Graphic Cards ATI's R520 silicon "fantastic" - sources

Blade_Runner

Skilled
ATI's R520 silicon "fantastic" - sources
Chicago (IL) - After weeks of delay, final silicon of ATI's next graphic chip generation, code-named R520, apparently made it through the production line. According to sources, quality and performance of the chip exceed initial expectations, allowing the company to announce serious competition for Nvidia's 7800 GTX possibly in a matter of weeks.

Nvidia may be sweeping the high-performance graphics market with its seventh generation GeForce, but ATI made significant strides in preparing its next graphics chip and is likely to set new records in graphic performance. Credible industry sources told Tom's Hardware Guide that the R520 may debut with clock speeds in the range of 700 MHz and a completely redesigned graphics architecture.

Compared to 7800 GTX, our sources claim that the R520 can best Nvidia's performance and image quality levels in any scenario. Nvidia recently came under fire with accusations that the company uses "driver cheats" for its 7800 series to increase frame rate performance on one side but sacrifizes image quality on the other. While we have to wait for the final product to verify itsactual capability, ATI may have in fact a chip in its hands that could force Nvidia to release a new flagship for its 7800 series.

Ahead of the R520, ATI is expected to to release its Crossfire dual graphics support. Several vendors told Tom's Hardware Guide that motherboard designs are finalized and that the industry at this time waits for ATI to officially introduce the technology. Crossfire boards are expected to be priced about 5 to 10 percent below SLI boards.

[RANK="www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050830_205000.html"]Source[/RANK]

Thanks for the info Blade

Looks like Ati wants to make a bang with there R520.
wow 700Mhz clock speed.
I am trying to imagine the power of 2 x R520 in crossfire.

Well the r580 has been taped put as well ;) So if you nvidia goes for 7800U or 7900 then ATi might actually speed up the process of getting the r580 out.

~HeadShot~ said:
@sandeep:
Remember the hindi saying, "Der aaya durust aaya" (Even if it came late, it came in with a bang! :p )

like late latif
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

always late :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
i am really confused .... but i also want to stay with nvidia ..... never used ATi except onboard on MSI RS480 ...... but the image quality on mine 6600GT is really bad ...specially on DOOM3 i can see a wave like thing on background i don't know if i can explain that correctly but its very problematic while playing anyone has same problem ..... even i feel image quality on mine MSI FX5200 Ultra is better than XFX 6600GT ... is there something wrong with XFX or it is nvidia

i dont know what u are talking about rahul

i have played doom3 on 9700pro & a 6600gt. i have no idea what problems with image quality u are facing. the game looked almost the same to me on both cards expect for some places which u will hardly notice which i came to know through the net.

i am also using xfx 6600gt. never had such a problem.

try updating doom3 n see. never know.

rahul said:
i am really confused .... but i also want to stay with nvidia ..... never used ATi except onboard on MSI RS480 ...... but the image quality on mine 6600GT is really bad ...specially on DOOM3 i can see a wave like thing on background i don't know if i can explain that correctly but its very problematic while playing anyone has same problem ..... even i feel image quality on mine MSI FX5200 Ultra is better than XFX 6600GT ... is there something wrong with XFX or it is nvidia
Set it to High Quality in the driver control panel. The default is Quality which sucks :p.

Back