Applying for BCA, your views?

Avtar

Adept
All right, so its college time for me. And I have an inclination to go into BCA, but some people disagree and tell me that the field is dead.

So what are your opinions? I'm keen on BCA, but some people are telling me not to get into it.

it depends on u what career u wanna pursue, if u wanna be a S/W Engineer. and be an employee of TCS or Infosys or Wipro etc then go for a combined BCA + MCA 5 years program which many good universities and institutes offer. or u can do BTech in Comp Engg (4 years) then go for certification programs like CCNA or MCSE coz there will always be a demand for a networking or a systems professional. the peeps who told u that BCA is dead don't know the facts and the fact is that NASSCOM predicts that there will be a huge demand for IT professionals for the next half a decade atleast. so there u go, the IT bubble isn't gonna burst yet. and last but not the least, listen to all advices but follow ur heart and ur dream.

wishing u success in all ur future endeavours.

cha.

As an engineer you always will have a higher chance of landing a good job. Also none of my frnds in the software line would want to code for more then 2 yrs as it is, finnally all do MBA...

Well the best would be B. Tech in Comp Sc. or IT, though BCA aint that bad, you'll almost 100% need an MBA along with it to land a decent job (If the trend continues like this that is...)

guys didnt wanted to hack the topic...but i have completed my enggr........

i was thinking to do certification either in securities or n/w........

is that preferable........????and if so wht certifications besides ccna and mcse u ppl suggest depending on demand

magnet said:
guys didnt wanted to hack the topic...but i have completed my enggr........

i was thinking to do certification either in securities or n/w........

is that preferable........????and if so wht certifications besides ccna and mcse u ppl suggest depending on demand
if you want basic networking knowledge and basic router configurations go for ccna. (no idea about mcse)

For securities you can go for ccsp, If you want to do anything from cisco you will need to do ccna first.

Avtar if you are from mumbai you can also try for Bsc It, much better than bca an bsc comp science.

me doin my BCA V semester :)
Many have told me BCA sucks & many have agreed with me that the cert of BCA+MCA stands ahead of BE certs.......its' all upto you.How u do the job .
oh & btw,,,i'm doin cisco certs along...just completed CCNA,will begin CCNP in a few months.:)
as disclaimer ,i am not telling that BCA has BETTER scope...hell almost all the computer courses are similar in India..win95 age:p...even BCA,BSC & BE have similar portions..same stuff...& BCA also had accounts & stats & probability (all which i hated)
the batch i joined had occupied ~65 seats,next batch had ~90 seats..& current newbies need 2 whole rooms to accomodate...bca guys are raising in B'lore..
btw where are u frm?

Av,
Sorry for ignoring this thread for so long:p

Hmm, lets see, applying for BCA..
Better option is an integrated course of BCA+MCA from a reputed college. Please note that a REPUTED COLLEGE is a MUST.

Also, BITS Pilani is a great institute and has great placements also.

I repeat again. Since this is going to impact your future studies and job prospects a lot, a GOOD AND REPUTED INSTITUTE is a MUST.

Back