CPU/Mobo Anyone has MSI 790GX-G95 AMD AM3 Board?

rajndra

Adept
Does anyone have MSI 790GX-G65 board for AMD AM3 socket ?

I am planning to buy one, also checked the reviews, this board seems to be very good. Also it has 2 switches for basic overclocking, also thru the BIOS.

Here are some reviews:

PC World India: MSI 790Gx-G65
PCQuest : Hardware : MSI 790GX-G65 Motherboard
Bjorn3d.com - MSI 790GX-G65 AM3 Motherboard, Reviews 'n news for the beast within us!
MSI 790GX-G65 AM3 Motherboard Review - Overclockers Club
MSI 790GX-G65 review | ITREVIEWED
MSI 790GX-G65 Motherboard Review :: Introduction :: Motherboards.org

Looks like everyone on this forum is buying only Biostar AM2+ socket MB.

Just thought someone might already own one of these. Any probs with MSI MBs?
DISCLAIMER: I don't work for MSI. :)

1. Its good but if you can increase a bit get its elder sibling MSI -- MICRO-STAR INT'L CO., LTD. ..

The price difference won't be a lot :)

2, Seeing your sig I think you are planning to get X4 810, its good but not worth it.. Rather get Phenom II X4 945 or X3 720 BE :)

3. For such a high end rig I would suggest a good cabinet, invest in NZXT tempest of CM HAF 922:)

Thanks for the suggestion.

GD70 is available for Rs 12K at Ankit (Bangalore-SP Road). It has 4 PCI-E 2.0 slots, which I may never use in my lifetime. Hence not settling for that board.

Also this board (G65) comes with bios 1.0 which only supports X3 720 or X4 810 out-of-the-box. To make it support 940 or 955, the bios needs to be flashed. This is something tricky, since I may need another processor which can be used temporarily to flash.

Also problem with X3 720 is that, we cannot unlock the 4th core on all the X3 720BEs chips. Only some of them can be, difficult to get those. Yes it is 2.8Ghz, better than X4 810 which is 2.6GHz. But since AMD will support the AM3 socket for a longer time, I may upgrade the processor later if possible.

Also the X4 920, X4 940 and X4 955 are all 125W processors, where as X3 720 and X4 810 are 95W processors. Since I won't overlock much, I will need less power PSU, maybe only 450W is required.

Cabinets NZXT Tempest is not available in Bangalore, got this from some other thread. I really liked that case.

Got almost all the items today. Bought the AMD Phenom II X3 720BE instead of AMD Phenom II X4 810. The batch number is 0906, not sure if I can unlock the 4th core, anyway will not try it now. Maybe in a years time. :)

CoolerMaster Centurion 590, looks very good, has dust filters, enough places to hold 4 fans + 2 included fans (1 rear and 1 LED fan front), has toolless drive holds, bottom PSU, neat provision for cable management, includes cable ties. ;)

Need to buy the MB mounting screws and spacers. I thought MBs come with them, but this one didn't have it. :huh:

Need to buy Sata HDD, forgot to buy today. :mad:

Already bought Sapphire ATI HD 4770 512MB and Samsung DVD Writer.

Back