CPU/Mobo ASUS X58 Motherboard detecting 4GB RAM instead of 6GB

stalker00031

Disciple
Hi all,

I have the ASUS X58 Sabertooth Motherboard. I had got this board two days back.

When I had first assembled this system, it was showing 6GB in Triple Channel (saw this using CPU-z). Today, I saw that the memory was showing up as 4GB - Dual Channnel.

Using CPU-z i found out that the DIMM slot 3 isnt reading any memory.

I have tried swapping the memory between slots. The memory seems to be fine. When any of the sticks are placed in DIMM3 they are not detected. They arent detected in the BIOS as well as windows.

What could be the problem here? I have installed all memory in the correct DIMM slots. It wont post if i put all memory in the other channel.

My System Configuration is below

Core i7 950 stock

X58 Sabertooth

Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 RAM

MSI GTX 580

Corsair HX850

Thanks

@Pixel

Will try cleaning the slot. I doubt that's the problem as its a brand new board. The latest version of the BIOS is already present.

@Zloyd

I am using Win7 64bit

^^

Is the OS legit..? Sorry to ask.

Also try to clean the slots, just blow hard into them, and reseat the DIMMs. Reset the CMOS once too.

^^ What does OS being legit have anything to do with RAM detection?

OP: If the Ram is not even showing up in the BIOS, it is most definitely a issue with the board. Get the board RMAed. Why are you trying to fix it yourself when the board is under warranty.

Lord Nemesis said:
^^ What does OS being legit have anything to do with RAM detection?

OP: If the Ram is not even showing up in the BIOS, it is most definitely a issue with the board. Get the board RMAed. Why are you trying to fix it yourself when the board is under warranty.
There have been cases where cracked / slip streamed OS installers report incorrect RAM once they are operational on systems.

from ur query it looks like its a RAM slot or RAM problem.Also check RAM timings and voltage in bios.

Try to run memtest with two sticks installed at a time.

op

i had the same issue

with the same board

here is what u need to do

1)remove the cmos battery

2)wait 15 sec

3)insert batters

4)go into bios and set the dram voltage as to what is specified by the manufacturer

5)save and restart

hopefully this should get ur memory back

it worked for me

:)

^^ Sounds like a firmware defect in which case an updated firmware might also help.

asingh said:
There have been cases where cracked / slip streamed OS installers report incorrect RAM once they are operational on systems.
He mentioned that it was not getting detected in the BIOS itself. Dont think a pirated copy of os can have any say at that level.

+1 to what moksh4u said.. try that and let us know.

Also make sure that you set your Qpi/Vtt voltage to a minimum of 1.3 and then check if they detect.

Missing ram is usually because of insufficient voltage of either Vram volts or Qpi/Vtt volts.

Most ram is designed to run at 1.65v Vram and 1.35v Qpi/Vtt.

This is unless your ram says 1.5v or 1.35v on the sticker , then its got lower voltage requirements.

It is absolutely safe to push this voltage all the way to 1.35v.

If none of this works.. try re-seating the cpu and check. That usually brings it back too :)

cheers and kind regards

Thanks for the replies , guys.

@Lord Nemesis

Already have the latest BIOS (0802) installed on the mobo.

@moksh4u2's

tried your method & set the DRAM voltage to 1.65 V. That didn't work.

I set the AI overclock tuner to manual ans set the DRAM voltage to 1.65 V. Left everything else at Auto.

Do i need to change anything else? Setting the DRAM profile from XMP / 1066 / 1600 doesnt help either

@toolius

set the Qpi/ Vtt voltage to 1.3V. Still doesn't detect ram in the second /B channel.

Had reseated the CPU , checked for any bent pins. Socket looks fine to me.

hmm id have to agree.. it sounds like you have done everything possible to get to the bottom of this.

When you first got the system up and running it was showing the full 6gb and if suddenly it has dropped a channel , then it looks like the board has developed a issue.

Are you im bombay ? if so and if you can get you system over , we can check it out here since i have spares of most parts :)

cheers and kind regards ! :)

toolius said:
hmm id have to agree.. it sounds like you have done everything possible to get to the bottom of this.

When you first got the system up and running it was showing the full 6gb and if suddenly it has dropped a channel , then it looks like the board has developed a issue.

Are you im bombay ? if so and if you can get you system over , we can check it out here since i have spares of most parts :)

cheers and kind regards ! :)
this reminds me of how u helped bail out my ass

ty toolius

:)

No thanks needed at all bro !!

We had some good fun :)

and the best bit is we are still at it too broo ;)

It was totally my pleasure bro .. i got to learn from that opportunity :)

I need to thank you too for everything you have done too bro ...

cheers and kind regards !!

toolius said:
No thanks needed at all bro !!

We had some good fun :)

and the best bit is we are still at it too broo ;)

It was totally my pleasure bro .. i got to learn from that opportunity :)

I need to thank you too for everything you have done too bro ...

cheers and kind regards !!

im sure i have learnt way more

we will always be at it

so long as their are new products, we will be there to make sure u get them :D

haha

@OP

sorry for hijacking ur thread

best of luck for the RMA if u go tht route

i do suggest u take it to tool's place though

cheers bro

Tried re-seating the CPU & HSF today (for the third time) & the RAM got detected :D

Memory is in XMP mode.

Looks like this isn't a board issue.

Thanks for all the replies & suggestions, guys.

Back