Any reliable cloud(for storage) service better than Onedrive? In terms of space/cost.

Din

Disciple
Most of it is obvious, just to make sure I didn't miss any!

Basic requirement: Storing photos/small videos. About 480 GB so far. Not a pro, but memories. Max of 50 GB (mostly less) every year. Use iPhoto locally. So it is pretty much in order.
Using at present: OneDrive, part of 'Microsoft 365 Business Basic'. Reason being, 1TB storage for INR 1500 per year. Using cyberduck for upload/download.
Checked Google drive and iCloud pricing. I see either settle for 100/200 GB or go for 1/2 TB but pay like INR 5000 or more per year.
Any problem at present? Not exactly. Purchased it through an authorised reseller (Microsoft has listed them in their website) as I couldn't get it directly. Reason being, debit cards doesn't work, some of the credit cards too. I use UPI to pay third party. Never get any confirmation on renewal from Microsoft. Third party confirm after I send few emails.

Any cloud service better in terms of reliability/storage space which is close to the above pricing? Also those support UPI/netbanking, so that I can pay them directly. I think Google/iCloud accept UPI and netbanking. But as I mentioned, price is on the higher side.

First, you don't have to be a pro to save memories. Go ahead and click as many pictures as you want :)

I would recommend against buying cloud storage from Stacksocial (for any serious use). You can head over to Lowendtalk/Lowendspirit and buy yourself a storage box but I wouldn't trust anything short of a 20-year hosting history with my family photos. If it's just for offshore/cloud backup check Backblaze unlimited backup for $70 yearly/$130 biannually. Don't get excited about unlimited, you can't upload random files but yeah it will back up unlimited data from your desktop. You can sync your Android/iPhone with your PC and Backblaze will take care of it and that's unlimited. You will be able to check your uploaded files via the mobile app though. My memory is a little faded but that's what I remember about Backblaze, but do correct me if something changed since I last used it.

Although I have always been skeptical about pCloud, It is surprisingly good and reliable.

If you can handle a little headache with setup, wasabi will cost you $6/TB/Month and it's industry grade. (Just giving you an option, this is an s3 compatible storage)

i would suggest idrive, they are cheaper than backblaze. and offer unlimited version history.. BB have very stringent rules about it..
but remember its suitable for cloud backup purpose and NOT as cloud storage.

@dvader, thanks a lot for the detailed reply. Going to check Backblaze in detail.
wasabi is more like AWS?
i would suggest idrive, they are cheaper than backblaze. and offer unlimited version history.. BB have very stringent rules about it..
You mean, iDrive is more like the Time Machine?

Yeah, wasabi is an alternative to AWS S3 (to be precise) but doesn't cost you a kidney, a liver, and a mortgage to keep it running. If you can invest some time in setting up the entire backup pipeline, you will love it. But do take a look at Backblaze though, it might solve all your problems.

Last edited:
It took me 5 attempts to realize it's iDrive and not iCloud :laughing:

Anyway, @OP, if you do end up using pCloud or iDrive or any other atypical cloud provider, make sure you do a test restore, I have been burnt in past to find out download restrictions making my restore almost impossible.

if you want to keep data private, use encryption on your side before uploading to cloud provider.
look into cyrptomator, rclone cypt. etc
This ↑, I personally use Rclone Crypt and it's set up and forget. However, you don't have to overwhelm yourself, you can set up encryption once you make up your mind and migrate everything.

@Din
Could you give an update ? Which provider did you opt for ultimately ? Lord Vader gave good advice here, I would've suggested Backblaze as well.

Try checking terabox for mobile photo backups. It offers free 10gb space. You need to login everyday to earn points and can be used to increase storage space. Currently I have 300gb space.
Referral is also good to boost storage space. DM if you need referral for initial 200gb space.

Try checking terabox for mobile photo backups. It offers free 10gb space. You need to login everyday to earn points and can be used to increase storage space. Currently I have 300gb space.
Referral is also good to boost storage space. DM if you need referral for initial 200gb space.
And if we stop login in everyday then does the earned space reverses aka stars decreasing or how?

And if we stop login in everyday then does the earned space reverses aka stars decreasing or how?
No, they don't take away your earned space
No it expires after certain amount of time.
But you can earn storage by watching few 15/30 sec ads.
Check below I have added few screenshots for reference

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-03-30-23-22-52-09_d0c52f90c9cf19aef4f989bb76c5625c.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-30-23-22-52-09_d0c52f90c9cf19aef4f989bb76c5625c.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_2023-03-30-23-22-57-32_d0c52f90c9cf19aef4f989bb76c5625c.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-30-23-22-57-32_d0c52f90c9cf19aef4f989bb76c5625c.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_2023-03-30-23-23-06-06_d0c52f90c9cf19aef4f989bb76c5625c.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-30-23-23-06-06_d0c52f90c9cf19aef4f989bb76c5625c.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_2023-03-30-23-23-11-78_d0c52f90c9cf19aef4f989bb76c5625c.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-30-23-23-11-78_d0c52f90c9cf19aef4f989bb76c5625c.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_2023-03-30-23-23-17-54_d0c52f90c9cf19aef4f989bb76c5625c.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-30-23-23-17-54_d0c52f90c9cf19aef4f989bb76c5625c.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Most of it is obvious, just to make sure I didn't miss any!

Basic requirement: Storing photos/small videos. About 480 GB so far. Not a pro, but memories. Max of 50 GB (mostly less) every year. Use iPhoto locally. So it is pretty much in order.
Using at present: OneDrive, part of 'Microsoft 365 Business Basic'. Reason being, 1TB storage for INR 1500 per year. Using cyberduck for upload/download.
Checked Google drive and iCloud pricing. I see either settle for 100/200 GB or go for 1/2 TB but pay like INR 5000 or more per year.
Any problem at present? Not exactly. Purchased it through an authorised reseller (Microsoft has listed them in their website) as I couldn't get it directly. Reason being, debit cards doesn't work, some of the credit cards too. I use UPI to pay third party. Never get any confirmation on renewal from Microsoft. Third party confirm after I send few emails.

Any cloud service better in terms of reliability/storage space which is close to the above pricing? Also those support UPI/netbanking, so that I can pay them directly. I think Google/iCloud accept UPI and netbanking. But as I mentioned, price is on the higher side.
If you can wait for about 3 - 6 months, I am launching a cloud storage service, I am trying to go lower in terms of storage costs but currently, 1TB would cost around Rs. 500, I know that Google has 2TB at 650, so I think my ideal sweet spot is around Rs. 450. I know 50 difference doesn't sound that big, but it's pretty challenging to lower it.

1TB would cost around Rs. 500, I know that Google has 2TB at 650, so I think my ideal sweet spot is around Rs. 450. I know 50 difference doesn't sound that big, but it's pretty challenging to lower it.
Are those prices per month? Because OP is currently getting 1TB for ₹1500 per year because of Microsoft 365 Business. Even if they were using 365 Personal, it would still work out to about ₹410/month, and that's if you pay Microsoft's stated price - you can get it cheaper on Amazon. I don't think OP is going to find your option competitive for his use case.

Good luck with your service! I'd be interested to check it out once it's up - it's good to see domestic participation in this space.

Back