Application to Monitor HDD Access

Hi
Like the Taskmanager which shows the applications using the CPU,is there something which shows which application is using the HDD?

In my case all the time the HDD is busy,but can't see which one is the culprit.

Thanks.

I am not sure if that's even possible.

I think the most you can get is the temp, speed, spin up time and other stuff like that. But I doubt if there is any program that will tell what program is accessing the HDD.

first of all the question u framed is confusing to me...:S

either ways there r many utilities and softwares to monitor ur HD usage.............

To monitor ur HD's spin count, temperature and other HD parameters u can use a software called HD tune...u can google this to find it........

To monitor your whole System..u can use a software called Super Utilities which gives a detailed view of ur whole system...u can find this at Superlogix: Hide Folder, Remove Spyware, Clean Registry, Clean Disk, Organize StartUp, ExeLock, Protect Folder, Clean Tracks, Driver Backup, Protect IE, Manage Window, Shred File, Undelete File!

i used to use samurize. it had a graph for disk read/write etc. that was until someone told me that the monitoring itself slowed down the HDD :p

KingFisher said:
I am not sure if that's even possible.

I think the most you can get is the temp, speed, spin up time and other stuff like that. But I doubt if there is any program that will tell what program is accessing the HDD.
Yes that's the SMART data.Thanks

Balkazzaar said:
first of all the question u framed is confusing to me...:S

either ways there r many utilities and softwares to monitor ur HD usage.............

To monitor ur HD's spin count, temperature and other HD parameters u can use a software called HD tune...u can google this to find it........
To monitor your whole System..u can use a software called Super Utilities which gives a detailed view of ur whole system...u can find this at Superlogix: Hide Folder, Remove Spyware, Clean Registry, Clean Disk, Organize StartUp, ExeLock, Protect Folder, Clean Tracks, Driver Backup, Protect IE, Manage Window, Shred File, Undelete File!
Thanks for tht too,I think i really did frame it wrong.
samueldotj said:
Try - SysInternal's FileMon - Filter only harddisk access.
I will try tht one.
saumilsingh said:
Make sure you didn't connect the HDD LED cable to the power LED point :p
This is an old laptop from company and HDD is slowing the whole laptop.

greenhorn said:
i used to use samurize. it had a graph for disk read/write etc. that was until someone told me that the monitoring itself slowed down the HDD :p

I think tht is also true.

What I was looking for is some thing like which software is causing the HDD to be busy?Like bittorrent,AV or 3-D application.So if tht's known,it can be stopped.I hope its clear now:)

Windows Vista has this builtin , it shows total i/o mbytes used by processes . Task manager --> performance-->resource monitor . This is one really useful utility added in vista .

Hi
Thanks for tht.Should change to Vista some time later.:D
rapt0r said:
Windows Vista has this builtin , it shows total i/o mbytes used by processes . Task manager --> performance-->resource monitor . This is one really useful utility added in vista .

RAMBO29 said:
What I was looking for is some thing like which software is causing the HDD to be busy?Like bittorrent,AV or 3-D application.So if tht's known,it can be stopped.I hope its clear now:)

XP task manager, Processes tab , view-> select columns, tick IO Reads and IO writes. these two columns should now appear in your task manager next to the list of processes. if you see the Reads/ writes increasing steadily, that should be your culprit :)

Back