CPU/Mobo Are VIA CPUs & Mobos available in B'lore?

Gryph0n

Adept
I've been thinking of building a rig for only downloading stuff from the net.

VIA CPUs are high in my priority list since they are reputed to be very power efficient

Are VIA CPUs & Mobos available in B'lore? India? If so, I'd appreciate the pricing details on them

Has anyone already done this? User experiences are also greatly appreciated

@Ank1t

I suppose you are meaning the VIA mobos for Intel/AMD CPUs. I'm interested in the Mobos for the VIA CPUs. Again, I'm for 1 package, and not an entire lot

@greenhorn

Well, Intel is way below in my preferences. For the low power (electricity & MIPS) rigs, I believe that AMD is a better deal. (I'm not an AMD Fanboy - I have an Intel C2D E6750/Intel DP35 mobo on my rig, but for this scenario, AMD looks a better fit)

From the replies so far, I'm inclined to believe that VIA isnt available in the retail market here (It seems there are Indian companies that have signed agreements with VIA for CPUs in low cost PCs)

Even me looking for a VIA CPU Mobo Combo, I'm looking for the fanless 500MHz VIA Eden ULV processor requires just 1 watt of electricity to run...
Now thats what i call a power saver, it suits best as a download rig.

More info.....

VIA has developed a new fanless Eden ULV processor that chugs along at 500MHz, requiring just 1 watt of electricity to run. Whenever it is idle, the processor will sip a mere tenth of a watt - talk about efficiency! The low power requirements found in this new processor will target firms that design and engineer embedded systems which require low power consumption, while those looking for an eco-friendly design will definitely welcome this development. There will be 1GHz and 1.5GHz versions that consume 3.5 and 7.5 watts respectively as well in case you need more juice. When will such power saving measures reach the mass consumer market? Then we don't need those huge 600W monstrosities, unless you are running on a dual video card setup to meet Bioshock requirements.

Source: via eden cpu

kippu said:
greenhorn thanks for the heads up on the intel ...i needed that

which one :)

btw, gryph0n, there are cases when the via is useful. say in a car pc , or other cases where power consumption is paramount. But for a download rig, i think price would be an important factor as well :p

greenhorn said:
which one :)

btw, gryph0n, there are cases when the via is useful. say in a car pc , or other cases where power consumption is paramount. But for a download rig, i think price would be an important factor as well :p

I had a look at the link posted earlier about power consumption between the D201GLY & VIA. I was amazed. My thinking was that VIA is the most power efficient. While the website did nothing to change that belief, the D201GLY was very close to VIA

Yes, you're right. Price is also an important consideration. I'm thinking of a budget of 10K for CPU, Mobo (both are combined in the D201GLY), HDD, Cabinet & SMPS. But that would be the subject of an another thread.

Thanks for the pointers, greenhorn. Very helpful

Found something very interesting as i was gonna build something similar. Talking about the psu the picoPSU 90 seems like a good choice with the Intel D201GLY.
Here is the interesting link about the power consumption of both via and intel so this can help us make a better decision imho.
Mini-ITX Intel D201GLY Power Consumption

But the only thing that bothers me about the picoPSU is the availability and its pricing :mad:

More info on picoPSU here :
picoPSU-90 DC/DC (90 Watt) [perfect for Intel D201GLY(2)(A)] *new*

Back