Any suggestions for a 12-13" NON-netbook laptop around 30-35k?

vebk

Adept
Here are my requirements/ specifications for the laptop in the order of importance:

Screen Size: 12-13" (preferably 12")

Weight: Light

Battery life: At least 4-5 hours - though the more the merrier!

RAM: 4GB or above

Processor: i5 or comparable

Looks: Somewhat important - should be sleek and fingerprint resistant.

Budget: 30-35K (some flexibility is there)

Warranty: Preferably with an option to get a 2-3 year extended warranty (understandably at extra charge).

Brands: Anything but Dell and Toshiba (bad experiences with both).

Please give your suggestions. I should also mention that it is possible for me to order from the U.S. but only if the deal is so good that it makes sense to order one from there even if it means losing the warranty (practically speaking).

Thanks in advance!!

Same requirements , can up the budget though. Would appreciate all help
<

Flipkart says the same for most laptops they have. Check the reviews. It gives upto ~4hrs or so in low-medium brightness browsing on a WLAN.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Z370-Subnotebook.55752.0.html

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-z370.aspx

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6236&p=4

Battery Life

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The included 6-cell battery has a moderate 48Wh rating, which is average for a consumer notebook. I measured five hours, five minutes of battery life during our standard battery rundown test (Windows 7 Balanced power profile, 70% screen brightness, wireless active, and refreshing a web page every minute). This is a good if not impressive time for a 13.3-inch notebook.[/font]

Battery Life

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]
During the LAPTOP Battery Test (continuous web surfing over Wi-Fi), the Z370 returned a lackluster rutime of 4 hours and 42 minutes, about 20 minutes less than the thin-and-light average. Several other 13-inch notebooks we've tested this year fared better, including the SF310 (5:24), the U31JG-A1 (6:29), and the HP dm4t (7:02).​
[/font]

Thanks for the suggestions! In an ideal world with no budget constraints (
<
) I would go for the Lenovo Thinkpad X220. But since that is not an option....!

What do you think about this?:

http://www.samsung.c...tail&returnurl=

I have never used a Samsung laptop before, but a similar model (US Version) has got rave reviews on Amazon.

If you have anyone in the US coming over you could easily get yourself a 6 cell core i3 powered x220 for less than 600-650$ with 1 yr warranty applicable in India. For 700-750$ you could get a core i5 powered x220 and for 800-850$ you could get a core i5+9cell battery x220.

I own an x220 myself. I got it recently from EBAY.com (USA) via a friend. I have a core i7 version with 1 yr warranty. IBM india not lenovo which will eventually handle rma and after sales service for the x220 or any thinkpad lets you extend your warranty by buying standard warranty up to three years for Rs.7000. Complete cover for a similar duration will cost 3 times as much.

Go to ebay and search for x220. Btw if you do see listings of manufacturer refurbished laptops don't hesitate and go for them as they are essentially brand new laptops and have the same standard 1 yr/3yr warranty which will be honored in India.

Hey, thanks for your suggestions. My thing is that the couple of time I have ordered refurbished products, I had issues, and so not really looking forward to going down that way. Added to that we've generally had too many issues with tech products in the recent past, so really want piece of mind with any purchase. Therefore, first and foremost reliability and durability of the product is supreme. After that, after sales service is very important. On the first front, we have had bad experiences with Dell laptops - 2 out of 2 laptops developing multiple problems one month after the warranty lapsed. On the warranty side, we have had serious issues with HP - 5 months passed and still they have not replaced a printer even though their own technician gave it in writing that it has to be replaced.

Sooooo.... keeping that in mind, not really look to get a good deal at the cost of peace of mind!! I am down with the x220 considering it seems to be a fantastic product, but don't want to deal with ebay sellers. Unfortunately in India I don't think Lenovo is used to selling them apart from mass corporate deals, so they don't really have any good deals for individual home / small business customers with prices ranging from 70k to 100k (not worth it IMHO).

Any other suggestions, or any place we can get the x220 for a reasonable price from the States (I know people travelling) which will get proper 1year + extended GLOBAL warranty?

Sorry for being so fussy!!

^78K is a bit beyond my budget!! (and to be honest, I would rather buy the x220 and pimp it out with a 24-hour battery for that cost!)

As I said, I am looking to spend about 30-35k, maybe a bit more.

Also, I don't need an i7. Even i5 is slightly more than for my needs, but I would rather get something a little better with the hope I don't feel it's outdated too fast. (Expect to get at least 2-3 years of use out of this laptop). At this point 4GB RAM is also okay (preferably with the option to expand to 8GB later).

@ Op I just extended the warranty of my thinkpad which i bought from US via Ebay.com to an additional 2 years (3 years total warranty)for Rs.7200. The warranty needs to be bought 60 Days before the current warranty on the laptop expires and is sent by IBM and not Lenovo(Atleast in my case it was IBM) the thnkpads are still serviced by IBM (quick, efficient and excellent overall experience) who have some pretty knowledgeable people handling repairs and RMA. You can extend the warranty to 5 years for a Thinkpad.

Back