OC & Modding Are these temps ok? (Core i7)

asingh said:
No, I am not joking. 450W is not good for OC'ing. Better safe than sorry. Rest is up to you, to convince him that it is fine.
That has to be the dumbest statement I've heard in a while. 450W would be insufficient if his stock power consumption has already saturated/nearly saturated all of that power, but like I said, he has more than sufficient headroom. The peak power consumption of his system at stock is about 300W and that is assuming he is using 3x high performance fans, multiple USB and PCI devices.

asingh said:
^

No, I am not joking. 450W is not good for OC'ing.

Are you sure you're serious? You think a VX450 isn't enough to OC this config? I dare to say that even when an i7 is paired with 4870, there is more headroom to OC.

@Damn, Naveen58, DVijayDev46:

Ok, I am being dumb and saying a VX450 is not good for OC. You could say I am playing super safe. Sorry. If the OP is convinced he can go ahead. Great.

asingh said:
You could say I am playing super safe.
I would, but the case here is; you misguiding a someone seeking advice, giving room to unnecessary added panic. Should you have cautioned him against overclocking cause of the die temps with his stock cooler, I wouldn't have bothered.
asingh said:
a VX450 is not good for OC
Your premise is flawed.
While a single spoon of honey would last an entire week for an ant, it is almost insignificant for human. Does that mean the spoon of honey is invalidated entirely? Your statement is mutually exclusive to the topic starters configuration.

asingh said:
@Damn, Naveen58, DVijayDev46:

Ok, I am being dumb and saying a VX450 is not good for OC. You could say I am playing super safe. Sorry. If the OP is convinced he can go ahead. Great.

There is no need for sarcasm here really and you don't have to play super safe with this config. Don't you think a good PSU like VX450 which can even provide 500+W will be sufficient for an i7+9500GT combo? My 940 at 3.8 GHz + heavily v-modded (1.6v) 9600GT even at 905 MHz, with 7 120mm fans consume only like 340 - 370W under OCCT power supply test load. It's that simple.

damn said:
I would, but the case here is; you misguiding a someone seeking advice, giving room to unnecessary added panic. Should you have cautioned him against overclocking cause of the die temps with his stock cooler, I wouldn't have bothered.Your premise is flawed.

While a single spoon of honey would last an entire week for an ant, it is almost insignificant for human. Does that mean the spoon of honey is invalidated entirely? Your statement is mutually exclusive to the topic starters configuration.

No I was not misguiding. I was following certain guidelines I like to adhere to. And since this is a purely advisory forum, with no liability on information placement -- I think I was correct in what I wrote. If you read my previous post, I WAS the one, who asked him about his temperatures. Just that since he uses a NON M$ OS, he is facing difficulty showing the differential log during CPU load. Can you as of NOW advice him OC yes/no seeing the mere information he has provided about temperatures. No ways, was my statement invalid. A PSU has to be regarded along with other parameters when recommending OC and/or OC methodologies and techniques. Regarding a colony of ants being compared to a human, is not analogous to the OPs system as compared to a high powered rig. His PSU raised a flag for me, and I recommended it. Heck, he can follow you (and the rest of the crew). IF -- something goes wrong, as if you will be there to bail him out. What I recommended, 100% sure nothing will go wrong. BUT...we still have to see temperature reading from the chip. Mine was not a mutually exclusive statement, it was relevant and pertinent to the topic.

dvijaydev46 said:
There is no need for sarcasm here really and you don't have to play super safe with this config. Don't you think a good PSU like VX450 which can even provide 500+W will be sufficient for an i7+9500GT combo? My 940 at 3.8 GHz + heavily v-modded (1.6v) 9600GT even at 905 MHz, with 7 120mm fans consume only like 340 - 370W under OCCT power supply test load. It's that simple.

I prefer to play super safe. You might like to recommend 'living on the edge' systems. Good for you. That is your style. As we all know, PSU calculation is no exact science, unless one connects a 'watt-oh-meter' device between the PSU PLUG and electrical output socket.

