Graphic Cards Anyone using ATI 5xxx + nVidia 9xxx For dedicated Physics?

Infected

Skilled
Anyone using ATI 5xxx + nVidia 9xxx For dedicated Physics?

I am interested in setting this up. Have read a bit that it can really boost CPU scores for vantage and hopefully in realy gaming world. If anyone is using this setup or running any older nVidia card for dedicated Physics with a Ati GPU please post you results and observations here.

Looking at how cheap 9600GT is now a days this seems like a decent addition.

Feel free to please comment.

Link of the setup used by someone else

Quote from another forum:

"Frame rates in the benchmark with Physx on high went from an average of 21 or so to an average of high 40s from memory ...
Also CPU score for Vantage went from 25159 to 41861 :) Definitely makes a difference."

Cheers,

But you'll have to wait for modded drivers which may or may not give you the same stability and performance.

Why do you even need PhysX that much ?

I'd get a better GPU than spend the money in getting a PPU.

^^What modded drivers? Works with normal drivers..?

A better card than a 5870?

I want to increase my CPU score which gets a boost from Physx, thats why I rather spend there than upgrade to i7 now...

OP:

An ATI card with an nVidia card for PhysX would need modified / soft mod drivers. Normal will not work. You will need to install the nVidia PhysX drivers+GeForce Drivers. And as soon as 'they' see a red card as the primary accelerator, PhysX will get disabled. Also as of now the 10.3s going forward, will also disable PhysX. You will need to use legacy version of the GeForce and Radeon drivers. Stability is your own risk.

^^Humm, true that some versions of nV drivers will disable either card if it sees a red one<-Thats really cheap on nVidia's part IMO.

Need to do more research on which drivers are working etc, as well as stability.

But it really is quite interesting :

"I ran the Batman benchmark with Physx on high, here's some results:

5850 only, Vsync on - 14 fps low, 23 fps average, 58 fps high

5850 + 9600GT, Vsync on - 46 fps low, 58 fps average, 60 fps high"

I really wouldn't mind adding a 9600GT if it will boost my machines BC2 FPS by even 10-20 for Min FPS ie.

Check this out a CPU score of 33K+ for a E8400 in vantage

3dmarkvantagegtx260xsli.gif

Source

:)

How to use nVidia Crad as Physx with ATi as main card:

I just wanted to make this tutorial so you can enjoy your games that use physx when using a ATI card as your main GFX. To make this mod work at all, you need a Physx compatible video card and two PCIex slots (whether it be x16/x8/x1). The 8xxx series and up are physx compatible but i would recommend a 9600GT or above to make sure its powerful enough to render the physx. I have attached the files below you need to get this mod working.

FIRST. Install the ATI card into the machine, Then install the newest drivers (10.3 at the moment). Then shut the PC down.

SECOND. Install the Nvidia card in the second PCIex slot, then boot into safe mode. Install the 196.21 drivers. After the drivers are installed DO NOT RESTART.

THIRD. Run the physx mod 1.20 exe file you extracted. when the program loads press CAKE and it will patch the files in your OS. once its done restart the PC.

To check to see if it is working, run fluidmark and it should say hardware physx. if it doesn't, go to nvidia control panel and disable physx then re enable physx and test again.

* NOTES:

1. If you are unable to patch the files due to "file in use" error, you may try one of the following solutions:

- Terminate all NVIDIA runtimes (nv***.exe) and Windows Explorer shell (explorer.exe) manually before patching.

- Try using the mod under Safe Mode.

2. It is safe to apply the patch several times - all needed files will be patched only once.

3. After reboot you may find "*.tmp" files in system directories left after patching. You can safely delete or leave them.

4. This mod only works on Windows 7 and Windows XP. for some reason it doesn't work on VISTA

5. The only problem i have noticed is when you restart, it sometimes doesn't enable physx even tho Nvidia control panel says it is. just go to nvidia control panel and disable physx then re enable physx and test again. ALWAYS CHECK WITH FLUIDMARK!! It should says hardware physx at the top of the test.

Here is mine running a 5850 with 9600GT as physx.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1214x638.

* DOWNLOADS

Physx Mod 1.20

Windows 7/Vista 64-bit

Windows 7/Vista 32-bit

Windows XP 32-bit

Windows XP 64-bit

* SOURCES

I want to give a special thanks to Wraithchild_67 and TechPowerUp!!!

