PC Peripherals APC Smart-UPS SUA1500I Queries

shadow2get

Recruit
I am going to buy the APC Smart-UPS SUA1500I today or tomorrow.
My current system (also in siggy):
Intel Core i7 920 + Asus P6T Deluxe v2 + 6 GB Corsair + Corsair TX750 PSU + Dell 2408WFP + Logitech Z5500 + NVIDIA 6200.

Will be shortly buying a PS3 and ATI 5850/5870 or NVIDIA 470/480(not sure due to excessive power requirements & high price). Also will be attaching these: DVD Player + STB.

FYI, I would be needing a backup of atleast 15-30minutes.

Earlier was using a Back-UPS 650VA (surprisingly didn't have any issues with my PSU). It got screwed up and did an AMC to get it replaced. But it wouldn't be enough for future requirements. So got a Back-UPS RS 1500VA, which ended up screwing up my PSU(don't know what I was thinking when I bought it :S. Because I had read in the forums abt the incompatibilty of Active PSUs with simulated / approximated to sine wave power supply). So quickly made a deal with the dealer to get it exchanged, who was kind enough to do it at a price of Rs. 800 :( being deducted (for being a regular & loyal customer of his for years now).

Had some queries:

1. The UPS provides output sockets of type IEC 320 C13. Not that I know of, but do you get adapters / converters from these sockets into normal type 'D' socket types or India 2/3-pin 6A ones? If yes, where can I get them in Bangalore?

2. Currently I am quoted a price of Rs. 15800 + 5% VAT. Is this too high or low?

3. What would be the average life of the battery that comes with the UPS? How much would the new one cost ?

4. Lastly, any alternatives to this UPS (Same / different ones)? What abt the APC 1400/1500VA XL ones with extended battery capabilities? Is it worth going for?

I'm not too informed about these but just curious that at that price, wouldn't one of those home-ups/sine-wave inverters be a better choice? They would provide backup to a lot more than you have listed and will come with a huge ass battery to run them for a long time..

well i have the apc Xl versions aka UXI,mine is the SUA1000uxi,so with the present and future loads,those 18ah batteries in the sua1500i won't give enough back up ,you better get the XL or UXI range and get atleast a pair of 40ah batteries.

regarding the conversion plugs they costs aroun Rs65 plenty available in sp road,one of the first shops have them.

@shantanugoel
Actually I have a APC 800VA Home UPS (Square wave/Quasi-sine wave) already situated in my room and I don't want to buy another huge Home-UPS(Sine-wave) and connect that to my computer and others. Agreed it will give more backup time, but I don't have that much place. I think the maintainance cost and battery replacement cost will be much higher.

@adder
Thanks for the reply. I will have a look at the shops for those socket adapters.
I will inquire about the Extended Life UPS you have mentioned.

BTW some queries for you
* What is the price of the SUA1000uxi?
* I didn't quite understand about the battery. Does APC provide the battery? If yes, can you tell me the model number of the batteries and their cost. Or is it like the home UPS ones where I need to buy the battery?

Actually, I am in a tight budget right now. I will be spending around 15.5k if I buy the SUA1500I one. Can spend another 2k if essential or really worth it.
So if the XL or UXI ones (plus a battery) cost within this budget then I can go for it, else not.

---------------

BTW, can any APC SUA1500i UPS owners respond to the above queries I had posted earlier abt the cost, battery life & maintenance costs ?

SUA1000uxi... i guess Adder bought it recently. It should cost you around 11k i guess and you can connect 2 12v 25AH batteries... it should give a decent back up.

SUA1000UXI does not come with a battery. you will have to connect a external battery to it.

Intel Core i7 920 + Asus P6T Deluxe v2 + 6 GB Corsair + Corsair TX750 PSU + Dell 2408WFP + Logitech Z5500 + NVIDIA 6200.

LOL

4. Lastly, any alternatives to this UPS (Same / different ones)? What abt the APC 1400/1500VA XL ones with extended battery capabilities? Is it worth going for?

that if u want to continue your work with no electricity for fore than just 15 minutes... otherwise this has no use.

well i bought it before the 2010 budget effect,it costed 10.7k .
if you buy it from apc distributer they will usualy bundle crappy batteries,best is to buy it from a battery dealer.
with 15k budget,you can get a pair of 26ah sealed maintaince free batteries from Quanta a division from AMARON batteries,it will cost around 2000 each,while 40ah sealed batteries will cost 3k each,all prices are before the budget effect.

the batteries now be expensive by 2% due to the increase in VAT and excise duty and additionally perhaps the fuel prices would have also had an impact.

Back