Apple software logs out of India

Josh

Skilled
The company that redefined the way we listen to music has decided to call it quits in India. Apple, known for its popular iPods, is pulling out its software development and support operations in India.

The company had commenced operations in April and hired about 30 people for its subsidiary, Apple Services India Pvt Ltd.

At a meeting on May 29, Apple announced its decision to lay off all its employees. Apple officials told them that "the company is revaluating its operations and has thought of pulling back its Indian operations".

Apple is giving these employees a severance package of two months salary. It will settle all claims on June 9. When contacted, Steve Dowling, an Apple spokesperson, said, "We have re-evaluated our plans and have decided to put our planned support centre growth in other countries."

It is more than that... India Software Engineers salaries are growing at speed of 15% to 20% per year... Soon they will reach threshold after which it will no longer be profitable...

hmm.. i wonder what they would be doing with a 30 member task force.... sell iPods? heck! macs are an attenuated piece of electronic device here. We dont need them anyway..

all hail apple !

Cheers,

Tariq

I think Mac wasn't able to reach the customers here. I know 2-3 very high-end DTP people here in Pune & all the time they're running on Macs. The machines are rock-stable & they're able to work upto 12-14 hrs. without breaking a sweat. Once in a blue moon they do get down & that's the sore part. Not enough support as not enough mind-share.

Back