Asianet broadband , Javascript Ad injection

Asianet Broadband Kerala, is injecting Javascript ads with all web page requests.

More details given here: Asianet(ISP) injecting javascript code(ads) in every webpage requested by the customer | Dipin Krishna

On contacting customer care about this, they said that they are actually testing this ad service for displaying ads for all users!

These ads turn up on all websites, including flipkart, icici internet banking and other pages!

In-spite of letting them know that this is a huge security risk, they seem to think it is a new feature from their side!

I have contacted the Nodal officer and appellate authority for a comment but am yet to hear back.

Note: This 'feature' is available for all users without the login page feature. They say that if you switch to the login page, you won't see the ads.

Wow, amazing feature!! This is gonna revolutionize the ad marketing and have even google quaking in its boots!

/sarcasm

Oh, didn't know about this. I am on one of their limited plans which require a login page, so never noticed this. Anyway its a ridiculous step from their side, I don't understand how an ISP can even think about this!

Revolutionary in ads industry. 'Problem Google ?'
<

Adblock plus FTW. Blocks any ads, no customers don't need to worry.

Any idea how to file a consumer complaint / complaint to Trai? Apparently we can submit a complaint to the Appellate authority, if the ISP does not take action ..

That's why you should stick to national ISPs no matter how lucrative the plans offered by these regional players seem. Also, this just shows we need stricter rules in India regarding user privacy and the internet on the whole.

Funny you should mention that. I took a BSNL connection as a backup, (Combo 1000 - 1-2 Mbps upto 15GB , 256 beyond ) , but this does not have the same level of uptime as asianet.

Also, the 15GB limit is sad. Asianet internet and TV still have an impressive uptime record, but for the brain dead ideas like this.

Have you tied Open DNS DNSCrypt?
It encrypts all DNS traffic between the user and OpenDNS, preventing any spying, spoofing or man-in-the-middle attacks.
But I am not sure that it could stop this type of techniques. Still worth a try...

I am using Open DNS / Google DNS .

DNS servers give you the IP for the website you are looking for.
The remote website transmits the contents of the webpage.

The @#$@ ISP , then injects their content into the page!

DNSCrypt / VPN will help, but will not get the ISP to straighten out its ways. I am thinking more on the lines of how to get them to roll it back.

It is quite obvious that they do not want users of their "Unlimited connections" to be online 24x7 ( I am not a data hog, btw)

-------------------------
Sadly, we have been customers of Asianet for 10+ years.

Reply 2:
As informed earlier, the only option available to by pass the advertisement links is to route the connection through our server which requires username and password before connecting to internet.So please confirm back if wants to enable the login option.At present removal of adds as well as login option is not possible.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply 1:
Advertisement content displayed will not contain any malware or other sofware codes to breach the privacy of the customer or steal any of the users personal information from the computer.This is an experimental run for some time where we are working to provide additional benefits to the customer by providing useful services. As mentioned earlier,this is not a malware or spyware and no personal data is collected.The advertisement pane will close automatically within 10seconds or can close the window manually.

So please confirm back to the same id if wants to bypass the advertisement link by enabling the authentication procedure against the connection.

Back