PC Peripherals APC UPS Model Number undecided - Final decision awaited...!!!

sunandoghosh

Disciple
APC UPS Model Number undecided - Final decision awaited...!!!

Thanks everyone for putting forward their opinion about UPS to my previous post.

I have read all the posts over and over again and finally have decided that I will purchase a UPS from APC.

Now again...few more questions though...????

A LITTLE BACKGROUND THOUGH:

I intend to use UPS for the following desktop:

P4 3 Ghz
3*512 MB RAM
CD DVD R/RW
HDD 160 GB three partitions
HDD 80 GB two partitions
windows xp operating system / windows advanced 2000 server
inkjet printer
d link router
compex switch
creative speaker
motherboard intel 865 GBF
Monitor 17 " LG flat

The application that I currently always use in SAP using Oracle database on windows server 2000 when using 160 GB HDD...

At other times normal surfing using windows xp professional with 80 GB HDD...

WHY I NEED UPS

I need Ups to ensure that when I am using SAP with oracle database...there is no unexpected power outage as it may corrupt SAP software...which is a headache to get installed again...

WHAT I WANT

I want a UPS which can support say 20 - 30 mins so that I can have sometime (normally it takes 10 - 15 mins) to stop server and client in SAP mode...and then exit and shut down the system normally...

I have given a rough configuration of my system so that some knowledgeable person can suggest me with his expertise which one suits my requirements best without burning a hole in my pocket...

IN A NUTSHELL:

In a nutshell, plz suggest which APC model UPS best fits my case balancing between my desire and cost based on above system configurations...?????????????????????

Your time, effort and patience is higly appreciated and will be the basis of my final decision.

warmest regards,

sunando

sunandoghosh at rediffmail dot com

p.s. In India is anyone using Wipro UPS; is it any good...????

disclaimer: you have to say me which model number of product from APC fits my needs best as I am completely non technical and do not understand what Voltage / surge / AV / watt etc etc actually means.......................!

Thanks again for ur help...it is more than appreciated............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way...plz advice keeping in mind...I am also planning to have an inverter...so i believe inverter can support the UPS longer...?????

I REPEAT PLZ GIVE ME EXACT MODEL NO FROM APC OR WIPRO WHICH I SHOULD BUY AS I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS.....PLZ....I AM JUST GOING TO SAY TO SHOPKEEPER THE
MODEL NO I WANT....?????????????????

hi eddy...thanks buddy for atleast replying...

plz take a look at following and revert back...any idea as to possible cost...???????

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=165&ISOCountryCode=IN#anchor1

again i dont really want to be at borderline as i want to make sure i have few extra cushion provided it does not land me up in huge cost...

thanks again

waiting for ur final comment dear...

regards

sunando

p.s. WHAT IS ACTUALLY va STANDING FOR...?????

VA stands for the power UPS can provide in Volt-Amperes.To get the equivalent power in Watts multiply power in VA with Power factor of the device (usually its between 0.6-0.8 ).

Also i don't think combining UPS with a inverter is a good idea.If you want a longer backup, then purchase a UPS with support for external batteries.Also if you purchase this kind of UPS, then you can go for a lower rating UPS like the 625VA.

Yep, Hitman has given a good explanation for VA :)

And as he mentioned using a UPS with an Inverter is not a good idea. I believe most Inverters tend to produce a squarish wave output instead of the ideal sinusoidal waveform produced by your usual AC supply. In general sensitive digital circuits do not function well on such output.

plz take a look at following and revert back...any idea as to possible cost...???????
http://www.apc.com/products/family/...Code=IN#anchor1
Yep, assuming you would be going on full load for those 15-20 mins while you close down SAP, the 1000VA UPS would be ideal for you while also providing a sufficient amount of cushioning time.
You could have a look at this link as well : http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm

Again power draw varies widely, so the 1000VA might be much more than what you require, but better safe than sorry. I'm not too sure about the pricing - the 650VA APC models average around 2-2.5K, so this might be in the order of around 5K i assume.

sunandoghosh said:
WHAT I WANT

I want a UPS which can support say 20 - 30 mins so that I can have sometime (normally it takes 10 - 15 mins) to stop server and client in SAP mode...and then exit and shut down the system normally...

I have given a rough configuration of my system so that some knowledgeable person can suggest me with his expertise which one suits my requirements best without burning a hole in my pocket...
I know this is now an old topic and you may have already bought a UPS but here is a screen capture of the APC software which gives the load and backup time. I thought this may interest someone here.

This is from a APC Back-UPS RS 800 and my setup consisits of...

ASUS Board with a P4 2.4C CPU
Antec TP480 PSU
3 x 120mm case fans
Zalman 7000cu HSF
1 GB ram
2 HDDs
2 Optical drives
Floppy drive
NVidia Geforce 4200Ti Display
Audigy 2 sound card
Altec 621 Speakers
USB Mouse and scanner
Cable Modem.

From the picture you can see that all this hardware is indicated as a 184W load on the UPS. Once I actually switched off mains power to check if the UPS would deliver the 24 minutes it indicated and it ran the load for 25 mins.

APCUPSreadings.jpg

magnet said:
http://www.apc.com/products/moreima...ck/D2AAB0DE-5056-9170-D3C81580D25693AF_pr.jpg
guys i m confused with this picture...now v c 6 outputs.....but the o/ps r off different form...my present ups is lik...a plug frm ups to main switch...then 3 other plugs to b added to ups to other devices....but how will i connect plugs to those seen above........pls guide me....

First - in my opinion this model of APC is the best one. :) I wanted to get it but they had not released it in the Indian market when I bought my APC UPS in Oct 2004.

Here is a picture of the cable you are supposed to use for the power connection on this unit - it is a sort of an extension cable - that is a male at one end and a female at the other. These cables are available at the comp stores at Lamington road Mumbai.

What I did was to buy a good quality power strip and replaced its cable with one of the required plugs and I plugged in all the equipement with regular 3 pin plugs into the power strip. EAZY :)

PowerCable.jpg

surge protection means it wont have battery backup...means if power goes, it'll turn off...but will be protected by current/voltage surges

actually all o/p have surge protection....this is something named strange

magnet said:
btw ill go 4 this

or the 1kva one.........

now wht i want to know is wht is surge protection..and wht shd i connect to it?????

why doesnt other o/p has surge protection.......???

All the sockets have Surge Protection - The last connector which is marked as Surge Only is a special socket for Printers only and this marking indicates that on this one socket there is no battery backup available - this socket is protected for Surges only like a spike burster - if the current is shut off from the wall socket then anything connected to this socket will switch off. This special socket has been included as some Printers namely Laser printers draw too much current and the UPS's circuitry cannot handle their load.

I have this very same UPS and it is quite OK but I think the other one you linked earlier the Smart UPS SUA750I is superior to the Back-UPS RS 800. If you can, get the 1Kva model of the Back-UPS RS - I wanted to buy the 1Kva but the shop keeper talked me out of it - I now wish I had not listened to him.

Back