Android AT&T LG Optimus G E970

tagging fellow E970 owner @sid1712 to pitch in with his experience.

@Zeemanv2 continuing our discussion from the servepro thread,
Nope...haven't even popped in a SIM yet. Got home late yesterday so couldn't find time to play with it. The browsing speed on wifi is pretty much the same with what i get on my PC/laptop. I'm not used to the QWERTY keypad, so typing takes its time. Will pop in a SIM and see what speeds i get. But i don't have 3G. So all results of web browsing will be based on 2G.
Maybe sid1712 can answer your Qs better.

Speeds usually depend upon the carrier you are on (I am using Docomo 3G and they are giving me ~ 100kB/s DL which is quite slow by 3G standards but airtel gives me ~ 350).
Also, stick to the Stock android 4.3 keyboard (get the apk from xda) as its the best along with swiftkey IMO

Speeds usually depend upon the carrier you are on (I am using Docomo 3G and they are giving me ~ 100kB/s DL which is quite slow by 3G standards but airtel gives me ~ 350).
Also, stick to the Stock android 4.3 keyboard (get the apk from xda) as its the best along with swiftkey IMO

This is too low man... I get 900kbps-1 mbps on Vodafone 3g..

And speed shows up as 7.9-8mbps most times...

tagging fellow E970 owner @sid1712 to pitch in with his experience.

@Zeemanv2 continuing our discussion from the servepro thread,
Nope...haven't even popped in a SIM yet. Got home late yesterday so couldn't find time to play with it. The browsing speed on wifi is pretty much the same with what i get on my PC/laptop. I'm not used to the QWERTY keypad, so typing takes its time. Will pop in a SIM and see what speeds i get. But i don't have 3G. So all results of web browsing will be based on 2G.
Maybe sid1712 can answer your Qs better.

Different isp have diff speeds. So that is not a problem. I have asked u whether u called or texted anyone just to make sure the phone is usable on networks present here. Btw did the box is of at&t and what are bundled items?
@sid1712 from much time u r using e970 n what is its impression upon u? Is it upgradable to 4.2.2?

Last edited:
Different isp have diff speeds. So that is not a problem. I have asked u whether u called or texted anyone just to make sure the phone is usable on networks present here. Btw did the box is of at&t and what are bundled items?
@sid1712 from much time u r using e970 n what is its impression upon u? Is it upgradable to 4.2.2?
As i said in the second post, i haven't popped in a SIM yet. Will try that today. I think that's very much possible else sid wouldn't be happily replying here. :D
As for the OOTB items, you get
1. Phone
2. Packed and sealed universal charging/data cable
3. Packed and sealed 2pin plug (with flat pins)
4. A foldable quick start pamphlet.
5. LG user manual
6. A couple of ATT slips

Checkout this youtube video. Everything is the same as the video. Only thing that the box looked a little beat up and the LG manual's pages smelled a little old.

Ah, so you've finally made your decision to go with this model :)
yea :) Bought it from ebay. It got delivered on wednesday ie 21st. I always wanted to go with an expandable storage option. So when i saw this deal, i only had to make sure that everything is clean.

Last edited:
You can upgrade it to AOSP 4.2.2 or 4.3 via XDA provided you have bootloader unlocked and phone rooted (again, XDA for how-to) but stock gives the best battery life IMO and vanilla 4.3 is way too bland for me, lacks quite a lot of options you get in the LG skin (which is waaaaaaaay better than Crapwiz in my opinion)

There's a ROM (4.1.2 based) which is almost like the stock but removes bloatware and makes the phone almost the same as the international OG which i'm currently eyeing but dont really feel the need to flash a new ROM. I've owned nexus's before and flashing new ROM's is fun initially but the little bugs here and there really gets to you in the end and you just want a snappy phone with a decent battery and no bugs/weirdness.

Just my opinion though. YMMV[DOUBLEPOST=1377262408][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is too low man... I get 900kbps-1 mbps on Vodafone 3g..

And speed shows up as 7.9-8mbps most times...
I mean 100kBps ~ 1mbit. 3G in Manipal is quite slow so ~4 mbit i get from airtel is good enough for me

^Im in Mumbai...

Speedtest Result...a month ago..

2861443772.png

yea :) Bought it from ebay. It got delivered on wednesday ie 21st. I always wanted to go with an expandable storage option. So when i saw this deal, i only had to make sure that everything is clean.
ok, so now we know what your definition of 'sturdy quad core' is.

Take care of it,as the AT&T version has different dimensions to the E975 we get locally so if screen breaks you'll have to source the parts from abroad. Unless serve pro can do it. Maintenance isn't difficult with this model, its just getting the parts.

@Phungus i was reading reviews of optimus g n i read that has serious overheating issues.It becomes so hot n if u place it on any cold surface back glass cracks (especially in at&t ver.):eek: I know u dont have it for a long time bt still have u experienced any abnormal overheating?

Last edited:
well for starters, my definition of "abnormal overheating" maybe different from yours. Plus i don't really know how much an android phone is supposed to get heated.
As per my experience, it does get a little warm sometimes after running at full throttle for about an hour but i wouldn't call it abnormal heating.
The glass cracking part frankly seems unbelievable to me. The only way heating and cooling would (maybe) crack the glass is if it undergoes pasteurization.:D

ok so i LGNPSTed to 4.1.2, rooted & unlocked bootloader and flashed CM10.2 now. I had taken backups of all the notes that i had created using the stock Note Pad. The problem im facing now is no notepad application on the play store is able to recognise the backup of the backup file format (.rnt).
I do have the option of reverting back to the stock LG android, but it doesn't seem practical. Any pointers on how to open the rnt file format?

Can i know how you Upgrade to 4.1.2 with LGNPSTed..I have read few thread on XDA devlopers but all are quite confusing me to so can you
write down necessary step for me with Link..:)

Can i know how you Upgrade to 4.1.2 with LGNPSTed..I have read few thread on XDA devlopers but all are quite confusing me to so can you
write down necessary step for me with Link..:)
Check this out. It's the LGOG Quick guide. It's got everything that you would need from rooting to unlocking bootloader to LGNPSTing to flashing. The IRC thing is mainly to get this link. After getting this link, i haven't gotten any other use of the IRC. Ofcourse the devs are there on IRC so in case something goes wrong, you can always ping them. But the link above is probably THE starting point for all LGOG users.

READ EVERY LINE AS MANY TIMES AS IT TAKES TO TAKE EVERYTHING IN AND UNDERSTAND PROPERLY. MISSING EVEN A SINGLE LINE CAN LEAD TO BRICKS.

@phunguus - Try opening the file though ES file explorer
I already tried that. It only gives me the encrypted junk, not the real content.

EDIT:- i had completely forgotten had backed up all apps using titanium backup. So all i had to do was get TB's backup files and explore them in WINRAR till i found the data. Was able to get everything by this method. Although there are still some special characters but i got what i needed.:joyful:

Last edited:
Back