Anyone planning to get the Acer Iconia

raul

Adept
Hi All,

I am surprised there is no thread on the Acer Iconia since its the first Honeycomb tablet officially launched in India. I saw the ad in TOI on 4th April and Acer seems to have launched the tablet in India officially at Rs 27,999. And the ad mentions its available at Reliance Digital and Ezone.

I saw some comparisons between this and the Transformer and the opinion is mixed, some really like the full USB port on the Iconia which allows one to connect all sorts of peripherals including any type of keyboard, and the Transformer of course has a gorgeous IPS screen but buggy keyboard and some lag.

So the big question is anyone planning to get it here, and can we have a review. BTW its priced at $450 in the US and with tax that will be around $490 so that's a gap of around 4-5k for the Indian version.

The first time I came to know of the 2 tablets from Acer was from the TOI ad that came a couple of days back. :p

Specs look pretty decent to me but got to give it a try at a Reliance Digital/ezone outlet.

And from the ad it's seems to be available at plenty of places across Mumbai apart from Reliance Digital and ezone.

Cmon this is the preeminent forum for tech in the country, how can the first honeycomb tablet launched in India given the serious cribbing that happens when things are not launched here when they are abroad fail to elicit any threads, discussion or excitement?

Here are the specs - it is top of the line apart from the missing IPS screen but from reviews online it seems the LCD panel use by Acer is a very good one. Infact from the reviews online it seems some folks prefer this to the Transformer.

1GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core processor

10.1-inch display with 1280×800 resolution

16/32GB - Don't know about the India version, should be 32

Front camera and 5MP rear camera

HDMI

Google Android 3.0 Honeycomb with Flash support.

The screen of this tablet is very bad, and also just 262/256k color not 16m. I would never buy it with this screen!

Btw, my first speculation hits bang on :p

A501 costs about 600 swiss franks or 30k.

A500 should cost 500-550 swiss franks that means.

And that is more or less the MRP in India! :D

You were speculating about Asus Transformer in some other thread,o.p is talking about Acer iconia.

Give it a break dude!

rite said:
The screen of this tablet is very bad, and also just 262/256k color not 16m. I would never buy it with this screen!
D

I haven't seen any review or forum discussion mentioning its a bad screen. Most of the reviews I have seen say its an surprisingly good display.

Some sites have this listed at 16 million and some at 256, I think there may be a lack of clarity on this from Acer, it is unlikely the screen would get such good reviews if it was 256 colours.

i am more interested in the asus one as it has the addon keyboard & usb ports to turn it into a semi-netbook

I am not talking about the transformer. I am talking about Indian pricing.

+-5-7% of Switzerland retail price is what we pay in India, at most a 10% fluctuation.

As for USA, we usually pay around 55+-5/7 a dollar, and we pay around the MSRP.

This is true for most companies and nearly all netbooks and phones (but may not be for high end laptops).

PERIOD!

I expect to get my Acer Iconia today in Pune. Will be able to post a review once I get some time with it. Trying to find it in Pune was quite difficult!

Got my Acer Iconia on Monday. It's beautiful. Don't see the grid that some reviews claim to see -- you have to look really really hard to see it. USB works for keyboards, flash drives and small disk drives. Does not work for USB mouse. Stereo output through speakers is good. Slightly tinny and lacking in bass, as is to be expected for a device of this kind.

Occasional crashes when installing/uninstalling new software.

GPS lock is pretty good. The magnetic compass works well.

Acer is giving a free case with a purchase of this tablet. It's the closest thing to a "smart" case. Just two tiny magnets and a design of seams that allow the case to be converted into a stand for placing the tablet. Very cool!

A lot of folks on the net have reported getting an update 2 days ago but I haven't received it yet. It's not the 3.1 update but just a bugfix to 3.0.1.

More as I discover....

Back