Archlinux FTW!

viridian

Disciple
Decided to finally give Archlinux a try on my old laptop. Safe to say I was amazed by how intuitive and easy it was to setup. I'm currently running a lean setup with Awesome3 as my default DE, but I also have KDE 4 installed for kicks. rc.conf is probably the easiest way to change system settings. Also, the Arch wiki is very helpful and comprehensive. For those of you on Ubuntu, Mandriva I would highly recommend that you give Arch a try. You will need a decent broadband connection though (I started off with the USB install image).

One minor annoyance (KDE 4) is the notification widget/applet/schmapplet, which is freaking huge and can cause you to lose bowel control if a chat contact with a particularly scary picture comes online. Anyone know if there is a way to resize it?

Also loving the idea of Nepomuk (semantic desktop and other new age things) & Akonadi (central repo of all your contacts, email etc), although from what I could tell Kmail2 is not integrated with Akonadi as of now (for email atleast, it works for calendars and contacts).

Any tips from arch users out there?

Been there. Done that.

Now I'm running debian squeeze base install and then installing/compiling what I want to get the same Arch-like experience with the massive backing of debian/apt/community support/updates/maintenance etc...

But sure, Arch is cool, I'm not putting it down... :)

viridian said:
Any tips from arch users out there?

For tips and stuff, post/check the Linux open source section.. Gaurish is the main Arch user here I guess...

For example, you can install yaourt and aria2c and stuff like reflector and all those fancy shite to get community packages and crazy fast downloads/updates and what not...

Back