Anyone with TPLink XE75 mesh has WiFi 6E working for you?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
I got the TPLink XE75 wifi 6E mesh set a few months ago but have not been able to get my Moto Edge 30 phone to connect to the Wifi 6E SSID.

The TPLink Deco app claims to have the 6ghz band enabled and Moto phone/support claims it's enabled too but not visible.

I don't have other devices to test, hence posting here to check whether anyone else with the XE75 is able to connect to wifi 6E?

This is what I suspect too.

No option to change region.

Router seems to be USA hardware and firmware version.

But the Deco app checks location GPS so maybe it disables 6E even though in the UI it clams SSID is enabled.

If it claims to be enabled then it should be otherwise the option should have been greyed out or not existed at all. IMHO might be hardware fault (phone or router or both). Slightly OT I have an intel ax210 wifi card in my laptop and from what I have read the settings regarding 6e will only show up once (will stay after that) it detects a 6e signal. Don't have a 6e or even 6 router to test this. Might be the same for phones.

That is the sensible approach. But not all manufacturer implementations are the same. For example, I've seen code that at the Wi-Fi chipset level restricts the 2.4GHz channels to 0 to 11 even though at the higher levels, it shows channels 0 to 13. Only by setting the appropriate region do channels 12 and 13 work. I had some D-Link units display channels 12 and 13 as available but would not work when the set region is India (Although they should).

These low-level restrictions are for compliance with various international certifications. They make it legal for the chipset to be used as-is or packaged in other products without recertification in those regions. I suspect the mapping between the user-facing layers and the underlying layers is incorrect.

Last edited:
If you restarted the router manually after changing location the option to set channel 12 or 13 would've gone eventually. I faced this issue as well, thought it was some cache thing. A lot of old routers did have crappy outdated software/firmware so I know where you're coming from. I did all this mumbo jumbo so that 2 routers at home would not overlap and eventually gave up. On a different note I had an old macbook pro (early 2008) which would refuse to connect to channel 13 because my neighbors wifi router was broadcasting as USA. So the laptop thought it was in USA even though it was connecting to my network and my routers location was row. When my neighbor upgraded his router and location was row, the laptop started connecting to channel 13 like magic. This I think was specifically an apple thing.

I completely agree with you. That was the case with fcc regulation which gave some manufacturers (HP/lenovo) an opportunity to whitelist their laptops and charge crazy prices for inferior wifi cards

Lastly 6e as a whole might be location dependant. The chipsets will be global, will detect the location automatically and deploy whatever is allowed. This way manufacturers won't need certification and be allowed to sell officially everywhere. I have no personal experience in this so can't be sure.

OP - Write a mail or call tp link customer service for clarity. This should have been plug and play. Don't rule out hardware fault. I am interested in this deco mesh setup too.

PS - I'm no expert, just trying to help.

Tp link has made 6e affordable. Never did I think it will not work. I feel for you. That said, sorry for the long post (rant) ahead.

I will give you my experience with customer service. I had a c6 used as an access point, which would drop internet connection. There should be thread about this somewhere here regarding channel 13. I live in Delhi and nehru place rma center is about 20km from my place one way. I had been there before a couple of times, it is literally a hole in the wall, understaffed and overworked. Did not want to go there and be told saar please reinstall or update you firmware (they might do it there), check and come back next week. You have to be firm but extremely polite. So I went the phone route. There corporate office is in mumbai and got there direct number (I don't remember now but google is your friend).

1st call was to some wannabe who told me to connect lan port to lan port. I told him I don't want to do that as this router has access point feature and want to be able to see the light (orange/green) on router (that's how I knew its dropping connection) and their infographic shows to connect lan to wan port. He did not budge and told me I'm being difficult (retarded). He was so confident that I got his credentials in no time. Using this I sought out a senior.
After a few more calls I finally got in touch with a senior. He heard me out patiently, apologized immediately and setup an rma ticket. My runner went with rma ticket in hand and deposited said router easily. Took over a month to be replaced but everything is working fine now. I had an extra c60 (fast ethernet not gigabit) which I used in the mean time. In hindsight it would have been a lot easier to just buy a new router.

There are some highly qualified seniors who are willing to listen and provide a solution but it is a difficult task to get to them. Did not send an email. I chose not to get disheartened. Persistence is key. Sad but true.

Just got junk notification from Deco app that TPLink Wi-Fi 7 product launch on November 14th

Time to upgrade my mesh and phone again?

Any idea whether Wi-Fi 7 will also be disallowed like Wi-Fi 6E is in India?

Back