Athlon II X4 635 vs Phenom II X2 555

The main drawback of Athlon II is that it has no level 3 cache & it cant be unlocked

I think you can unlock Phenom II X 2 555 to all 4 cores if you get a good batch are inclined to do so.

But your mobo should have that capability

If you are successful then you have Phenom II X 4 955

Gurus may advise more

im inclined towards x4 635 but if phenom 555 can be unlocked then i'll buy it.

which motherboards have most success rate in unlocking ?

I used Gigabyte GA-MA-785GMT-usb3 for unlocking my 555BE 3 mnths ago n was successful.

U shld consider ur actual usage b4 deciding any procy.
unlocking shld b consider as bonus bt it may nt always happen , there is 80% succ. rate of unlocking of 555 BE bt still.....

Also u hav 2 perform stability test 4 unclocked core

For gaming purpose, I'd say that Phenom II X2 beats the Athlon II X4 without it being unlocked.

Athlon II X4 is better at multi-threaded CPU intensive applications.

BTW I successfully unlocked my Phenom X2 to X4 on Biostar TA790GXBE

All who have mentioned that they successfully unlocked their X2 55BE to quads (processor has to be stable with all 4 cores) may have bought their chip some months back.

New batches of X2 555BE might not unlock successfully.

Please do check the batch.

If gaming is ur purpose then u shud go with 555BE and if u want to do encoding and stuff like that then i think u shud buy Athlon II 635...

Lets say if u buy a 555BE and if it doesnt unlock into x4 then u wud b stuck with only two working cores... And even if it unlocks into x4 then it shud b stable.... :)

just my 2 cents ;)

pegasus said:
All who have mentioned that they successfully unlocked their X2 55BE to quads (processor has to be stable with all 4 cores) may have bought their chip some months back.

New batches of X2 555BE might not unlock successfully.

Please do check the batch.
I bought mine in June :)

lavans4u said:
my friend needs to buy a 555BE....
my shopkeeper showed me two batches 1033bpmw nad 1034bpmw....
which one to choose?
You have to verify the OPN number to get whichever processor specs you need the OPN number is printed on the box pretty clearly on the AMD-tamper-proof tape

AMD Processors for Desktops: AMD Phenom, hope this helps, tell your friends usage pattern too will be able to tell which is better VFM :)

Back