Asus motherboard RMA - pleasant experience

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
My primary rig had an Asus P8P67 Pro board purchased during May 2011. Everything was fine until recently when the system wouldn’t boot or POST at all and I am forced to switch off and on a couple of times until it would boot. I had assembled several systems before but never had come across such a weird fault before. After almost a month of this chore, I gave up and decided to give the board for RMA. Looked up on Asus India’s website and there were several service centres listed there - Compuage, Digicomp, Digicare, Rashi (!) and Neoteric. I called up Rishi (some of you may know him!), he had a word with his team and I was asked to submit the board at a Digicare service centre - Icon Infosys at Surat.

The next day, I called up the guy at the service centre (Chirag) and he confirmed that the shop was open until 7:30 PM; hurried home and with a friend rushed to the service centre. Upon reaching there, Chirag told me that he had received a call from Asus Bombay, this case was on top priority (!) and that they just had to ship the board to Bombay via Blue Dart. He collected the board, verified the bill of purchase (from Prime ABGB) for the date, scanned the serial number bar code on the sticker and gave a receipt. In the meantime, I took a snap of the receipt and mailed it to Rishi so as to keep him updated on this front.

Asus Bombay receives the board, tests it and seemingly rectifies the fault after doing a QC pass. They send back the board to the local service centre at Surat after a week’s time. I collected the board and tested it but to my disappointment it ended up being faulty again. The service centre guy told me that the board was repaired and came clean of a QC check but did not tell me what exactly the fault was.

Took the board back to the service centre again and this time before sending it to Bombay, the service centre guy tested the board with several combinations of processors and RAM sticks - it never booted once! He generated another receipt and sent the board to Bombay again. This time however, I was going on a 11 day vacation so I had ample time at my disposal. Asus receives the board, confirms that the board indeed is faulty because the contacts underneath the processor was not making proper contact with the socket’s pins. I was using a Thermalright Ultra 120 heatsink before (which was used with two other systems before) and it worked fine for almost 2 years before this fault showed up! Since the P67 series boards were no longer in production, Asus decides to give me a credit note and take a better board - the P8Z77-V Pro after paying 2740 Rs. more which seemed like a win-win deal to me.

Collected the replacement board yesterday from the local service centre. Chirag was of the opinion that Rashi was reluctant to give the board to him and they had a lengthy discussion on this issue with Asus Bombay before settling it. He also told me that Rashi has been stripped of their motherboard servicing part. But I am glad that Asus has included several other service partners - Rashi used to terrible at one point and it doesn’t look like they have improved! It took them a bit longer than usual but in the end was worth it. So Digicare gets a thumbs up from my side.

Many thanks to Abu Talib, the service manager at Asus Bombay (for the support extended), Rishi (I don’t think I would have got a better solution than this without your support!) and Chirag (the guy at the Digicare local service centre for the help).

1.jpg

The magic ingredient is the R word.

Not Rashi, the other one.

It's inconceivable that Rashi would ever be customer-friendly or proactive. Frankly the only reason I stopped buying Asus boards was the Rashi monopoly (in spite of them having properly sorted boards to begin with) and now that it's over I might think about them again.

Good to hear @Gannu but I wonder if a normal customer would also get the same service, without having to use the influence or rapport with a local dealer. I am a Asus loyalist and hope to be extended the same service in case of need.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about the R word. Also, ASUS's service for me too has been topnotch when I had to RMA my router. And, Rashi gave me replacement on the spot for my ASUS board, and it was a minor upgrade too.

Good to hear @Gannu but I wonder if a normal customer would also get the same service, without having to use the influence or rapport with a local dealer. I am a Asus loyalist and hope to be extended the same service in case of need.
Thanks for sharing!
@Jasku
If in need of help ever, God forbid, PM one of the mods or one of the show-off section regulars using ROG mobos. :)
Rest should be taken care of by your crosssed fingers/toes. :p

@Jasku
If in need of help ever, God forbid, PM one of the mods or one of the show-off section regulars using ROG mobos. :)
Rest should be taken care of by your crosssed fingers/toes. :p

Thank you @BIKeINSTEIN sir for the pointer, will definitely keep in mind, as you rightly said, I hope never to disturb one of em!

Back