Storage Solutions Asus sata dvd writer

G80_gts

Disciple
my old hp/liteon writer conkd off..so was looking at a replacement ....i managed to shorten the list to either the ide lg gsa h55n or the samsung sata one SH-203b/d....but suddenly my dealer opens up anoder front with asus option...all he cud tell me its sata, has lightscribe,....and will cost me arnd 1.4k bucks.....so i think it shud eithr be da DRW-2014L1T or the DRW-1814BL ......

so shud i take the asus plunge or stick with the koreans???

I'm using the DRW-1814BL. Really silent and has no trouble reading any of the DVDs I have unlike the 3 Sonys I have. But it's a PATA drive.

okies thnx naga....hmm it gets tuffer den...btw ill be writing abt a 2 dvds every alternate day..so i hope its reliable...

It's been more than a month with me and I average 2 DVDs/Cds a day (writing driver CDs, data recoveries etc for my friends/ clients). No problems till now and the silent operation is a bonus when watching DVDs at low volumes.

Long term reliability is an unknown though I've read really bad reviews about the drive. Fortunately, most complaints came up either out of the box or within the 1st couple of days of usage, so I guess I got a good piece :hap2:

Btw, I'm getting very good scans on my TYs with this compared to the Sonys.

okies.....the 20X version wasnt available...so i bugged the dealer and he finnaly agreed at 1.3k all inclusive...as of now its been a few hrs and i can the following

pros:
ultra quiet as naga had pointed out earlier
very low cpu utilisation even during writing
fast enuff..spin up times seems a bit on low side but makes up in burst rates
sata no more cable management issues
litescribe

cons: as of now nuthn...will keep u folks updated

amdlover said:
I will say... ASUS DRW-2014L1T.

It is available for 1450 in Pune.

Bundle is also good.

Ha,ha .Who asked anything :rofl:? Read the threads, he's already made his purchase :rofl:

Edit: No offence, but doesn't anybody bother to at least read the threads b4 posting???

hmm cool den..a diff of 2x aint gonna matter much... pls where i live im sure the 20x wud hv costed uowards of 1.6k...no regrets :)

no probs mate..te only thing that cant really be called a blemish is the quality of the tray door mechanism..it just doesnt feel sturdy like the lg`s...
having said dat its nt the ss horror story...just a feeling...anyhow an excellent drive nevertheless......thnx naga ...

Thanks for such a review dude...even i am planning to go for sata now... have asked smc for one but he dosen't have asus and convincing me to take sony. shud i buy sony or asus now pls let me know..?

G80_gts said:
no probs mate..te only thing that cant really be called a blemish is the quality of the tray door mechanism..it just doesnt feel sturdy like the lg`s...

having said dat its nt the ss horror story...just a feeling...anyhow an excellent drive nevertheless......thnx naga ...

a friend of mine has both ide and sata versions of 1814 and the tray doesn't seem "asus"ed. sounds like a gunshot. :p BHRIKHSH :eek:hyeah: And believe me it's GREAT(the write, not gunshot sound :p)

Back