shipment was charged 1309 bucks as additional duty charges.
I was expecting it to be lesser than that
The package contains just an mp3 player , and a basic USB cable .
Amazon had charged around the same ( around 20$ ) as import fees deposit plus 10$ shipping and handling . i am wondering if the customs officials are aware of the exact amount of duty prepaid and are just rounding off the amount so as to make maximum out of it
I remember people being charged only 700 bucks for shipment containing hard disks worth more than 150 $ last year
Any inputs appreciated

Indian Customs are seriously cracking down on all import shipments. I got a few items declared at $155 value and the customs charges was a whopping INR 7800 on the total shipment. That's almost 75% of the total declared value! I refused to accept the shipment and sent multiple queries to Indian Customs regarding the breakdown of charges and duties levied on individual items within my shipment. Still waiting to hear from them for the past week.

In the end I will probably have to pony up the cash to receive my stuff. This means no more purchases from abroad. :(

The duty on computer parts is much lesser than on consumer electronics. MP3 and hard disk fall in two completely different categories.

I have imported some (audio) electronics from abroad and have always been charged at ~ 30%. In a purchase I made late last year, the added some extra under 'countervailing duties' making the total duty above 40%.

@dpandey - Countervailing duties are levied on all shipments that are inspected by customs.

OK so I have an update on my case. DHL being the carrier for my shipment gave me the detailed Bill of Entry (BoE). In that the declared value for my shipment is $155 = INR12539/- (as per govt. conversion rates, which IMO are way too high). Total customs on all my items come out to INR3643/- with all CVD and Education Cess etc. Now the customs officials who inspected my shipment have crossed that value out and written INR25000/- on it and charged my customs based on that amount which comes out to INR7840/-.

I am trying to get in touch with customs officials to find out the why and the how but I am not too hopeful. If I don't get an answer within this week I will probably have to pay up those extortion charges and get my stuff. :(

Custom officials do valuationa based on the cost of the product in India and doesn't consider the selling price of the offshore retail seller. So he might have opened flipkart amazon and likes to get the value of the product and most probably has imposed a fine for wrong declaration. They won't respond and will ask to refer all sorts of clauses. You can't do much other than paying them. It's from my person experience. Thanks

Sorry for bumping an old topic , did not want to open a new thread for this query

Has there been any recent changes in duty charges by aramex ? I received a shipment from amazon valued at 60$ and the shipment was charged 1309 bucks as additional duty charges.
I was expecting it to be lesser than that
The package contains just an mp3 player , and a basic USB cable .
Amazon had charged around the same ( around 20$ ) as import fees deposit plus 10$ shipping and handling . i am wondering if the customs officials are aware of the exact amount of duty prepaid and are just rounding off the amount so as to make maximum out of it
I remember people being charged only 700 bucks for shipment containing hard disks worth more than 150 $ last year
Any inputs appreciated

I guess aramex delivery guy has taken you for a ride? Did he give you any receipt for that? I have bought lots of shipment from amazon (they delivering products directly India through their carriers) and have not paid an extra penny. In fact amazon has refunded a couple of dollars back stating excessive customs fees deposit levied. Once an aramex delivery guy asked to pay customs and I was well aware that no extra fee would be charged. I escalated it and some zonal delivery manager apologised and promised to take action on the delivery guy. After that I didn't follow it up and not sure if any action was really taken. Goods being delivered directly by amazon carried no extra charges. You can just reject the shipment and talk to amazon customer care, they will arrange for the most fastest deliver using DHL in case of such issues.

Also chat with amazon customer care and explain how you were cheated by their carrier and show them the proof. Even if extra customs has been imposed, show them the receipt and make them realise that you have already paid $20. They will try to copy paste all sorts of non sense FAQs especially when its the Indian BPO at the helm during morning hours in India, but make it clear that amazon has already charged customs fees deposit and they will definitely refund.

Also please make sure you don't misuse it as amazon will definitely ban your accounts (read amazon.in) and will suspend delivery to any of the addresses saved in your accounts including your relatives and confiscate any future payments you make creating new accounts. I am really not sure how they do it, but its fabulous as to how they ban accounts involving you and those of other accounts you have been involved with. Once banned they will never revoke it.

Last edited:
Back