ASP.NET or Drupal?

cool_dude

Disciple
Hey friends, how r ya all? Fine I hope...

Well, I want to start a website and want ur suggestions.My options are ASP.net and Drupal. Well, I know ASP.net (I am coding it for 2+ years) but know nothing about Drupal. So, now what shud I do? Learn Drupal or go with ASP.net? Is Drupal really good? What is the total cost for both of them? Will I be able to manage with MS VS Express edition/SharpDevelope or vl I hv to buy the MS VS enterprise edition?

Also, sm names of good, reliable web hosts vl prove really helpful...

Thanks,

Abhijeet.

drupal = free :D , its based on PHP :) if you want to work with drupal, learn PHP

as you know asp.net, the nearest equivalent for drupal from the MS stables is MS sharepoint server. Me got drupal(+ a WAMP server) up and running just by reading the manuals :D

whoa...sharepoint is way too big to be compared with drupal. drupal is another php OS cms out there. dotnetnuke or community server is what you should be looking at for a drupal alternative. both have excellent community support, but most of the modules are paid. so you can use your experience to make new modules.

Drupal has many free plugins and templates. If you want to just run a site with no hassles and load it with features use drupal or any other equivalent cms.

Home - OpenSourceCMS - might wanna check this.

well, @ ze office i was asked to implement a web 2.0 ish (the PHB wanted a regularly updated site with lotsa different content. I was too lazy to update HTML all the time and suggested a CMS) portal. our co seems to have licensed sharepoint, but i was too lazy, and didnt want to do anything with MS , and wanted to show off what OSS could do, and setup drupal instead :D

lol...we got sharepoint as main intranet portal too. Still i think its way too bloated to be used as a personal site. i don't like drupal only coz of the 3 col layout. otherwise its best thing out there and most popular too.

I know, but my problem is the column based layout. makes it look like just another site. Take joomla for example. you can organize a site the way you want. Every site may not look good with portal type design.

:rofl: coded real fast too....definitely a good choice for a content oriented portal. Joomla wouldn't have fitted in there.

Back