At the Cross Roads - Do Job or MBA after finsihing MCA?

bluevolt

Disciple
I am pursuing MCA from Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi now in final year looking for a job with our placement 'season' going on. I even got into two companies - first was offering me a position of Business Analyst but I didn't join due to their unusual service agreement which included submission of my original certificates for the entire bond period. Second company was offering me a position of ASP.NET web developer to which I again didn't join as it was a very under paid job. I also keep getting calls from companies offering technical writing positions to which I am interested due to my blogging hobby and all but then again I don't know if technical writing job has a good future scope or not.

Now half of my class is placed as c#, java programmers and many call me stupid to decline those offers and blah blah.

Point is that including above issues I never felt excited when I got confirmations from those two job offers. And I couldn't clear the companies I dreamt of working. It's not that I hate coding or so but I am not getting into the right kind of company and don't want to settle for less.

Except core IT, I have huge interest in Management. I always wanted to do MBA after graduation but got into post graduation in computer science. Now I think I should do an MBA after MCA but then again many people think I sound stupid as doing MBA after MCA is not a good idea according to many. I know I am bringing 'people's thinking' here which I should not be. Conventionally by now I should have been placed like some of my friends and enjoying the remaining semester preparing for end terms final exams and hanging out with their girl friends which I don't have
biggrin.gif
. So I want your guidance regarding this.

Sometimes I feel if I do an MBA then by the time I complete the course, my age will be just 3-4 years short before I hit into 30 year+ junta category and till that point most of my friends will have two years of industry experience and must have got good hike also and I would be starting as a fresher then! But I must say I have great interest in MBA/Management. That's why I was interested in joining IT Industry as Business Analyst instead of a conventional programmer but most good companies hire Business Analyst who have B.Tech + MBA or 3-4 years of programming experience with good comm skills. I do have good comm skills but no MBA degree and experience.

Lots of things going on in my mind and unable to decide what should be done next. Should I keep preparing for placements and grab a job offer till the official campus placement season goes on till April next year or should I start preparing for my state university MBA entrance from January after final exams as I missed filling CAT form and join 2015-2017 batch MBA course.

Please throw some light and help me get out of this dilemma.

Literally being indecisive and all I am unable to focus anywhere.

My 2 cents.

- Doing the MBA, without any prior experience doesn't exactly give you any real-world experience to reminisce about and work on, during the MBA
- Post-MBA, without any prior experience, you will be a fresher, and you might be offered a basic Analyst position again (which you are already getting offers for)
- You have a better chance to get into GOOD MBA institutes if you have work experience, as they prefer people with experience.
- Stop comparing yourself to your classmates and their salaries and positions. Look at your skills and talent and forge your own path through life.

how much more do you want to study more? whos gonna pay for mba?
though you declined the offers the reasons seem to be valid. but you've already spent 6 years after 12th, when do you plan to start working? at the age of 30?

Get a job and start working. even if mba is your dream work for around 4 years and aim at getting a seat at ISB or something similar.

Get a job, start working. Prepare for mba entrance exams side by side. 1 - 2 hours daily, more on weekends.
You can try to get into top MBA institution then great otherwise keep doing this till you get into a top institution.

Follow your heart.

You'll regret not doing the MBA 5 years down the line when you are stuck with a shitty job.

It really depends on how you want to proceed. Let me tell you two contrasting stories from my college days:

A topper from my stream who first turned down IT jobs finally joined a company as a BA. After some years, he did his MBA from xxxx. Guess what, after passing he got placed in Infy as a BA on the finance and risk side. And by god, he is suffering now.
Then there was a another guy who has not really that good at studies. He got a job in retail SCM. He went off to Germany to do his MBA. Currently he is working into Product Marketing in SAP.

So:
a. Interest in "management" is not a real thing. In MBA streams are finance, marketing, HR, operations etc. So whats your interest? "Management" is just an umbrella BS word people in colleges spout after reading beginner salary from most MBA institutes.
b. If you really are interested in any of the MBA streams (say finance) they go for it. If you take up a job which is not in your interest then you might regret it later (as @AMG said).
d. Still from c, even if you do MBA keep your expectations in in check.
The biggest employer nowadays are IT companies. So chances are you will still end up as a BA (as @Vince said). Mostly with larger loan in your name.
e. If you really are committed to it, then take @booo 's advice. Try for a top rung college. Unfortunately given the population and number of colleges, you might not like what you see if you spend money in a second rung college. Some placements are even worse than what you are getting now. Good colleges also offer you access via their alumni network.
If not, then go abroad. It really counts.

Right now I am letting things happen as they are happening and not thinking too much over it since more I think about it, more confuse i get. Right now focus is to get into Business Analyst profile only which suits my area of interest without MBA.

Back