Again (with absolute no sarcasm) I am stating: The OP can try OC if he wants on his VX450. I am saying NO. He can choose. I doubt I am creating panic here. You guys too have great experience (if not more than me), and the OP can choose.

asingh said:
I prefer to play super safe. You might like to recommend 'living on the edge' systems. Good for you. That is your style. As we all know, PSU calculation is no exact science, unless one connects a 'watt-oh-meter' device between the PSU PLUG and electrical output socket.

Well that's absolutely not the case. If you simply do a search on my previous posts in TC, you will see that I have never recommend a PSU which is a tight fit. The problem is you have either over estimated the load power of his rig or underestimated how much VX450 can provide.

In all respects, there is a lot of headroom for that PSU to provide enough power with good efficiency and more importantly low ripple. Yes PSU calculation isn't exact science, but, there are always ways to exactly find out power consumption of individual components. That said, the power draw I reported was just taken from APC powerchute and it can't report the exact figures, but you get a rough idea.

asingh said:
Regarding a colony of ants being compared to a human, is not analogous to the OPs system as compared to a high powered rig.
You maintained that the OP was at risk cause of the power supply for the second time, obviously my straight up reply did not get through. The debate would have been a stalemate if I did not use a primitive example.
asingh said:
What I recommended, 100% sure nothing will go wrong.
By that logic, you should be advising everyone against overclocking. Given those specs, there is absolutely no difference(with respect to power stability) between overclocking on a 450W unit or a 550W unit. Imagine a scenario when the OP resolves his temperatures issues and then succumbs to an absolutely unnecessary investment for a new PSU. A shameful case of misplaced doubt, wouldn't you agree?
asingh said:
Mine was not a mutually exclusive statement, it was relevant and pertinent to the topic.
Context : Weather or not 450W will suffice after the given system has been overclocked.
Your statement : "450W is not good for OC'ing."
Assessment : Clearly you haven't considered the power requirements of then given system at all. Your statement is thus mutually exclusive to the sample. I thought I was pretty clear when I said "is mutually exclusive to the topic starters configuration".
asingh said:
Your metaphor "living on the edge" would be valid if his power draw at stock was near ~380W, but with about 150W of headroom and given the stability of the unit at high loads there is absolutely no risk involved. Very unlikely that the OP would push anything beyond ~3.6, regardless my facts hold good for 4.0 with still some juice to spare for USB/firewire devices.

damn said:
You maintained that the OP was at risk cause of the power supply for the second time, obviously my straight up reply did not get through. The debate would have been a stalemate if I did not use a primitive example.

Yes, and I will still maintain that. Since you did not get my point, I am stressing it again. And not resorting to bee and honey childish examples.

damn said:
By that logic, you should be advising everyone against overclocking. Given those specs, there is absolutely no difference(with respect to power stability) between overclocking on a 450W unit or a 550W unit. Imagine a scenario when the OP resolves his temperatures issues and then succumbs to an absolutely unnecessary investment for a new PSU. A shameful case of misplaced doubt, wouldn't you agree?

No ways, am I advising the world never to OC. Its so much fun, and gives great performance boost to the system. And now as per you there is no difference between a 450W and 550W. Please. Those are basic numbers. Even a child can tell the difference.

damn said:
Context : Weather or not 450W will suffice after the given system has been overclocked.

Your statement : "450W is not good for OC'ing."

Assessment : Clearly you haven't considered the power requirements of then given system at all. Your statement is thus mutually exclusive to the sample. I thought I was pretty clear when I said "is mutually exclusive to the topic starters configuration".

I had checked the PSU of the system. As per me it was coming to around 380W, full load. OC'ed on his equipment. Yea, the 450W will make do, but not comfortable. So straight away I said NO. And will stick by it. He has 70W have listed head room -- not accounting for the 530W which the VX450W has been successfully tested at.

damn said:
Your metaphor "living on the edge" would be valid if his power draw at stock was near ~380W, but with about 150W of headroom and given the stability of the unit at high loads there is absolutely no risk involved. Very unlikely that the OP would push anything beyond ~3.6, regardless my facts hold good for 4.0 with still some juice to spare for USB/firewire devices.

