Anyone here studying at or know about 'IIIT' colleges ?

avi

Skilled
I am considering colleges which accept without GATE for MTech / MS by Research / PhD programmes. I found out about IIIT colleges, they have their own entrance examinations.

Notice that it is not IIT, it's IIIT - International Institute of Information Technology.

http://www.iiit.ac.in/

Also if you know any colleges which accept without GATE score, please reply here. Thank you !

Don't know about the IIIT-H but some of my friends completed PG-Diploma course from IIIT-Banglorer and are placed in well known IT companies,that course is no longer offered by the institute but surely their M-Tech course will also provide better job prospects..

for more details about IIIT-B you can visit http://www.iiitb.ac.in/

I graduated out of IIIT-H. Completed an MS by Research after a B-Tech. The MS was fully funded by the university and I didn't even have to shell out a penny. In fact I got a stipend too. After my masters, I was placed in Microsoft Research in Bangalore.

Word of advice - this is probably one of the best places in India if you want to do real academic research - especially in the fields of Computer Graphics/Vision/Machine Learning/Distributed Databases/Language Technologies. This is not your usual term paper publishing as seen in most places - this is proper, serious stuff which gets published in top conferences/journals in the world. It is not easy, but if you are keen on doing something out of the ordinary, there are few places that are better, especially in India. This is true of the MS/PhD programs.

The MTech program is more course oriented and doesn't involve much research. Its more of a do your courses, get your grades, get a job type of program.

#tech_bot - Well I needed info someone who actually studied from there, but thanks for replying !

#Chaos - Thank you very much for replying !! I finally found someone who actually studied from IIIT-H. From other forums I found out that IIIT is exceptionally good & also very hard to get into like IITs & RECs !

Can you name few other colleges which are really good, except IISc, IIT & RECs ?

Thanks you very much
<

From what I hear, there are decent folks in Delhi University, BITS Pilani and Goa, BHU, Bengal College of Engineering and DA-IICT (Dhirubhai ambani whatever)

I did not give GATE this year & that screwed up all my plans.

I was looking for univs which are good & have their own exams & accept students without GATE. That's how I found out about IIIT.

But looking by replies, seems IIIT is really good & the entrance will be tough to crack. Now I have two choices, get into okayish college now OR write next GATE, after one year.

I was a fool & didn't know there are good univs apart from IITs. And now I think it'll be better for me to study one more year, prepare for GATE & try for good colleges & also IIIT & other good univs.

Like Chaos mentioned, there is some pretty good research that goes on at IIIT-H. I've met a couple of professors from there, my friend's father being on of them. Some of the research they are doing in Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning is very impressive. (That is along the lines of what we do at our company, so I had particularly asked about those areas.) In fact, looking at some of their course material, research and professors, it might be the best option for CS except maybe for a couple of the IITs.

(I remember it being one of the entrance exams I had given in my time, along with IIT, EAMCET and Roorkee. It was fairly challenging.)

Back