Audio Anyone here who heavily disliked the AT-M40X?

@ithehappy
What was your audio setup configuration for testing the M40X? (DAC/Audio card, preferred genre of music, bitrate/quality of source files, ...)
My PC, straight out of my motherboard (Realtek HD 6.0.1.6037), just via E11. Primary file was a show with DTS 1536 kbps, 48000 Hz, 5.1 track. And two FLAC music files, which's details I can't mention at this moment cause they are on my external which is in other room.

Even I personally dislike the sound signature of the M50's , not that they are low in details but hate the presentation in general. Based on reviews I read I was expecting it to sound similar to my Triple Fi 10 sans the soundstage but all it does is gives much tighter and better bass and not much instrument separation which if I still ignore the presentation is very dull in nature and I guess that is the way the M50 sounds with any source. Have ran it straight out my Sony Vaio Sound card , xonar dx , Sansa Clip+ , Mobile phone, the Fiio E17 both in DAC/AMP mode but still I cant find myself liking the headphone and don't think it deserves the Giant Killer status it has got.
I purchased a V-Moda M80 later on despite people warning me that it is very similar in nature to the M50 sans the bass quantity but I find V-Modas to have much better mids and not so flat presentation as the M50s and a better soundstage as well. However even the M80 is not a very engaging headphone either and can sound dull at times but nowhere as fatiguing, dull as the M50.

Even I personally dislike the sound signature of the M50's , not that they are low in details but hate the presentation in general. Based on reviews I read I was expecting it to sound similar to my Triple Fi 10 sans the soundstage but all it does is gives much tighter and better bass and not much instrument separation which if I still ignore the presentation is very dull in nature and I guess that is the way the M50 sounds with any source. Have ran it straight out my Sony Vaio Sound card , xonar dx , Sansa Clip+ , Mobile phone, the Fiio E17 both in DAC/AMP mode but still I cant find myself liking the headphone and don't think it deserves the Giant Killer status it has got.
I purchased a V-Moda M80 later on despite people warning me that it is very similar in nature to the M50 sans the bass quantity but I find V-Modas to have much better mids and not so flat presentation as the M50s and a better soundstage as well. However even the M80 is not a very engaging headphone either and can sound dull at times but nowhere as fatiguing, dull as the M50.
Well at least somebody else who doesn't use a "dhobi ka kutta" (I don't even know what the frak that means, LOL) didn't like the M50 too, hmm, I wonder why is that ;)

Anyway, ordered the MDR-100AAP.

PS: If any mod is seeing this, kindly CLOSE the topic.

I didn't like both M50 & M50x..
Sounded too synthetic and uncomfortable for usage. Bass is good though. Sold both of them.

Well at least somebody else who doesn't use a "dhobi ka kutta" (I don't even know what the frak that means, LOL) didn't like the M50 too, hmm, I wonder why is that ;)

Anyway, ordered the MDR-100AAP.

PS: If any mod is seeing this, kindly CLOSE the topic.
Dhobi Ka Kutta ?? , what is that supposed to mean

If possible please let me know - What is the Hi-Res Driver as Sony mentioning at their selected range of Headphone models. Now Audio Tech also including this logo at their MSR-7 package.

The model MDR-100AAP comes with 40mm HD Driver...

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't give much a damn about all those technical charts, and I sure as heck don't want to buy something based on those Head Fi nerds.

I simply asked because I bought it, hated the sound, returned it, and now I am planning to make a new purchase. I use a Sony V55, which I absolutely love (I would have used the word adore only if these were a little more comfortable), but it is broken in different places, so was forced to buy something, was aiming for the M50X, someone in Head Fi said, its a bass heavy headphone, M40X would be better, but I absolutely loathed how it sounded, muffled, confined, dull, whatever adjective you want to use. That's why I thought I need to change my approach of asking, need to find someone who didn't like the M40X like me.

Anyway, buying the DT700 Pro, at least that is the decision so far, don't know, I am scared anyway. Finding the headphone according to my choice couldn't be any more tough!
You are a basshead go for beyerdynamic dt770

Back