Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

What I don't understand is why are people like you and them on tech forums? You should be in fancy parties boasting about apple as if they are your company... Clearly you aren't bothered about technology...
You just want to talk about how expensive their laptops are... And how gullible the apple fanboys are... None of these belong to a tech forum

Also by your logic if apple laptops are so great and windows laptops are garbage.. How come market share of MacBook is so abysmal? Surely by your logic people spending their money to buy windows laptops in overwhelming majority means windows laptops are much better
Sure Apple is expensive but that doesn't mean you have to hate it so much, boasting about Apple? .. aren't bothered about technology?

Putting your bias aside, this is the first time we are seeing desktop class performance in a laptop and not to forget the amazing battery life, free yearly upgrades to mac os and what not.. remember with Apple you are not only buying the hardware but also software combined.

That's why it's called an ecosystem.

Sure Apple is expensive but that doesn't mean you have to hate it so much, boasting about Apple? .. aren't bothered about technology?

Putting your bias aside, this is the first time we are seeing desktop class performance in a laptop and not to forget the amazing battery life, free yearly upgrades to mac os and what not.. remember with Apple you are not only buying the hardware but also software combined.

That's why it's called an ecosystem.

The benchmarks show that compared to tiger lake chip a year old lift in performance on apples chosen softwares is 15 - 25%. Not like a new invention by any stretch as some people are trying to hype. Let us wait for other launches before touting it a year breaking development, forget a generational launch

Plus very few apps are going to be optimized any time soon. On top of that I can throw in 32 gigs of super fast ram on a windows laptop for what apple will charge for 8gb additional. Don't tell me 8gb ram will perform the same as 32 gigs in memory tests.

Not to mention lack of millions of softwares, support, community and games that are windows only. Those are definitely part of the ecosystem which one misses out on mac os.

I don't even know what a non designer typical user will do with all the power when they can't even run the most popular games that are natively available only on windows. Now if there is a reliable windows release for the m1 chip, then I guess that hardware becomes useful for the world and not a niche

Last edited:
The benchmarks show that compared to tiger lake chip a year old lift in performance on apples chosen softwares is 15 - 25%. Not like a new invention by any stretch as some people are trying to hype. Let us wait for other launches before touting it a year breaking development, forget a generational launch

Plus very few apps are going to be optimized any time soon. On top of that I can throw in 32 gigs of super fast ram on a windows laptop for what apple will charge for 8gb additional. Don't tell me 8gb ram will perform the same as 32 gigs in memory tests.

Not to mention lack of millions of softwares, support, community and games that are windows only. Those are definitely part of the ecosystem which one misses out on mac os.

I don't even know what a non designer typical user will do with all the power when they can't even run the most popular games that are natively available only on windows. Now if there is a reliable windows release for the m1 chip, then I guess that hardware becomes useful for the world and not a niche
iPhone 12 max hardly have 4gb Ram but can beat 12gb Android easily. Everything is not about specification, but about integration and fluidity. Same reason why Linux runs better even on an older but windows cough cough !!

Nevertheless, seems you've a strong hatredness towards Apple, but if it makes you happy, why not :)

I only wish they make something like surface pro, best of both worlds..I guess, it may be in pipeline, as iOS and iPad apps works on Mac.

iPhone 12 max hardly have 4gb Ram but can beat 12gb Android easily. Everything is not about specification, but about integration and fluidity. Same reason why Linux runs better even on an older but windows cough cough !!

Nevertheless, seems you've a strong hatredness towards Apple, but if it makes you happy, why not :)

I only wish they make something like surface pro, best of both worlds..I guess, it may be in pipeline, as iOS and iPad apps works on Mac.
Can you share the benchmarks where iphone 12 4gb ram has outperformed 12gb ram on 865+ device... And that too easily!

Now if there is a reliable windows release for the m1 chip, then I guess that hardware becomes useful for the world and not a niche
Snapdragon 8cx was first released in late 2018. had winrt with directx support. I don’t see many so called “windows laptops” in the market. because windows is a crappy os. so dont say that if “windows release for m1” it would be great. they had that chance since 2018.

on the other note i would be very excited if apple releases the linux kernel bsp. apple m1 running linux and steam would be the death of windows gaming.

