Are tubular batteries suitable for indoor use?

arroy_0209

Recruit
I am planning to purchase an Inva-tubular battery but I am concerned about its side-effects. Various websites inform that such lead-acid batteries emit gaseous substance (may be hydrogen/acid/lead compound) in air. In my case the battery along with the UPS has to be kept inside the drawing room since there is no other suitable place to keep that inside my flat. Do you think that this may lead to any health problem in long-term? Has anybody you know used such battery this way?

I am switching from sealed maintenance free battery since my previous SMF battery lasted for merely fourteen months. That was a huge loss since the guarantee period was only one year. I assume other such battery will also have short guarantee period. Can anybody please clear my above doubt? Thanks.

i am using exide inva tubular battery [150Ah] from past 8 years. its located in my drawing room :-/ sometimes emits sounds like boiling water. but its working fine. never replaced battery since my inverter was bought 8 years ago. still getting enough backup.

idk about health issues. but there is no option for me as i have only 2 rooms :-(

i am using 2 80Ah exide express batteries with my APC smart UPS for the past 2 years, never faced any issue. It all depends on how to you charge your batteries. With a good charger batteries wont boil as hgps stated. My smart UPS charges the battery at 5 amps, i know its slow charge, but really safe on batteries.

As long as your room is well ventilated you should not have any issues. Secondly you are not going to connect several batteries. Having 1 or 2 batteries in a well ventilated room does not have any issues. Again this is my personal opinion.

You are referring to sites and people talking about fumes, are these indian sites or ppl from india???? i dont think so. Probably western countries dont allow ppl to install all these at their homes, because, they dont have proper ventilation, secondly houses are made of wood, thirdly they are completely air conditioned.

Guys remember we are in india and the above said points dont really apply to majority of them as far as india is concerned.

I am not advocating or pushing you to do what i have done. So make your decision wisely.

I am using inva red 500+ for almost 2 years. never gave any smell or sound; very silent.

Advertised warranty is 3 years though the guy who does its maintenance says these one easily complete 5 years.

What I heard is that in case your room is big enough and is well ventilated; you can safely go with normal battery (i.e. not-sealed)

There are no problems. You can go ahead.

Check the levels of the liquid (dilute acid) every 6 months - top up if req'd with distilled water - available at most petrol pumps or battery shops. Use distilled water only - else life of the battery would get affected.

Praks said:
Many Intervert champs here, Wanted to ask 1 Q,

Saw an advt of Arise Inverter for just 3600 Rs, Are they good ?

could you post the link of the inverter company? i could not find any. For 4.5k you get a microtek puresinewave 850VA. why to take the risk of going in for some unbranded items when you get good ones for cheaper price

I am usong tubular batteries from past 2 years inside the house and do not find any health issues also i have good ventillation at home

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

are microtek inverters are silent?

iam using sukam its fan makes lot of noise while recharging and backup

Probably the su-kam invertal that you use does not have a sine wave output. You might get a humming noise on all inverters which are not pure sinewave.

Technology has changed and pure sinewave inverters are available for cheaper price.

Probably the su-kam invertal that you use does not have a sine wave output. You might get a humming noise on all inverters which are not pure sinewave.

Technology has changed and pure sinewave inverters are available for cheaper price.

Some Sukam sine wave models have a fan, and the inverter itself hums a bit when charging

But the output is pure sine wave and devices run like on normal power supply

All Pure Sine Wave inverters humms while charging the battery & while providing back up. Intensity of this humming though varies.

Any inverter with a seperate fan for cooling would overtime make more noise due to the fan itself, there could be dust on the fan blades or the fan going kaput over time. but this noise would be different from the general humming coming out of a Pure Sine Wave inverters.

Back