Video Are passive 3D glasses universal?

Sarath_

Adept
I was curious during my last movie visit as to whether the glasses that come with TV sets (obviously passive ones) would work in the movie theatre too?

I am aloof with the latest developments in 3D technology. Hence looking for someone actively following it for comments.

I actually want to get my own glasses. Can't bear getting those slimy glasses again and wiping my aee off trying to clean them.

This has been bugging me for quite some time.

Thanks
<

---

Googling suggests I need ReadD glasses but still not sure.

Yes, your glasses work at the cinema as long as they use a passive system too(inox). Some theatres use active 3D system where your glasses would obviously not work.

Yes, your glasses work at the cinema as long as they use a passive system too(inox). Some theatres use active 3D system where your glasses would obviously not work.

I don't think so. TV's projection system is completely different than movie theatre's.

I read that theatres use RealD 3D tech, but just not sure if it is so in India. If that is the case, then the glasses which come with TVs that use FPR+ RealD 3D tech (like LG and old Samsung TVs) can be used for theatre viewing also. In fact it is given in it's spec list. See link for LG glasses above.

Also went to RealD 3D's twitter website and saw that "wrath of the titans" " Avengers" etc are in RealD 3D. The problem is that it doesn't tell if the movies are only in RealD or use other tech too. Also the complete mystery of our own Indian projection system and the tech they use (RealD or not) is not helping either.

One thing that is certain for sure is that, Indian screens and the LG TV both use passive linear or circular polarised glasses.

The only credible glasses I found are the eyeball-ripping-pocket-busting Oakley 3D polarised glasses that sell for $150 which don't come with the label rip-off. The cheapest ones I found are in the local theatre for 50 bucks but they hurt the nose bridge; hurt here is an understatement.

Back