Snapdragon 8cx was first released in late 2018. had winrt with directx support. I don’t see many so called “windows laptops” in the market. because windows is a crappy os. so dont say that if “windows release for m1” it would be great. they had that chance since 2018.

on the other note i would be very excited if apple releases the linux kernel bsp. apple m1 running linux and steam would be the death of windows gaming.
Yeah right dream on about the death of pc gaming. Weren't you the one who was delusional earlier that if apple released some m1 tv then apple will eliminate the market for ps5 and Xbox as well?[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

No doubt that Dell is quite a fast, but again is 25% slower along with shorter battery life and poorer screen and is costlier machine overall (that i7 version starts at $1350 onwards against a $999 baseline MacBook Air). Simply no comparison at all unless you want a slower and expensive machine.

Then comes things like touchpad gestures, unix vs windows, ability to sync multiple devices etc etc..

No doubt that Dell is quite a fast, but again is 25% slower along with shorter battery life and poorer screen and is costlier machine overall (that i7 version starts at $1350 onwards against a $999 baseline MacBook Air). Simply no comparison at all unless you want a slower and expensive machine.

Then comes things like touchpad gestures, unix vs windows, ability to sync multiple devices etc etc..
Along with countless disadvantages of being stuck with mac os which I mentioned above

As I said it is only going to be worth using when it can be freed from shackles of apple software

Don't know if you have actually seem the screen on a dell xps. It is pure fabrication to day the screen is not better on the dell. I guess you have just blindly bought into apple marketing like I have bought into hating them

Last edited:
Yeah right dream on about the death of pc gaming. Weren't you the one who was delusional earlier that if apple released some m1 tv then apple will eliminate the market for ps5 and Xbox as well?[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
precisely. monopolies and duopolies are bad.

lulz. the reason why I prefer a macbook is because it lasts a LOT longer than usual garbage windows laptops. though they seem to be catching up now.

..... and then Apple drops the M1. xD

dear apple hater, suggest me one good windows laptop under 1 lakh that doesn't SUCK. something which is light and thin, has great battery, great speakers, great performance (for the average casual user), doesn't have much bugs in the software, AMAZING integration with iPhone/iPad/Airpods, GREAT display and great build quality. there maybe a few laptops which tick these marks barely, but the new macbooks just hits it out of the park AND imo is HIGH VALUE for MONEY at 84K. Only thing that bugs me is the display bezels. looks so 2017.
Kindly check out the reviews these M1 laptops are getting :)

and yeah the resale value of macbooks, you are aware of that right?

fyi, I had a macbook pro 2015 and sold it for nearly 60% of the purchase price after 5 freaking YEARS. if that was a windows laptop, i don't even want to think how much I'd have gotten. xD

I don't worship Apple as a company, i just love some of their recent products.

Didn't you say MacBooks sell at 60% value after 5 years? Might be a good deed if you want to inform op from above thread to jack up the price to 60k.
He is trying to sell it for 24k

Along with countless disadvantages of being stuck with mac os which I mentioned above

As I said it is only going to be worth using when it can be freed from shackles of apple software

Don't know if you have actually seem the screen on a dell xps. It is pure fabrication to day the screen is not better on the dell. I guess you have just blindly bought into apple marketing like I have bought into hating them
Well I have used Windows for fair share of my life, aside from games there is no disadvantage as such. Only con might be that you are not ready to pay for software which might be available for free as a Windows counterpart. But then free is not always better so that's that.

Apple software is not a disadvantage but its the main reason people are paying so much for their hardware and are sticking with Apple despite its usual money grabbing practices. But again I see no alternate to it so they are dictating the prices as usual.

That Dell is using a 1980 x 1200 screen (169 pixels per inch) whereas baseline Air uses 2560 x1600 (227 pixels per inch). Dell also provides 3840 x 2400 for $300 according to that article but that also means poorer battery life. Certainly not marketing or fabrication, in fact MacBook screens are one of the major reason why almost all creative professionals are not using any Windows laptop.

