Linux ArchLinux-All sites point to some crappy site

Hey,
I recently installed Archlinux on my laptop, I connected to the net and browsed around for a while yesterday. But since yesterday night most(nearly all) of the URLs just resolve to some directnicparking.com(which doesn't load btw, I even tried a traceroute and it keeps going to a lot of servers all around the globe).. I tried clearing browser cache, reinstalled browser, what not... nothing worked so I decided to reinstall Arch, so I formatted and reinstalled today... and guess what, the problem still persists :( long hours wasted in reinstalling.. I am might pissed now, I was really looking forward to using Arch... Someone please help me out
PS: It's not an ISP problem as my desktop works just fine!!

os 192.168.1.1 (Router) :p

after talking to ujjwal I added two more in the resolv.conf 202.68.222.222 and 202.68.220.220

in the router it is 218.248.255.146

Do you have a network ?

Are you have the browser configured through a proxy setup?check for sure that things are configured properly(in browser as well).

--

If the problem is only with firefox browser:

This can be a problem with browser(firefox).check for any un-wanted addons like "CoolWebSearch" or "ad.yieldmanager...." installed ?if yes ,remove it.that will solve the problem.

also ,browse through "about:config" to see any wrong leadings(site addresses) there.remove `em-except for may be mozilla.

EDIT:

Did you have "wine"(window$ emulator?) installed?

if yes ,try in a terminal

mv ~/.wine save.wine

then try.

also ,if the problem is not solved ,check for a router problem(rare).

also ,post the output of "iptables -L" (you need sudo or su rights).

Ho0ligaN said:
Didn't solve the problem

Did you remove the older DNS entry then add the new OpenDNS ones, and remember to reboot (power off completely then power back on) the PC and also the modem?

I seemed to have found the problem, there is a "browser.js" file in /root/.opera directory which has

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html"; charset=ISO-8859-1">

<META http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url=http://www.directnicparking.com/">

</HEAD>

<BODY>

</BODY>

</HTML>

I deleted it, it came back, I tried changing the permissions -rx no use.. what do I do?

Dont have wine installed and iptables isn't running

Don't use root for browsing the net under linux, that takes away one of the biggest security measures it has.

Try disabling browser javascript in Opera.. the problem doesn't come in other browsers right? Are you using any plugins etc for it?

LOL, some googling seems to indicate this is a XSS hijack :) After deleting the browser.js, did you revisit some questionable site?

after deleting I tried accessing facebook etc thats all... any solutions?

EDIT: I created a new user account and the problem is still not going away, what do I do? format and reinstall again and try? this is driving me crazy lol :(

ok I am officially pissed off now!!! I formatted the whole hard disk(including windows) and reinstalled windows/arch back... I didn't use root to browse, the problem came back!

So I thought maybe my modem/router is infected and tried with another one, and its not going away, Is there any other place I need to format/purge on the laptop? Model is Acer 4530, so you guys have a look if there is anything I am overlooking!!

ps: I can't reinstall one more time :( not anymore, not again!!!

EDIT: I am running slax on USB, everything seems to be working fantastically, I guess there's something wrong with the arch install, as I had to connect to the net to install x server, xfce etc before I could actually start using anything... I guess I will move away from arch :( (alas it lasted but a couple of days!!) btw any recommendations other than arch/slackware??

Did you say you were installing Opera (/user/.opera) folder? Just avoid reinstalling the browser and get from an official/clean source?

So uninstall Opera, then delete the /home/username/.opera folder before reinstalling a clean copy...

Back