PC Peripherals APC UPS locks when inverter gets turned on.. delay circuit solution ?

nfsnfs

Adept
I have APC 500 ups and APC inverter BI 1000 .Everything runs fine .

When there is power outage , APC UPS turns on and then APC inverter turn on. Since UPS is faster than inverter .And UPS goes back to green then since its getting power from inverter . This part is fine.

Now when the power comes back( on), the inverter switches to online power and this switching some how locks the UPS and UPS is blinking red ( and its off even though with blinking red and the entire PC is off :mad: ) . This happens 2 out of 3 times . :no:

Since the inverter switches fast ,this happens . The sudden switching when power is on is not handled by UPS .The UPS some how gets locked due to improper signal/dirty output from inverter or do no what .

If there is a delay ( that is inverter switches back and stabilizes for few seconds and then we turn on UPS ,everything is fine ).

How to solve this ? , delay circuit ? .When the delay is there , the UPS keeps feeding the PC until the inverter stabilizes .

V guard stabilizers have 2-4 minute delay with the power is on ,it will take 2 minutes to get the output voltage after the input is feed .

Can I get similar unit without buying a the V guard stabilizer? :huh:

nfsnfs said:
I have APC 500 ups and APC inverter BI 1000 .Everything runs fine .

When there is power outage , APC UPS turns on and then APC inverter turn on. Since UPS is faster than inverter .And UPS goes back to green then since its getting power from inverter . This part is fine.

Now when the power comes back( on), the inverter switches to online power and this switching some how locks the UPS and UPS is blinking red ( and its off even though with blinking red and the entire PC is off :mad: ) . This happens 2 out of 3 times . :no:

The first part is alright.

I don't experience the second part as the first part is enough indication that the PC needs to be turned off asap.

So when the inverter switches back to the mains, all is fine and you can then turn your PC back on.

One basically uses the inverter to power the lights, fans and other essential appliances/devices, so extra load (a PC) isn't advisable.

My 2 Cents.

@toxcimind , I just gave a rough timing that this happens 2 out of 3 times , but this might happen even 1-4 times . But not sure , so the remaining 3 times the switching is fine , the power comes back , the inverter switches from DC supply to AC supply and between this switching the UPS gets on for 2 seconds and once the AC is on ,the UPS switches back on fine .

So it does works most of times , but its unpredictable .Its not like this set up does not work, but some time it locks up .

BTW when power is off , only my PC and one light is on , nothing else ,so load is less than 50 % .

nfsnfs said:
BTW when power is off , only my PC and one light is on , nothing else ,so load is less than 50 % .

Oh alright.Traditionally an inverter powers what I had mentioned earlier.

Unpredictable as it seems, better to avoid any complications.

I still suggest you turn off your PC asap during a power cut, i.e if you think the power isn't going to come back anytime soon.

nfsnfs said:
between this switching the UPS gets on for 2 seconds

Hmmm, that doesn't happen.

I have a similar setup with an 800VA inverter(not sinewave)

During power cuts of short duration, the ups reverts to the inverter's supply and gets back to normal without any conflicts.

Otherwise, I just turn off the PC.

Wait for the experts. :p

OP U must be crazy using UPS with invertor. Connect it to the main "power" connection in your house, never with the invertor.

thanks toxic and rockfella

@rockfella , the inverter is wired for the lighting circuit for the the entire home , then comes the UPS , then comes the PC .So inverter is feeding the entire home lighting circuit only .:) .So everything is fine ,expect that goof up ... I will find out ..

Is your entire house's fridge/ac etc are also powered by the same invertor? It can't be.... my house is also powered by an invertor but i have connected my PC directly to a "power" switch in my room. It's the big wall sockets which are used to power ACs and fridge etc that i use to power the PC. Gives stable power and no interfearence with invertor whatsoever!
nfsnfs said:
thanks toxic and rockfella
@rockfella , the inverter is wired for the lighting circuit for the the entire home , then comes the UPS , then comes the PC .So inverter is feeding the entire home lighting circuit only .:) .So everything is fine ,expect that goof up ... I will find out ..

^^ no man , thats why I referred to lighting circuit . Lighting circuit is different , there is one more circuit for other heavy equipment items .2 different circuits in house .

Back