Asus Board U.2 Support

The manual mentions connecting PCIe storage devices to those ports so it will work, but Wendell mentions that you'd require specific cabling in his overview of that motherboard:

The manual mentions connecting PCIe storage devices to those ports so it will work, but Wendell mentions that you'd require specific cabling in his overview of that motherboard:

Saw the video, wonder why he keeps saying that its for the 2400 CPUs, Asus lists both. I don't remember anything about cabling in the video.

The cabling is mentioned after 5:20 in the video. It's just a passing comment.

This board and the 2400 series are quad channel, you could use 3400 series but you wouldn't get 8 channel memory. The W790 SAGE has 8 channel memory.

They're a little sneaky in how they mention this on the product pages, both boards have 8 memory slots but the ACE is 2DPC (dimms per channel) and the SAGE is 1DPC.

The cabling is mentioned after 5:20 in the video. It's just a passing comment.

This board and the 2400 series are quad channel, you could use 3400 series but you wouldn't get 8 channel memory. The W790 SAGE has 8 channel memory.

They're a little sneaky in how they mention this on the product pages, both boards have 8 memory slots but the ACE is 2DPC (dimms per channel) and the SAGE is 1DPC.

I'll check it again but I know that you need specific cables, I also know that sometimes these cables don't work and you need to try a different brand.

I know that but I can't fit a 12"x13" board. I'd need a new case. Also if I could I'd look at SuperMicro.

I have gone through the literature but wasn't sure about U.2 support, they do mention NVME and PCIe but wanted to be sure. The bigger boards are better, if I could fit it. Not looking to change the case as I'd have to go with some server rack mount and I don't have spare rack space. Also added cost.

Patrick from STH did a couple builds with the SAGE version and I noticed he used a m.2 to U.2 adapter, so I guess that's one way around cabling issues:

It was fun reading up on this latest generation of HEDT, I still have your DX79SR in daily use even though it's my least efficient system (pulling 150W+ at load) in my cluster.

Patrick from STH did a couple builds with the SAGE version and I noticed he used a m.2 to U.2 adapter, so I guess that's one way around cabling issues:

It was fun reading up on this latest generation of HEDT, I still have your DX79SR in daily use even though it's my least efficient system (pulling 150W+ at load) in my cluster.

I have 2 M.2 to U.2 adapters from different companies I bought for troubleshooting, didn't need them in the end.

It's been a while since there was an Intel entry in HEDT. When I had that system it was good and stable, never build systems for efficiency though. I might be putting up my current system up for sale ( X299) after I get this one unless I can put it to use around my office. I really wish Intel would bring back the HEDT line in it's original "Extreme" form. There is either consumer or workstation, and the consumer has very low amount of PCIe lanes and lacks things like U.2 which I need. The workstation processors are also expensive while lacking single core performance. I wouldn't mind the price so much if it had single core performance too.

Back