asus 1000h triple boot-- OSX + ubuntu + win XP

banda

Disciple
so i installed and tweaked three different operating systems to work smoothly on my little asus 1000h

have had this setup running for the last three weeks with no issues in any of the 3 OSes

booting is controlled by grub

just wanted to share some pics..

i hate the eeepc branding hence covered with ubuntu stickers)

everything is working on each os including fn keys webcam audio and wifi.. only wired lan and mic not working in osx, everything else.. smooth as silk.

Thats fantastic , Congrats :)

Howz the speed in all OS is it laggy by anychance.

Also are all the eyecandy effects for Ubuntu enabled , i mean the Compiz fusion thingy.

Also how fast is Mac on the Netbook.

A step by step guide wud have been gr8 but now u have already installed.

Atleast share with us the

- Exact OS versions

- Which OS you installed first and the order.

- how did you partition and how much space for each OS.

- Is the bootloader "GRUB"

A small mini guide wud help a lot.

Pics cant be possible unless u reformat it but a text writeup wud do.

all three OSs r perfectly usable. no lag issues at all.

i hav been using osx mostly in the last few weeks and i am very impressed with its speed. i have itunes running at logon and it have it running continuously in one of the other spaces. the animation from one space to another is smooth. also have firefox instance running in the primary space usually with numerous tabs open and still everything is snappy. i'd say osX seems to be quicker/equal to xp's speed except for the 50seconds that osx takes for booting.

but getting osx to work took a lot of work(much much more than the other two) starting with ideneb 10.5.5 and numerous kexts to fix everything thats broke after the installed. but it was well worth the effort.

i have ubuntu hardy heron installed with a customized kernel made for 1000h which made everything work out of the box. at present i have left the ui of hardy uncustomised, but compiz is still running. i had earlier in another installation of hardy a fully composited desktop with the desktop cube, minimize maximize animation, a osx like dock. but right now i m using os x most of the time so hav not spent time customising the ubuntu installation.

windows is also a modified version with lots of unnecessary things removed to make the install smaller and faster.

booting is handled by ubuntu's grub which for osx then initiates chameleon - the bootloader for os x.

the partitions are as follows-

windows-17gb

osx - 40 gb

hardy - 22gb

+1gb swap

installation order was

1st- osx

2nd- ubuntu

3rd - windows

and then created another partition to hook up to ubuntu as swap space, since windows wont install if 3 partitions are already present.

at last i fixed the grub menu with ubuntu's live cd .then booted into ubuntu to figure out the entries for the other oses.

a few litres of coffee and 10%loss of vision in my eyes reading howtos and forum posts online went into making my 1000h the ultimate os junkie's toy.

i will try to post a mini howto later with links to posts i followed to install each os

here is one pic each of ubuntu and windows after logging in.

sory for the typos in the last post.. but i m a little sleepy...

what do i need to do to edit my posts around here ??.. i see not button to do that!!

banda said:
i don't have any mac stickers :cry:

Get it from some1 who has iphone or print the MAC logo with black border around it (u have to do some edit work) and cut the paper and paste it on ur laptop... :p nice way to make a sticker urself :hap2:

Back