Graphic Cards Anyone actually SLI'ed ?

ru121279

Disciple
Hello all,

I was thinking of SLI as an option esp with the upcoming 8800GT (heard that 512 MB is around 10Kish+ or 250 - 260$)
In temp conditions like Mumbai (hot humid most of the times) how does SLI work?
I guess there will be a lot of heating up .
Of course I do not think i need SLI (8800GT) a single should handle most games on it own. But this is more so something that will give me a kick :eek:hyeah: and ... always wanted to get the experience ... so I ask if anyone has actually gone thru it and is experience worth it ?

yes i guess i need to invest in a quality PSU and a quality cabinet as well also more RAM i guess.
the other specs wud be something like a 680LT based mobo with 4 gigs of decent latency RAM a 600 or 700 W PSU (i am still in the design phase so havent finalised on the brands)
need your opinions if its worth taking up the SLI experience (esp from those who have actually done it)

Thanks
ru...

Absolutely worth it if you are willing to put in the money. I get roughly double the frame rates in highly GPU limited situations and 1.5 times or so otherwise. You need a good psu. A 700 watter may not be enough. I get idle temps of around 80 on my 8800 ultra and 88-89 on load.

ahh thanks for the encouragement chaos ... yes ... i get the PSU part I think i might need a modular one as well ... the other reason why i am considering SLI which i never even thought about is cos the G92's are at 65 nm die's isnt it ?
i hope the 65 nm design will lower the energy requirements.
which in turn should bring down costs of SLI accesories..
this is what i think maybe it will be all too different in reality.

Watt's not so important I believe... basically, check any SLI certified PSU or any PSU which has multiple 12v rails with good amount of AMP per rail (18-20 or above). If your graphic card require 20 amp per rail, then even 800 watt PSU will be useless if it offers only 18amp on 12v.

Then depending on rest of your config decide how many watts you may require. So, do good research on PSU's specs before you buy it.

ru121279 10Kish+ or 250 - 260$ is the EXACT price i have chkd it too. im sure u might hv got it from another forum !! add another 5K to that so it will make the indian price

that is 15K for 8800GT !!

i have my eyes targetted over the 8800GT hope i get it by 12nov @ bangkok or i will get a 8800GTS from there around 5 - 6 K cheaper than INDIA

y0 d00d got the approx price from some place dun remember exactly ... but most estimates are around the same range.
y0 chaos u said u temp around 80 isnt that high u still holding stable at that temps?
or is it 80 F which comes to around 27 C ?

Was considering it too... but I found out you can only run single monitors in SLI mode... I'd have to give up dual monitors and that important to me :(

ru121279 said:
y0 d00d got the approx price from some place dun remember exactly ... but most estimates are around the same range.
y0 chaos u said u temp around 80 isnt that high u still holding stable at that temps?
or is it 80 F which comes to around 27 C ?

Its 80 C. Thats the normal operating temperature of an 8800 ultra. Nothing wrong about it. Unlike previous gens, the current 8800 cards don't downclock when running 2D.

if u want sli it need more power and hungry eat more power bill :bleh:

or get some 8800 ultra or 65 mm less power it give onyl 25 boast performance :p

Back