Graphic Cards Anyone using ATI 5xxx + nVidia 9xxx For dedicated Physics?

In gameplay, only Physx games will be affected, I REPEAT ONLY PHYSX GAMES WILL BE AFFECTED, no other game has any advantage, actually there's no difference if u run a non-PHYSX game.

Quite obvious when we are talking about a dedicated physx processor.

...I dont know about how many games you guys play, but I generally stick to one or two or max 3 games at a time, meaning I may have 20 games installed but I am currently only playing BC2. And so for me if this physx makes a difference I'd try it. I really dont care at the moment which games DO NOT use it it the question for me is, does the game I am currently playing gets smoother or not...

I had posted the vantage screen shot only for reference that this thing works well to SUPPORT the CPU. Thats all I am trying to imply.

let me look up some scores with BC2 and physx, just that i'm in office and behind a firewall for any search related to 'GAMES'

Lord Nemesis said:
So why did you want to highlight the erroneous vantage CPU scores in your previous posts? The only information that score conveys is that the nVidia GPU processes the Physics faster than the CPU. It does not mean that the CPU is performing better if thats what you are interpreting from the score.

The score comes out higher because Vantage assigns some Physics intensive work to measure the CPU performance and instead of the CPU the GPU takes up the work and completes it faster than the CPU does (due to the hardware physx acceleration). Vantage does not realize that the work was processed up by the GPU, so it just assumes that the CPU finished the work in such and such time and gives out a score that does not even represent the CPU performance for the most part.

As for Physics itself, I think its role in most of the current games is too insignifcant (only cosmetic) to deserve a dedicated investment. One of the reasons I didn't bother getting a low end nVidia GPU for physx myself. Games in which Physics is an important part of the game play like Red Faction : Guerella in any case work well on both GPU's. However if you have a spare nVidia GPU lying around, or if you are getting one real cheap then for sure go for it.
Totally agree with what you are saying.
The benchmark score was only there to highlight the fact that a dedicated Physx does make a major difference in SOME cases where Physx is used.

hmm.. so no real advantage for me as of now, since TF2 is is the only game i play, and no physx required there. :/

Disabling the 8800 in device manager will turn off the card right ?
or should i just remove the card from the system physically?

does the game I am currently playing gets smoother or not...

man some guys are really stuck up and don't read what others wrote PROPERLY.

I repeat, YOU WILL SEE NO DIFFERENCE (forget smoother gameplay, you might run into issues) in non-Physx games like BC2.

Nevertheless, go on try it out...

H@rsh said:
Disabling the 8800 in device manager will turn off the card right ?

Correct, my Lord...! The system would stop seeing it, but I think the fan will still continue to spin...not to sure. Try it out.

asingh said:
Here is a list, of nVidia PhysX compatible games. The users can test/bench them on any of these games. Metro 2033 (the system killer) is there....!

I guess you missed this line -
There are many titles that use the PhysX SDK, but not all include support for PhysX hardware and instead only support Nvidia based GPUs

Back