Didn't you say MacBooks sell at 60% value after 5 years? Might be a good deed if you want to inform op from above thread to jack up the price to 60k.
He is trying to sell it for 24k
man you are the biggest troll i've encountered in the recent times. you sound like those instagram meme pages and comments section. i sincerely and humbly request you to read and think with an open mind without spewing hate every here and there.

like @Nalin said with apple we are buying for the software experience combined. believe me or not, i was looking for a good replacement for my mbpr and I actually looked at some good windows laptops. but in the end i dropped the plan because i didn't want to deal with windows again. hackintosh on amd is not quite an ideal setup too. also on those laptops they didn't have any usp except having bezelless display (and gaming performance of course, which i'm not interested in). and they weren't any much cheaper compared to macbooks.

i'm a guy who appreciates little things and apple does a great job finishing and polishing most of their software experience part and imo currently no one does it better. need not say about the pretty amazing display, speakers and touchpad. their integration with other apple products is nothing less than remarkable. I can't imagine going back to android/windows.

4k windows laptops are incredibly expensive and they suck battery life out of the machine. i'm very happy with the retina resolution and imo it's the sweet spot w.r.t efficiency and ppi.

if the air came with a new less-bezel design (like the 16 pro) and mini led (which would improve contrast a little bit) that would be my ideal device (near perfect) and i'd gladly keep it for a minimum of 5 years without having any itch to upgrade, given the performance of the m1 chip.

Suddenly your 'delusion' on resale value of apple goes poof, so you start shifting topics.

I should have guessed that it is this thread where I am surrounded by all Apple blind fans I would be called a troll for disagreeing and not participating in the delusion.

Anyways, you guys keep saying software, software. That is the single biggest disadvantage of both iphones and macbooks. If they were available on Linux, android or windows (in that order) they might actually be decent use worthy hardware.

Because of the restrictions and the state of these softwares, I don't think majority wants to buy them even though according to you guys it is 'cheaper vfm'.

Again before you keep repeating the same thing blindly, I have used mac os on my wife's office laptop and ios on iPhone, both were miles behind in terms of what a power user can achieve in terms of anything they want. You know what, now she has actually traded in for a dell laptop with the superior screen and to android.
Imo, you guys are the trolls who just want an echo chamber and not a discussion.

If they were available on Linux, android or windows (in that order) they might actually be decent use worthy hardware.
There is already few, Acer Spin 7 and Lenovo flex 5g, running on snapdragon 8cx. good luck with win rt or recompiling linux kernel if they ever released bsp.

I have used mac os on my wife's office laptop and ios on iPhone, both were miles behind in terms of what a power user can achieve in terms of anything they want.
I have used every version of windows all the way from IBM DOS3.2 through win 10. my gaming rig runs win10 and my office laptop runs ubuntu 20.10.
buying windows and then not being able to edit a document because you also need MS office is such a rip off (ever tried printing a document with tables and formatting?). oh yeah, good luck with color correcting your photos in MSpaint. or editing a small video clip. remember windows movie maker? As I said earlier, I don't have time for dicking around with windows. don't even get me started on linux, its only very recently the user experience started getting better.
If you think that user experience on windows or android is better than apple, you need to re-evaluate your life choices.

There is already few, Acer Spin 7 and Lenovo flex 5g, running on snapdragon 8cx. good luck with win rt or recompiling linux kernel if they ever released bsp.

I have used every version of windows all the way from IBM DOS3.2 through win 10. my gaming rig runs win10 and my office laptop runs ubuntu 20.10.
buying windows and then not being able to edit a document because you also need MS office is such a rip off (ever tried printing a document with tables and formatting?). oh yeah, good luck with color correcting your photos in MSpaint. or editing a small video clip. remember windows movie maker? As I said earlier, I don't have time for dicking around with windows. don't even get me started on linux, its only very recently the user experience started getting better.
If you think that user experience on windows or android is better than apple, you need to re-evaluate your life choices.

I don't have any use of correcting clips or photos as I am not a person who likes to take many pics. Whenever i need to do it I just do it online as it has been easily able to suffice for my use. Don't have experience with photoshop etc so can't comment on that.

Don't know what printing problems you are taking about. In my professional life of 15 years thus far, I have printed word and ppt documents fairly regularly. Pdf is the de facto format I use to print anything. Ms office had inbuilt conversion to pdf as well. I always had an ms office license so never looked at anything else to create or read documents in my device. Online i have started using Google docs and sheets nowadays for personal uses.

