Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

Got the 8gb/256gb M1 variant from Apple within a week, well under promised timeline.

So far, so good.
--------------------

Guys, recommendations for a hub for MBA ? Something which can expand USB capabilities and doesn't fry charging too.

Hub bro I guess someone had recommended original Apple multiport adapters only.

Got the 8gb/256gb M1 variant from Apple within a week, well under promised timeline.

So far, so good.
--------------------

Guys, recommendations for a hub for MBA ? Something which can expand USB capabilities and doesn't fry charging too.

For now apple original only. 3rd party ones with PD are risky from what I read. I too have a 3rd party one but I don't and won't use its PD port. I just use the regular USB etc only.

Hub bro I guess someone had recommended original Apple multiport adapters only.

For now apple original only. 3rd party ones with PD are risky from what I read. I too have a 3rd party one but I don't and won't use its PD port. I just use the regular USB etc only.

Thanks guys. I am not looking for HDMI out, primarily extending the USB capabilities. An ethernet port will be an added bonus.

The Apple one is severely limited - just 1 USB, 1 HDMI and 1 charging.

I can look at foregoing charging if I can get decent IO ports.

Thanks guys. I am not looking for HDMI out, primarily extending the USB capabilities. An ethernet port will be an added bonus.

The Apple one is severely limited - just 1 USB, 1 HDMI and 1 charging.

I can look at foregoing charging if I can get decent IO ports.
If PD/ external monitor is not a requirement then pick any of the N number of options available on amazon.
Just don't use the PD port or preferably get one that does not have PD at all.

If PD is a requirement then either a proper TB dock (not USB 3) or the Apple A2119 at a minimum.
PD via non certified USB3 docks appears to be a little iffy that can mess up the power control chips on some laptops like Asus G14/ Mac M1

If PD/ external monitor is not a requirement then pick any of the N number of options available on amazon.
Just don't use the PD port or preferably get one that does not have PD at all.

If PD is a requirement then either a proper TB dock (not USB 3) or the Apple A2119 at a minimum.
PD via non certified USB3 docks appears to be a little iffy that can mess up the power control chips on some laptops like Asus G14/ Mac M1
Thanks.

If I may, try to pick up TP-link Gigabit ethernet mini data hub. It comes with 3 USB 3.0 ports and Gigabit ethernet . Decently built with bit of unwieldy stubby cable but it won't break with minor tugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone thinking of trying a cooling pad mod on their M1 Air, my machine is going upto 82°C. I noticed this today, when I touch the empty space above keyboard it was hot to touch. Any other trick apart from buying cooling pad that can decrease this temperature. I haven't experienced any throttling so far though. One thing to note is that I never completely shut down my machine for months sometime, I just close the lid and resume it the next day. I don't think this can be the reason but maybe someone else is also experiencing the same.

Anyone thinking of trying a cooling pad mod on their M1 Air, my machine is going upto 82°C. I noticed this today, when I touch the empty space above keyboard it was hot to touch. Any other trick apart from buying cooling pad that can decrease this temperature. I haven't experienced any throttling so far though. One thing to note is that I never completely shut down my machine for months sometime, I just close the lid and resume it the next day. I don't think this can be the reason but maybe someone else is also experiencing the same.

How to check ?

Also, what are some must haves for Mac OS ? Both me and wifey are coming from Windows, and I did read some of the top 10/20 lists, but I trust peeps out here.

There are no vents to cool.. it is what it is..82 seems high for a 30W laptop.

How to check ?

Also, what are some must haves for Mac OS ? Both me and wifey are coming from Windows, and I did read some of the top 10/20 lists, but I trust peeps out here.
I use iStat Menus which imo is a great tool to monitor each and every aspect of any Mac machine.
There are no vents to cool.. it is what it is..82 seems high for a 30W laptop.
Yes, that why I am thinking of trying a cool pad mod. It can take the performance of Air to Pro levels going by what benchmarks are indicating.

not needed unless you are using i t for something with sustained peak loads.

intel (but windows and mac) laptops routinely hit 95-100 in normal usage with no issues.

having said that, mine hovers between 25-35C and max 45 when in heavy productivity use with external 4k extended display.
the only time i have seen it go over 55 is when a rogue threat from outlook was munching cpu cycles.
check activity monitor for process causing the spike first.

ps: theres a free utility called macs fan control that can be used for temperature reporting. the beta available on github has been updated for arm

Last edited:
reboot shouldn’t be required. just check activity monitor and restart the offending process.
Leaving it in standby won’t cause this to happen

I use iStat Menus which imo is a great tool to monitor each and every aspect of any Mac machine.

Yes, that why I am thinking of trying a cool pad mod. It can take the performance of Air to Pro levels going by what benchmarks are indicating.

I used Sensei, and it is around 27-30.

Also, the battery - just awesome.

Laptop was charged at 5 PM yesterday. Used it actively for around 3 hours (been 29 hours since charge)- primarily installing and playing with new software and browsing tons of stuff via Safari. Also a bit of Keynote use. Only 27% used ! WTF.

dcdysqu.jpg

Hope you guys ( specially coming from Windows) are not turning off the computers after the day's work. Just close the lid and done. The battery drain is practically nothing.
I am so used to this practice that I'm doing the same with windows laptop. Windows 10 has improved considerably in these small but useful things, but Macs are still far better.
I miss the spotlight search so much in Windows!!

Laptop was charged at 5 PM yesterday. Used it actively for around 3 hours (been 29 hours since charge)- primarily installing and playing with new software and browsing tons of stuff via Safari. Also a bit of Keynote use. Only 27% used ! WTF.

dcdysqu.jpg
Yes battery life was already amazing on previous gen Macs but M1 has taken it to whole new level.

Enjoy the experience.

dcdysqu.jpg
I know , right!

The battery life on paper may just be 1.5X that of Intel laptops but in reality, its an order of magnitude more.
Once the initial setup/installs and indexing are done, it gets even better

Facing a weird issue.

Was doing photo editing via Pixelmator, and all the photos keep on showing blocks and artefacts while edits. Basically unusable.
Pixelmator is M1 enhanced AFAIK, so it's pretty weird.

Facing a weird issue.

Was doing photo editing via Pixelmator, and all the photos keep on showing blocks and artefacts while edits. Basically unusable.
Pixelmator is M1 enhanced AFAIK, so it's pretty weird.
i have pixelmator pro that i use for casual editing. haven’t faced this issue so far so kinda weird.
is this happening with all photos or a few?

on a side note, the latest update (11.2.2) acknowledges and supposedly fixes the PD charging/ bricking issue with third party hubs.

Back