CPU/Mobo Athlon x2 250 + M3N78-EM issue

hi,

My friend bought Athlon II X2 250 and M3N78-EM , he got 2 GB kigston DDR2 too. he tried installing OS (win xp) using his old pata 20 GB drive, it failed

the installation stuck after 1st reboot and machine hang.
my frnd was claiming proccy got overheat ,

any ideas on it?

old pata hdd is the culprit.

ppl should stop blaming amd's heating up issues---those were rumours started by intel.

Could be bad CPU (defective).. had seen this happening to my friends PC.. He changed board + HDD but still XP failed to install after first boot during setup... then he changed cpu & it worked... cannot explain why...

Check HDD first then mobo + RAM & then CPU...

I had the very same problem with a gigabyte mobo, the installation would stop after the first reboot during installation.

I had to RMA the mobo, faulty proccy carriage was to blame.

Link

Problem could also be due to corrupted installation media i.e your XP installer CD/DVD. Try another tested medium before attempting BIOS update.

installation was done by a professional guy, i guess he installs on many machines with same media,

bios is identifying the processor, (may be because bios is flashed to latest bios update, by asus)

i got procy and mobo to Bangalore, but dont have PC here to test this thing.

i am taking it to shop i bought on Monday for them to test it

sunny27 said:
old pata hdd is the culprit.

ppl should stop blaming amd's heating up issues---those were rumours started by intel.
I second that. People should stop the overheat non-sense. That was more than a decade ago. I’ve been using AMD all my life and haven’t had a single issue due to overheat.

The propaganda has made everyone believe that any problem with the PC, blame AMD CPU overheating. That’s not the case.

First check the HDD, then the PSU, the MoBo, the media your trying to install from. I’ve had failed installations when the CD was scratched. I know it is silly but sometimes “It is easy to miss the obviousâ€. Zero-in on the problem after trial and error. Don’t just directly blame the CPU.

Back