Storage Solutions Are there any reliable external HDD Casings on a budget?

soggy316

Adept
I'm looking to get a 2TB HDD (3.5") for backing up my stuff. I'd like to have an external casing + internal HDD config. Looking at the amazon and ebay results, there seem to be a bunch of casings at 1500-2000 level and the n it jumps to 5k and then to 10k.

Are the 1500 casings any good? The disk will be used once a month (max 2 times a month). I will be able to run a fan onto the casing for cooling if necessary.

Are cheap casings any good?
I guess they are like a lottery, could last forever could break your stuff :/ .
When I decide to get something for cheap I just go to dx.com and order from there.
Also do make sure how much power your 3.5 hdd will require, not sure about these days, but earlier (much earlier ?) 3.5" required a separate power cable.

I'm looking to get a 2TB HDD (3.5") for backing up my stuff. I'd like to have an external casing + internal HDD config. Looking at the amazon and ebay results, there seem to be a bunch of casings at 1500-2000 level and the n it jumps to 5k and then to 10k.

Are the 1500 casings any good? The disk will be used once a month (max 2 times a month). I will be able to run a fan onto the casing for cooling if necessary.

Did you buy anything?
I'm looking for an external casing too, only I'd like to use my drive 24x7. The only reasonably priced one I found was by "QuantumZero".

Did you buy anything?
I'm looking for an external casing too, only I'd like to use my drive 24x7. The only reasonably priced one I found was by "QuantumZero".
Not yet, I'm probably going for something in the 1000-1500 range. for 24x7 usage I'd recommend an actively cooled on (with a fan) unless you are using it in a room which has an AC on for most of the time.

Back