Graphic Cards ATI X800 GTO2 vs NV 7600GT

kandissa

Disciple
Can somebody enlighten me a little about the pros and cons of the two? Which would be the more intelligent buy on purely performance grounds?

GTO2 for sure as you can unlock it to an X850 XT PE and then it will thrash the 7600GT.

But it does not have SM3(which is a paper feature anyway). \

And if you are buying the GTO2 from zhopudey, then I say go for it. He is giving it for 10K woth Ati Silencer!!!

Well.. Only Cons are.. the X800 series dont support SM3... So dont expect to play games like UT2007, Crysis, etc..

If i was you, id go with the 7600GT...

^^LOL no dev has explicitly said that those games require SM3. SM2 hardware is the baseline AFAIK. So you won't get the extra eyecandy and HDR. Out of those 7600GT is a better deal. In fact an X1800GTO is an even better deal.

Definitely 7600 GT out of those two if u have to make a choice. It'll perform not too far off compared to a X850 XT. And as chaos said if u can get the X1800 GTO even better.

Well since this thread involves my card, I'm going to jump in :eek:hyeah:

*Disclaimer* Obviously I'm trying to push my card. But I'm posting this here instead of PM'ing kandissa, so that he has the chance the see other peoples comments, and then decide on his own.
Point number 1. - The most important. Henceforth, I'll be treating my card as an x850xt. Now aditya would probably be the first to object :tongue: Well here's what I think.

Treating my card as an x850xt, is NOT the same as say, treating a 3000+ which has gone till fx-57 speeds as the higher chip. Why, because for OCing the cpu, a lot of factors are involved. Your motherboard, ram, smps, cooling, etc. i.e. An fx-57 will work as an fx-57 on all boards that support it, even the Rs 2K foxconn. You can't OC the 3000+ on the foxconn.

However, if your system is capable of running an x850xt, ( I think smps is the only factor ), then my gto2 will work as an x850xt. No doubts about that. And it'll also run cooler, and more silent, due to the ATI Silencer.

So, now that that is decided, compare the 7600gt with an x850xt. The 7600gt costs around 13.5K I think, while my gto2 is less than 10K. And for its defense, I'm calling these witnesses -

1> Poll @ techpowerup. x850xt vs 7600gt
x850 got 27 votes, 7600gt got 7 votes.
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=11617

This seems to be a common topic at the moment, you know, the last generation high end card versus the newer generation mid range card, there is of course no clear and correct answer, both have key attributes in their favour, if you will forgive me for my laziness I am gonna paste what my views were in a recent other thread, I think as an 850xt owner I was being fairly honest and diplomatic (albeit just a little biased!) it goes like this:

"You are posing yourself the problem everyone faces on a tight budget, do you go for the more upto date current mid range card with SM3.0 or opt for a high end previous generation card without SM3.0? Only you can really answer that and we all have differing opinions most of which are valid to some degree.
I had a 6800 with SM3.0 prior to my non SM3.0 current card, the 6800 was good, in BF2 I could however only manage mid range visual settings with little or no AA/AF but I had my nice lights and additional effects, now with my 850xt running far in excess of PE speeds I dont get the SM3.0, what I do get though is maxed settings with loads of AA/AF and lets be clear here for one minute.....both visually and gameplay wise there is no comparison the 850 without SM3.0 wins hands down! Fact (IMO).

Now that only applies if you are playing the most demanding games where a 1600xt (or in this case 7600GT) for example just has not got the processing power of the 850xt, I would imagine in CSS or DoD the 1600xt (or 7600GT) would be lovely and give you that SM3.0, these 2 games actually support dynamic lighting in SM2.0 so you get some of the quality as well from the 850. The 1600xt and 7600GT are excellent value for money cards and it is more future proof but I feel today in demanding games there is little point in having the SM3.0 if your resolution and/or display settings are mediocre cause you just dont have the revs to run it smoothly. I got a 32FPS increase in DoD when I got the 850 over the 6800 and 21FPS in BF2, whatever game your playing, if you cant keep the framerate above 30FPS the experience is going to be shallow. I have not missed SM3.0 in the slightest! But hey, thats my opinion".

2> Heres oblivion benchmark from AT
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2746&p=7

With HDR disabled, if you've got anything faster than an X800 XL from ATI you are sitting very pretty. While the GeForce 7900 GT and X1800 XT offer some pretty compelling performance, high end X850/X800 owners really don't have a reason to upgrade unless they want better image quality. Even the X800 Pro performs pretty well here; fortunately (or unfortunately) for owners of ATI's X850/X800 series, if you're not going to spend a lot of money on a GPU upgrade then your best bet is actually to stay put and just turn down your detail settings.

Other's are free to comment on this. Do point out if anything I've said is technically wrong.

Aditya said:
Yea, but i would feel better having SM3, and HDR+AA Capabilities, than not having em :p.
No nV card can do HDR+AA not even 7900GX2 Quad SLi ;)

@ Zhop - Gotta agree with you mate ! Great work in finding those links.

@ Kandissa - Well, since Zhop is giving you the card pre-flashed (Isn't it ?) and unlocked to 16x6 I would suggest that deal. Plus the ATi silencer is much more silent than 7600GT's stock cooler.

Aditya said:
Well.. Only Cons are.. the X800 series dont support SM3... So dont expect to play games like UT2007, Crysis, etc..

If i was you, id go with the 7600GT...
UT 2k7 is gonna s'port SM2..
CHECK HERE
Though these r only possible requirements, but the real arent gonna be much different. A geForce 6 series card with DX 9 compilance (UT s'ports OGL also) should be the bare minimum.
X850 it gr8..X850 XT PE is even better...though costly...but should match higher cards like 7800 in performance

But i think, wed wanna play with All the Eye candy turned up, wont we...

@ Anish, i know that no nVidia card can do HDR+AA..
Rather than the X800GTO2 or the 7600GT, id choose the X1800GTO :p. Its unlockable too.

GTO2 is more value for money imho....The raw processing power at that price range is unbeatable.

and if somebody is thinking of buying a card keeping the future in mind then it is better to wait for directx 10 , directx 11 ...whatever ...capable cards to be released in future (8 ~ 16 months time frame). currently zhop's deal is a good one considering the ATI silencer itself costs 2.2 ~ 2.5K here locally.plus it is "Built by Sapphire" meaning these cards will have top quality components.

Well even the X800 GTO2 isnt available here(apart from zhops) so i assume hes buying it from abroad :p

Edit: Rofl ,it has been blessed indeed. The 7600 GT is better than the X8500 XT PE even :O

But if u think about it, there is a greater chance of the 7600 GT going kaput :eek:hyeah:

Techboy always gets the figures out of his @#$% :p. Since when did an X850XTPE become equal in performance to a 6800 ultra :rofl:. Hell its faster than the 7800GS in most games.

techboy said:
(For majority of games)

How did you guys mess up?

6800ultra = +- X850XT PE
7600GT > 6800ultra
so, 7600GT > X8500XT PE

As for X800GTO 2, it will loose to a 6800gs/gt on stock.
X850XT PE > 6800 Ultra (X850XT PE = 6800 Ultra OC)

6800 Ultra will beat the c**p out of 7600GT

so X850XT PE >> 7600GT

Dont know much about the GTO2

Back