Graphic Cards Asus Radeon HD6870 graphic card fan died!!! In a fix...what to do?

I bought Asus 6870 in 2011, and its fan just died on me. Its out of warranty off course and the service center guys say that they don't have the parts for my graphic card so it cant be repaired, so i am considering getting 3rd party gpu cooler from the market. But i don't know which are compatible with my graphic card and where to find one.

P.S.- I stay in Mumbai, India. So please suggest me shop and which model should i get. Thank you!!!

Sorry for intrude but, i too have the same problem with my XFX HD 5770 (graphic card fan dead)
Is it possible to replace the fan alone or entire heatsink has to be replaced...? I was unable to open the screws with the tools i had :(

Sorry for intrude but, i too have the same problem with my XFX HD 5770 (graphic card fan dead)
Is it possible to replace the fan alone or entire heatsink has to be replaced...? I was unable to open the screws with the tools i had :(
I have 2 fans with me. One that I ordered from that link. Other is one from the pair.
What is distance between the screw holes ? 42 or 40 mm ?

You'll guys are from mumbai? Go under that fly over near Lamington road station where you get old computer parts, you'll get working 60/80mm fans for 10 bucks there. Buy a couple of different sized fans, break off the fan on your old gpu, and with zipties attach the new one. Solved in less than 50 bucks.[DOUBLEPOST=1398684109][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, some of those fans may be extremely fast (and noisy) so you may need need to plug those fans into a fan port on the gpu or motherboard and manually control the fan speeds or else live with the noise. Oiling the fans slightly can help too. Lastly, breaking the fan off maybe the only way to remove the fan as several fans come integrated with the heatsink.

Last edited:
You'll guys are from mumbai? Go under that fly over near Lamington road station where you get old computer parts, you'll get working 60/80mm fans for 10 bucks there. Buy a couple of different sized fans, break off the fan on your old gpu, and with zipties attach the new one. Solved in less than 50 bucks.[DOUBLEPOST=1398684109][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, some of those fans may be extremely fast (and noisy) so you may need need to plug those fans into a fan port on the gpu or motherboard and manually control the fan speeds or else live with the noise. Oiling the fans slightly can help too. Lastly, breaking the fan off maybe the only way to remove the fan as several fans come integrated with the heatsink.
I personally don't like such jugads. It would bother me a lot knowing that there is such a jugad gpu in my well maintained cabinet. It also decrease the resale value, which is a big factor for me[DOUBLEPOST=1398684757][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sorry for the delay will let you know today night!!!
Sure no problem

I personally don't like such jugads. It would bother me a lot knowing that there is such a jugad gpu in my well maintained cabinet. It also decrease the resale value, which is a big factor for me[DOUBLEPOST=1398684757][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sure no problem
I had too faced the same problem long back with nvidia 8600 graphics card. I just went to local computer repair shop and bought some amd cpu cooler for 20 bucks. The fan size was same as of my gpu. I just connected the wires and it started working nicely. Fixing the fan was easy, just drilled the holes by looking at the previous fan. The hwmonitor also showed almost same temperatures before my gpu fan died. My Gpu ran for another 3 years, after which the gpu itself went bad.

You can explore similar option as mentioned above, but it depends how the fan is, i.e is it a axial fan or a radial fan. Does the current fan suck or throw air against the graphics card.

If you dont need a jugaad type of solution, then you can go for custom coolers for gpu with heatsink. Although that would need some internet searching.

Is it normal to get 60c
Nowadays in summer with a corsair 400r with xfx 6950...... Asus p8z77 board.
One extra fans are added..

Dimensions (HxDia) ?
EDIT : And a post a pic if you can
[DOUBLEPOST=1399406418][/DOUBLEPOST]

l3xd3rB.jpg

Last edited:
Back