[/QUOTE]

Sure makes sense. My way of calculating and keeping over head specially on OC systems differs from yours. No ways did I post my BIG FAT NO, without looking into the system settings, and what the OP wants to do with it.

Ok, tell me..if you had a system like that..would you OC it on a VX450W...?

asingh said:
Yes, and I will still maintain that. Since you did not get my point, I am stressing it again. And not resorting to bee and honey childish examples.
You were too thick headed to understand when I put it plainly. So used an example to better suit your standards.
asingh said:
And now as per you there is no difference between a 450W and 550W. Please. Those are basic numbers. Even a child can tell the difference.
You are either blind or plain retarded. Try reading what I said again.
Given those specs, there is absolutely no difference(with respect to power stability) between overclocking on a 450W unit or a 550W unit.
asingh said:
I had checked the PSU of the system. As per me it was coming to around 380W, full load. OC'ed on his equipment. Yea, the 450W will make do, but not comfortable. So straight away I said NO. And will stick by it. He has 70W have listed head room
asingh said:
Sure makes sense. My way of calculating and keeping over head specially on OC systems differs from yours. No ways did I post my BIG FAT NO, without looking into the system settings, and what the OP wants to do with it.
/debate
You have no clue what you are talking about. Quit embarrassing yourself further, stop making a stand. 70W is sufficient to accommodate a few high CFM 120mm fans, 2x hard drives, 3x USB drives and spare for the now_critical_power.
asingh said:
Ok, tell me..if you had a system like that..would you OC it on a VX450W...?
After I am done resolving those temperature problems, sure.

******Here is where the flaming starts*********

Well, well. I have you right where I wanted you. All spitting mad, and writing words like "blind, plain retarded, and thick headed" to name a few. :) Well I ain't blind for sure, since am typing using a keyboard, not retarded for sure, and hardly thick headed. My skull thickness seems normal. Knock..knock.

I doubt I have embarrassed my self or am -- since all the points I have listed in the threads prior to yours are logical and backed with plain sense. It is you who is acting in a juvenile and frustrated manner since you do not have much more to say. As I said in my previous posts -- you guys have great experience too, the OP is more than welcome to try his hand at OC'ing on this -- the VX450 has safety measure. He will see system shut down, or instability due to PSU shortage IF and say it again IF the VX450 does not suffice. Yes the OPs system draw will touch around 380W (I mentioned that earlier) and off course 380 < 450. He is near his threshold, but still away. This could be safe for some users well not for me, with thousands worth equipment at stake. I like to keep at least 30% always free on the PSU, for last minute desperate editions -- and this way the PSU is not loaded to 100% constant.

Have had my say here, and will not be flaming. And I know when to call it quits -- for sure.

@OP:
You can OC on 450W. If you see system instability, post back and we can suggest other measures. Best of luck.

@Damn:
Hope you understand where I am heading, and the thought process I follow for PSU recommendations. Definately we have a disconnect. Your method is correct, but mine is also not incorrect.

Stop this my friends and if u really need to debate do this in Pm :) Mods Please close this thread or at least interfere before more flaming begins :)

salman8506 said:
Well bechara op ka case to ek side hi reh gaya :D :p

@op: Any update as to what u r upto with the cooling :)

lol. I got myself a CM Hyper 212+ and CM Thermal Fusion 400 (Nano Fusion wasn't available at Nehru Place) today, but am waiting for my Antec Spot Cool fan so that the IOH temps don't get too high considering that aftermarket CPU heat sinks leave little room for (passive) cooling of the IOH.

(very n00b query alert: Should I take out the CPU to apply the paste ? I am asking because on my MSI Pro-E board, the hinge takes some force to fix the CPU in its place & am very paranoid about thinks breaking)

well the cm hyper 212 will have it's own fitting instructions u don't have to remove the cpu i believe but remember to clean the leftover Tim with Iso propyl alcohol Famous as doctor's spirit in medical stores and use a earbud dipped in the alcohol to clean it fast without messing :) Any other query???

No, what I meant was, should I take the CPU out of the motherboard to clean it (and applying new paste) or can I keep it fixed in its pace & then carry out the procedure ?

Back