Also to the creators of the Physx Mod Patch.

Also a to Nvidia/ATI

Source

^^

If a game supports nVidia Hardware PhysX, the above combination (if the OP can get it to work), will give a boost since the CPU will not process it, freeing up the CPU.

will give a boost since the CPU will not process it, freeing up the CPU.

Exactly what I am looking for...Since I feel my CPU even though is a E8400 at stock is limiting my 5870. I do see a difference when I OC it to 3.6 Ghz from 3.0 Ghz.

I would try it ..just that I dont have a 9600GT....anyone in pune free over the weekend with a 9600GT around....?
that's false, the score isn't of the CPU, it's the GPU too, take it as cheating in exams.....

Cheating?? LOL... It don't matter if thats what you'd call it as long as it makes the gaming experience better or smoother, I dont care about benchmarks, been running after them for over 15 years, its not a high score I'm looking for here....I just want to reduce the Min. FPS spikes we/I get.

comp@ddict said:
that's false, the score isn't of the CPU, it's the GPU too, take it as cheating in exams.....
if that is cheating then over clocking your CPU is cheating as well ....kinda in a raw definition way ...

wonder whtever happened to the physx support that ati was supposed bring using some other freeware engine.

^^ Dude read the quote:
"FIRST. Install the ATI card into the machine, Then install the newest drivers (10.3 at the moment). Then shut the PC down."

So he is using 10.3 in the guide posted...
try it out if you have a 9xxx lying around...

Just did this with 8800GT and 5850 (Catalyst 10.3),

even afterburner detects 8800GT as a second GPU!

Now does TF2 use PhysX ?

This will only work with games that utilize Physx, which are maybe 5 at teh moment. Increment in CPU score doee NOT mean that every game will benefit from it. Only the games that utilize nvidia's physx would benefit from it. eg batman AA and a handful of other games like GRID and dirt2.
AND no, BFBC2 does not have physx. You will see 0 improvement in this game.

But the idea is good. Only if there were many games that would do it. I wanted to do this 6 months ago, but realised that only a handful of games support H/W accelerated physx. So, I dropped the idea.

Infected said:
Cheating?? LOL... It don't matter if thats what you'd call it as long as it makes the gaming experience better or smoother, I dont care about benchmarks, been running after them for over 15 years, its not a high score I'm looking for here....I just want to reduce the Min. FPS spikes we/I get.

So why did you want to highlight the erroneous vantage CPU scores in your previous posts? The only information that score conveys is that the nVidia GPU processes the Physics faster than the CPU. It does not mean that the CPU is performing better if thats what you are interpreting from the score.

The score comes out higher because Vantage assigns some Physics intensive work to measure the CPU performance and instead of the CPU the GPU takes up the work and completes it faster than the CPU does (due to the hardware physx acceleration). Vantage does not realize that the work was processed up by the GPU, so it just assumes that the CPU finished the work in such and such time and gives out a score that does not even represent the CPU performance for the most part.

As for Physics itself, I think its role in most of the current games is too insignifcant (only cosmetic) to deserve a dedicated investment. One of the reasons I didn't bother getting a low end nVidia GPU for physx myself. Games in which Physics is an important part of the game play like Red Faction : Guerella in any case work well on both GPU's. However if you have a spare nVidia GPU lying around, or if you are getting one real cheap then for sure go for it.

I liked the Physics in RF:G though it was Havok being processed by the CPU. Timeshift was similar.

asingh said:
^^
If a game supports nVidia Hardware PhysX, the above combination (if the OP can get it to work), will give a boost since the CPU will not process it, freeing up the CPU.

Exactly what I am looking for...Since I feel my CPU even though is a E8400 at stock is limiting my 5870. I do see a difference when I OC it to 3.6 Ghz from 3.0 Ghz.

I would try it ..just that I dont have a 9600GT....anyone in pune free over the weekend with a 9600GT around....?

It won't work in BC2, that game doesn't USER PHYsx... In short, the nVidia card has no role to play at all.

I mentioned cheating in CPU score, not gameplay.

In gameplay, only Physx games will be affected, I REPEAT ONLY PHYSX GAMES WILL BE AFFECTED, no other game has any advantage, actually there's no difference if u run a non-PHYSX game.

Here is a list, of nVidia PhysX compatible games. The users can test/bench them on any of these games. Metro 2033 (the system killer) is there....!

Back