my config include 1 quad core Q6600 at 3 Ghz

Biostar ip35 motherboard

4gb ram gskills 1066 mhz

3HDD

1ODD

8800gt

PSu 600watt Cooler Master

when ever i play GTA 4 game i start getting overload light on APC 650 ups

OK before you start bashing Cm power supply i have never faced issue with it before and my mother board has been Rmaed and its 4 month old

Do i need to change UPS? has any body else faced this issue before ?

It is quite apparent that at full load (game stress) the APC is not being able to hold up. Get a higher rated UPS. This had happened to me, but only when I moved to Xfire.

I had the same problem with similar configuration. Go for a higher UPS. It happens when you put the GPU on load i.e start some graphic intensive application.

Let's see.

Your load would be around 350 watts at full tilt, which is pretty much any game.

The UPS is able to supply 650*0.8, or about 520 watts.

Let's assume your '600 watt' PSU started life with an efficiency of 70%.

This means for a 350 watt load it would draw around 500 watts from the UPS. Which would be within the limits of pretty much everything.

Now, efficiency drops as supplies age. Let's say your PSU is now at 60% efficiency.

Which means for a 350 watt load, it now draws about 583 watts. Which is significantly more than the rating of a 650VA UPS.

OTOH, and 80% efficient PSU such as pretty much everything except the Xtreme-ly bad ones would draw only 437 watts, which would save energy, produce less heat and be well within the limits of your UPS.

Good Luck.

Run the cpu at stock speeds and see if the ups overloads.

There is nothing wrong with your PSU. Your Ups is not able to handle the load.

650 VA UPS - Max it can handle is 390W.

Back