PC Peripherals Asus Starice question

hey guys ,am thinking of installing the Asus starice , I have a few questions before starting , help me wid it .

1) What do u have to say about the weight , i mean if its made by Asus they might have done some sorta testing . I read somewhere in a post by nikhil that AMD recommended heatsink/fan weight is 450 gms , what say guys ?. Starice owners especially , what do u guys feel ?

2)I am using it on a K8V Deluxe , so what is suggested , should i go with 'without backplate installation ' or 'wid backplate installation' . If i go with the back plate installtion , how do i remove the default mobo backplate ? . I unscrewed the plastic deafault heatsink holder but the backplate seems rigid , wanna be sure before i use force .

3) Are u really happy with the results?.

Me and darky were discussing the other day abt the star ice and came to a conclusion that the main reason why the star ice is bad is cos of the sad fan assembly thats present on the top. Its noisy and bad. If you look at the HSF, its nothing but a thermaltake silent tower/tower 112 type design which are pretty decent HSFs. (infact its oem thermaltake :p) So the best idea would be to remove the dustbuster on top of the HSF and put a nice quiet panaflo fan on it instead. I guess it'll perform rather well then.

Raggin ice, just a reminder...

Im selling my xp-90 with 78.8cfm delta for rs2700shipped....and im 100% it will be quiter and much more effecient than the starice...

Plus the XP-90 is very light and under Intel+AMD max reccomended weight loads.

my xp-90 is lighter than my stock p4 cooler actually...

sorry to post this...but meh

He has already bought the starice.... I don't think he is interested in buying an XP-90 now :)

And yes.... the recommended weight for a HSF combo for an AMD mobo is around 450 grams. but this is only recommended. Heavier solutions can be used but they may damage your mobo..... s

Chaos said:
Me and darky were discussing the other day abt the star ice and came to a conclusion that the main reason why the star ice is bad is cos of the sad fan assembly thats present on the top. Its noisy and bad. If you look at the HSF, its nothing but a thermaltake silent tower/tower 112 type design which are pretty decent HSFs. (infact its oem thermaltake :p) So the best idea would be to remove the dustbuster on top of the HSF and put a nice quiet panaflo fan on it instead. I guess it'll perform rather well then.
LOL ... I am surprised that it took you that long to realise that :huh: :cool2:
if you connect two high CFM fans on it, and sacrifice on sound levels a bit, then its performance will be "nearly" equal to that of an average water cooling kit on average loads;)

Nikhil said:
He has already bought the starice.... I don't think he is interested in buying an XP-90 now :)
And yes.... the recommended weight for a HSF combo for an AMD mobo is around 450 grams. but this is only recommended. Heavier solutions can be used but they may damage your mobo..... s
The copper Zalman that i use on the dfi ultra weighs more than 750 gms. and so far no problems ....

I have used the TT Tower112 for over 3 months on my A7N8X Dlx.. and it was fine.. :D the combined weight of the HF n 2 80mm fans was close to 950g or so..

Well ragin if u havent bought a cooler yet, get the xp90 that kev is selling. It'll work a lot better than the starice or even the zalmans. Its excellent and really low weight... 360gm+weight of fan. Thats less than intel/amd recommended maximum. However if u have already bought a cooler, then do as everyone suggested here and mod the cooler.

he already has it. infact i had seen his sale offer (of it) a few days back.
edit: oops duplicate post , mods kindly delete it. thanks.

@ ragin ice,

In case you decide to go in for the XP-90 from kev182 then i would not mind to get ur starice for 1K.
Since i already have a xp-90. otherwise i would have bought it from him after further bargaining.

Collecting h/s is a new fetish / hobby for me currently, albeit a very costly hobby.

deejay said:

@ ragin ice,
In case you decide to go in for the XP-90 from kev182 then i would not mind to get ur starice for 1K.
Since i already have a xp-90. otherwise i would have bought it from him after further bargaining.
Collecting h/s is a new fetish / hobby for me currently, albeit a very costly hobby.
how about exchanging them( the xp90 and the starice) , considering the fact the Asus starice has been bought on 18th june 2005 , has been barely used for 3 hours, is in its retail box with all the accessories , and the market price is similar or guess rather more for the starice . :D .

deejay said:
No Ragin_ice i cannot exchange. i am keeping the XP-90 for the future bouts of upgraditis.:D

haha. np

deejay said:
if you connect two high CFM fans on it, and sacrifice on sound levels a bit, then its performance will be "nearly" equal to that of an average water cooling kit on average loads

can u recommend any ? and the place to source it in Mumbai .

any reasonably high CFM panaflo , sunon (original), nidec etc...

in one of the bylanes off lamington Road, Chunam lane its called . you walk about 100 paces there is a shop ( i dont remember the name) to your right side. you cannot miss it since the shop has fans displayed in the glass windows.

I had recently purchased panaflo and original sunon's from there.
he has a good collection of 120 mm fans too.

you can even test the fans and select as per ur choice.

deejay said:
any reasonably high CFM panaflo , sunon (original), nidec etc...

in one of the bylanes off lamington Road, Chunam lane its called . you walk about 100 paces there is a shop ( i dont remember the name) to your right side. you cannot miss it since the shop has fans displayed in the glass windows.

you can even test the fans and select as per ur choice.

hey thatz a very useful piece of info, dj , thank u . what was the size of the fans u purchased and how much u paid for them ( so that i dont get fleeced ;))

i do not remember now but they were 80 mm . prices were quite reasonable. 100 ~ 150 bucks max for the panaflo and less than 100 for the sunon's. i had posted about the prices about 2 months ago here. will try to search for it and i suggest you do the same.

deejay said:

Thanks a lot Deejay i wanted to know where i cud get high cfm panflo , sunon fans here in Mumbai.

Since u have visited there i wanted a Panflo High CFM low db fan 120mm
can i get it there if yes for how much ne idea.

Back