Anyone here bought PTM7950? Would like to know the best place to get it.

CapCloud

Recruit
Looking for advice from people who bought Honeywell PTM7950. What's the best and fastest place to buy it from?

I want to try this on my Laptop GPU to see if the temps go down before resorting to Liquid Metal.

Since AliExpress is banned, eBay.com is your best bet. There are China based sellers who ship for free internationally. It will take 3-4 weeks to arrive and you will likely not need to pay customs on it. Make sure the seller has high ratings though as some sell fake PTM7950 apparently.

Also, LTT Store now stocks PTM7950. So if you know someone coming from US/Canada, this is a trustworthy source for the genuine stuff. They ship internationally too but it would be expensive that way.

Since AliExpress is banned, eBay.com is your best bet. There are China based sellers who ship for free internationally. It will take 3-4 weeks to arrive and you will likely not need to pay customs on it. Make sure the seller has high ratings though as some sell fake PTM7950 apparently.

Also, LTT Store now stocks PTM7950. So if you know someone coming from US/Canada, this is a trustworthy source for the genuine stuff. They ship internationally too but it would be expensive that way.
Yeah I checked LTT, it's like 2k for One 60x60mm. Not sure how worth it is.

I've also seen 80x80 on ebuy7 for around 1700 with e-packet. I'm just not experieced in these sites.

Not sure how worth it is.
I'm not sure if it will give lower temps compared to a good thermal paste let alone liquid metal. It's main USP is that it does not degrade or pump out over time.

Usually with gaming laptops I would need to re-paste every 6-12 months as the temps creep up inspite of regular cleaning. But on the two Legions 5 Pro 2021s I have (Which came pre-applied with PTM7950), I've never taken the heatsink off the motherboard. If temps increase, it's always due to the fans/vents getting clogged with dust. After cleaning, the temps go back to how it was on day 1. Amazing stuff!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it will give lower temps compared to a good thermal paste let alone liquid metal. It's main USP is that it does not degrade or pump out over time.

Usually with gaming laptops I would need to re-paste every 6-12 months as the temps creep up inspite of regular cleaning. But on the two Legions 5 Pro 2021s I have (Which came pre-applied with PTM7950), I've never taken the heatsink off the motherboard. If temps increase, it's always due to the fans/vents getting clogged with dust. After cleaning, the temps go back to how it was on day 1. Amazing stuff!
That's nice to hear, my main purpose is to get better thermals from my GPU. My CPU is fine, I notice my GPU is always pinned at 85C(Nvidia's limit), 100C+ hotspot on a decent game. Every forum I looked say this is underspec and the hardware can handle it, which is fine but I'm not getting the best performance as this is the throttle limit. I want it to atleast stabilize at 80C without throtlling. I tried every form of thermal paste. My laptop has Liquid metal stock on the CPU and regular thermal paste on GPU. I tried better thermal paste on GPU to no avail so I wanted to try out PTM before going for Liquid metal on GPU as well which I don't know will work in terms of mounting pressure or whatnot.

That is odd. At least GPU temps should be easier to get under control due to larger surface area of the die.

Did you check the gap between the fan and the heatsink fins? It is usually covered with tape or foam to prevent air leaking and force it through the vents. I wanted to confirm this because on some laptops the fan assembly does not need to be separated from the heatsink to re-paste. So fan blades and fins would look clean but there might be dust blocking airflow inside (Like in the attached pic).

Attachments

• 1710942024689.png
    1710942024689.png
    547.6 KB · Views: 41
That is odd. At least GPU temps should be easier to get under control due to larger surface area of the die.

Did you check the gap between the fan and the heatsink fins? It is usually covered with tape or foam to prevent air leaking and force it through the vents. I wanted to confirm this because on some laptops the fan assembly does not need to be separated from the heatsink to re-paste. So fan blades and fins would look clean but there might be dust blocking airflow inside (Like in the attached pic).
Yeah that is all fine, I can feel the air coming through the vents pretty good. I feel like the bottleneck is either the thermal transfer from the GPU or this is just the limit of this laptop's design.

My laptop is Asus ROG Strix scar 15 (G533QS). It's a good laptop, I like it. Just want to maximize the GPU performance without it throtlleing.

My dude, you were on to something. Some weird stuff is going on with the laptop chassis.

I repasted it and before closing everything I tested it by running a game and the temperatures were perfect. As soon as I put the bottom chassis on, the temperatures increase by 10c. Some airflow restriction is going on when I put the chassis back on. There's no way bottom chassis alone increases temps by so much right?

There's no way bottom chassis alone increases temps by so much right?
Yeah I don't think the intake would be restricted to that extent by the bottom panel.

Can you remove both the fans from the heatsink assembly and check once? If possible the cover of the fan assembly as well. You don't need to remove the heatsink from the motherboard unless its getting in the way while removing the fans.

Yeah I don't think the intake would be restricted to that extent by the bottom panel.

Can you remove both the fans from the heatsink assembly and check once? If possible the cover of the fan assembly as well. You don't need to remove the heatsink from the motherboard unless its getting in the way while removing the fans.
Yeah I did all that everything looks good. With the bottom panel on, I can feel very less airflow from the vents. With it off, the airflow is high.

I was skeptical that the bottom panel would be that restrictive. So I googled to see how it looks.

I think I can understand now lol.

Attachments

• 1712638736780.png
    1712638736780.png
    327.8 KB · Views: 22
Back