Anyone interested in learning Linux, i'll teach for free :)

sunzeal

Disciple
Hi

I have been working as a freelancer on Linux from past 2 years and i love it.

So since i will be free for quiet some time, i will be more than happy to teach Linux to the ones who are intending to make their way into this field :)

PS : It would be similar to personal tutor :) . I live in Mumbai .

nice initiative! i am inclined to learn some basics of it, not for professional-purpose, but just out of casual interest. even if you could provide some short basic lessons to me online or could direct me to some portals with free basic lessons, i would be more than happy!

there should be a reddit style AMA instead of tutorial. that way it would be targeted and specific. just a thought. :)

nice initiative! i am inclined to learn some basics of it, not for professional-purpose, but just out of casual interest. even if you could provide some short basic lessons to me online or could direct me to some portals with free basic lessons, i would be more than happy!

sure, you can let me know via PM what do you intend to learn, i can guide you via Skype :)

Why not write tutorials instead> this will benefit a larger audience

hmm well yeah :p planning to do it when i get some free time, as it does take lot of time, thanks alot for suggesting :D . Actually, i have started making tutorials for B.Sc IT folks as they have Linux subject in poriton. Here is sample image :

2e67lna.jpg

^what are looking for in particular ?

just the basics, as i have started using a router with dd-wrt loaded on it, and a NAS with debian on it (both done for me by a forum-member), and i don't want to just follow instructions blindly, but even understand what am doing or ought to do. moreover, it would be interesting to learn something new. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1385959689][/DOUBLEPOST]
sure, you can let me know via PM what do you intend to learn, i can guide you via Skype :)

thanks! but i don't know what to ask and look for, hence i stated just 'basics'. you might have a better idea where to put me to for the beginning. :)

which concept are you trying to teach? and also which tools you use?

In B.Sc IT they have topic called : " Bootloaders " , so i was teaching about the stage 1 bootloader : Master Boot Record. I use OneNote along with Camtasia for recording.

thanks! but i don't know what to ask and look for, hence i stated just 'basics'. you might have a better idea where to put me to for the beginning.

great, i'll PM you my skype :)

PS : It's not allowing me to send PM to you.

Last edited:
I thought you meant you were planning to teach just regular day-to-day commands on the terminal. But your diagram/video shows you're starting with the low-level stuff as well. That's more like it! Are you planning to release that video? If not, I might PM you if I get the time.

just the basics, as i have started using a router with dd-wrt loaded on it, and a NAS with debian on it (both done for me by a forum-member), and i don't want to just follow instructions blindly, but even understand what am doing or ought to do. moreover, it would be interesting to learn something new. :)
Start with installing Linux distro, I would prefer Ubuntu. You can either install in a virtual machine or in a separate HDD partition and dual boot with Windows (or this) I would prefer dual booted Linux or a machine with only Linux ;-)

Then start with basic linux commands. File handling, users, permissions etc. Following important commands and operators come to my mind now :

|, <, >, >>, &, ack, awk, cat, chmod, chown, cp, mv, rm, export, find, locate, grep, kill, top, ps, sed, sort, tail, more, less, top, vim, vi, emacs, pico, whereis, which, xargs, sudo, su

Learn to use all of these and be good them. You should be confident to all of these. Then you can start learning scripting language to automate the task. You could learn about sockets, ports etc all networking related stuff. Just yesterday I myself wrote a multi-threaded web server, works fine for my needs :D

You should definitely read this book, it's a one of the must have books. It's written by Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike (Google about them if you don't know who they are). And this also looks fine.

There are many things you can do, like networking, automation, shell scripts etc. pick one and be good in it ;-)

All the best!

thanks a lot! really appreciate that. sunzeal also directed me to a youtube video-tutorial. both these should suffice for me i think.

Wow nice,guys can you telling how can i partition hdd,Problem is I got laptop without OS,i installed Mint directly without partitioning disk.if i have to dual boot now how can i proceed?

Wow nice,guys can you telling how can i partition hdd,Problem is I got laptop without OS,i installed Mint directly without partitioning disk.if i have to dual boot now how can i proceed?
Hi

You can create new partition via fdisk or parted utility. This tutorial can help you :-

http://www.howtogeek.com/106873/

Remember the size of partition that you created. Install Windows DVD and install O.S in that 2nd partition.

Important : After installing Windows, it will affect your bootloader of Mint machine so you won't be able to boot into Mint. You can refer this guide to fix it :-

http://www.wikihow.com/Restore-Linux-Grub-After-Installing-Windows

There're you go with Multi-Boot OS :)

@sunzeal

Have you had experience dual booting Fedora or CentOS alongside Windows 8 - especially on laptops where Win8 comes preinstalled?
I suffered through a week of trying to install CentOS 6.4 alongside my preinstalled Win8, wading my way through stuff like SecureBoot, UEFI, GPT. I later had to give up and uninstalled Win8 in favor of Win7+CentOS.

I thought you meant you were planning to teach just regular day-to-day commands on the terminal. But your diagram/video shows you're starting with the low-level stuff as well. That's more like it! Are you planning to release that video?

Currently, i am not planning to release those videos, actually those are meant for B.Sc IT students for their subject " Linux ". These videos does not cover in-depth concepts which i intend to create in latter time for general audience.

Have you had experience dual booting Fedora or CentOS alongside Windows 8 - especially on laptops where Win8 comes preinstalled?
I suffered through a week of trying to install CentOS 6.4 alongside my preinstalled Win8, wading my way through stuff like SecureBoot, UEFI, GPT. I later had to give up and uninstalled Win8 in favor of Win7+CentOS.

This is the exact reason why everyone was cursing Microsoft, they think that they are the only Operating System and refuses to fairly cooperate with Open Source world.

If you have CentOS installed, i guess if you create a new partition for Windows 8 and install W8 in that partition. Installing Windows will mess up the bootloader ( GRUB ) which you will have to fix it again otherwise you will only see Windows option during boot time and not CentOS.

http://www.wikihow.com/Restore-Linux-Grub-After-Installing-Windows

Back