App for "Directory/Folder Listing" (Tree Format)

dipen01

Skilled
Hi,

Recently my Seagate 7900.11 died, so all my 500 GB data is lost. The problem addition to that is that I don't remember all of my content.Normally i take screenshots of content and save it somewhere safe but if there are many subfolders, it turns messy.

So here is what i am looking for,

I need particular software which can save the details (listing) of my folders and subfolders and files in HTML (Tree Format) (HTML is pretty accessible and Text format is rather messy).

So additional features like separate color fonts and bold for folder and italics for files (You know what i mean, Just easy accessibility), would be nice.

Now i googled with various strings, but didn't stumble upon any decent piece of software.

So in future if and when my HDD dies (Oh, it surely will, SOB Seagate:mad: ), I will be atleast aware of the content.

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

Regards,

dipen most probably current seagate drives dying dont lose data.... they are just not readable...
So by some means.... (even by getting help from seagate CC itself) u can recover ur data. Havent u read recent articles on techreport and anantech about seagate drives?

And a software like DIR to excel would be good for ur requirement. I am too looking for same kinda application.

Harpy.eagle said:
dipen most probably current seagate drives dying dont lose data.... they are just not readable...
So by some means.... (even by getting help from seagate CC itself) u can recover ur data. Havent u read recent articles on techreport and anantech about seagate drives?

And a software like DIR to excel would be good for ur requirement. I am too looking for same kinda application.

His is apparently a different issue, not the current firmware one.

if you are comfortable with command prompt go to Start -> Accessories -> Command Prompt
Type this in the Command Prompt window :

Code:
dir D:\*.* /oen/s > D:\List.txt

Replace D: with any drive letter you desire. It will create a text file called List.txt in the root directory of the target drive. It took 40 seconds to store the entire contents of a 750 gb drive on my pc.

This is a bit crude but it ought to temporarily fulfil for your need, till you find a proper software. And since the directory tree is in text format, you can run text searches for quickly finding any file's location :)

even the usual free image viewers like xnview have a directory listing option. it will save as a text file along with size in kb or mb if required.

Back