What I do use my windows desktop extensively for is kodi, 4k streaming, 4k gaming, full 4k local blu ray playback on my projector, torrent box, trying out new linux releases on dual boots, connecting to n number of devices in my home, my smart fridge connectivity. Any problems were faced while I was trying to sell of the iPhone and to backup data from it. Man it is such a chore to do anything related to apple device. Proper shitty proprietary iTunes that is so pathetically designed.

Again you are trying to force your narrative and opinions in my life while trying to call my life choices "wrong". I have never ever found the keyboard in ios even usable forget better. Never have I reached out to my wife's iphone or MacBook when I have my mobile or desktop available, fretting what new restriction I'll have to work around if i use it this time

If you want to live your life in a walled garden bowing everyday to the owner and praying to use your devices as you like then you don't need to evaluate your life choices as you have clearly made the right choice. No matter how many false evaluate your life claims you make i am never Choosing to be a slave to restrictions on a machine which i buy with my money.

Suddenly your 'delusion' on resale value of apple goes poof, so you start shifting topics.

I should have guessed that it is this thread where I am surrounded by all Apple blind fans I would be called a troll for disagreeing and not participating in the delusion.
man can you please stop being a freaking obvious troll?
the fact that he's getting 20k + for a 7 year old laptop with 4gb ram in itself speaks about the resale value of macbooks.
take a 7 year old windows laptop with 4gb ram and you'll have to give it in as SCRAP or sell it for 2-3k.

as for why i got a good deal on my laptop, i've already said it has a retina display and it is a VALUABLE feature for many people, including the one who bought my laptop. please read my posts above a few more times if you still don't understand anything. also an added point is 2015 macbook pros are high in resale all over the world for being reliable machines (pre 2016 models which had quite a few issues).
ios on iPhone, both were miles behind in terms of what a power user
very much agree here. macos and particularly ios are not for people who just want to tinker with their devices and who loves spending time doing these stuff. they are aimed at people who wants something that works consistently without giving much problems and headaches.

oh yeah, good luck with color correcting your photos in MSpaint. or editing a small video clip. remember windows movie maker? As I said earlier, I don't have time for dicking around with windows.
exactly lol.
What I do use my windows desktop extensively for is kodi, 4k streaming, 4k gaming, full 4k local blu ray playback on my projector, torrent box, trying out new linux releases on dual boots, connecting to n number of devices in my home, my smart fridge connectivity. Any problems were faced while I was trying to sell of the iPhone and to backup data from it. Man it is such a chore to do anything related to apple device. Proper shitty proprietary iTunes that is so pathetically designed.
i get the type of user you are. I was once the same when I was 16 and younger. no offense for being a tinkerer, everyone has different likes and hobbies. but that doesn't compensate for the fact that you think 'majority' of users are like you. you are in the minority. the new apple chips are revolutionary for the average user. just accept and move on. maybe your favorite companies will start making similar chips soon.
EDIT: i have no hate against windows. there are several fine notebooks for lower prices which gets the job done just fine. but when it comes to higher end models and their prices, the experience just doesn't cut it.

I use an Intel NUC attached to a tv as my makeshift desktop / streaming solution at home.

every week something in the software breaks. Very tempted to rip it out and just throw in a Mac mini there. I very much agree with you that these new chips are generational. If you track the silicon world at all you’ll know that competition is at least 2-3 years behind . I believe for now at least, the new Mac products offer the highest performance / dollar. Indian pricing also seems to have benefited. The fact that an ARM chip with reduced instruction sets and low power envelope is out benching x86 chips under emulation is simply amazing. I haven’t seen a larger technological leap in the CPU world in as far as I can remember.

also certain people just don’t know how to have a discussion so would recommend ignoring them.

Last edited:
I use an Intel NUC attached to a tv as my makeshift desktop / streaming solution at home.

every week something in the software breaks. Very tempted to rip it out and just throw in a Mac mini there.

also certain people just don’t know how to have a discussion so would recommend ignoring them.
Haha i can understand your level of tech understanding if you thought buying an Intel nuc is the way to go to build a streaming solution. In the amount you can buy a mac mini I can configure atleast a 2x-3x more capable htpc

Your comments in 3rd person are just childish so i can safely ignore them till you mature

Back