Graphic Cards ATI's Radeon X800 series can do Transparency AA too

Blade_Runner

Skilled
ATI's Radeon X800 series can do Transparency AA too !!

As a matter of fact even r300 can do Transparency AA or adaptive AA which is present in the Nvidia 7 series cards only. Kudos to the beyond3d members who discovered the trick. Alpha textures are AA'ed nicely now.Original thread here

Code:
set ASTT_NA to 0 in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Video\{5A61609A-036A-4D32-B447-F0E42DA9714D}\0000

5A61609A-036A-4D32-B447-F0E42DA9714D this number is different for every one , you may have multiple numbers at the location because of multiple driver installation but only one is active. To be sure just change the value in every one.

If you use CCC try icon you will now have a new option in the AA menu

Quote:

I made a litte mistake. To enable adaptive AA you have to create a new entry ASTT and set it to 1. The ASTT_NA entry i mentioned above is only there to make the option visible in the CCC tray icon.

it AA alpha test textures and it works

You can use this program:

Code:
http://www.gaeugf.ch/ted/RegKey.exe

It will show you the exact location in the registry where to add things.

Change ASTT_NA to 0 to get the option in CCC.

Add ASTT entry as string(REG_SZ) and set it to 1(REG_BINARY works too) to enable adaptive AA.

http://www.gaeugf.ch/ted/reg.jpg

Restart or make driver refresh by changing AA or AF in CCC or CP to make the changes active

Visual Tutorial for enabling TAA.

The difference is like night and day !!

(PNG compression so images are around 1Mb each)

Without TAA

http://www.gaeugf.ch/ted/noad_AA.png

With TAA

http://www.gaeugf.ch/ted/ad_AA.png

Or chk these jpg images out

without TAA

with TAA

Bit tech has covered it Here

EDIT:You need 5.9 cats.

doesnt make that much difference. this is with registry, maybe there will also be a way to enable this for geforce 6xxx? :S

Very, VERY neat. Good find Blade! But I wonder what's the performance hit like. Let me test it out on my 9800 pro.

Also, I've gotten to keep an X850XT PE (AGP version) for a couple of weeks :) so I'll test it out there too. But I don't use the catalyst control centre, it's quite a memory hog. Let's see if the option works with the ordinary control panel as well.

Dunno if Geforce 6 series can do it sandy !

Btw guys check out the latest version of ATi tools

http://www.dvhardware.net/software/2679

Added support for Adaptive anti-aliasing mode. Substantially improves visual image quality by enabling supersampling anti-aliasing on transparent textures, and multi-sampling anti-aliasing on all other textures. This delivers exceptional levels of image quality, while maintaining very high levels of performance. (Only Catalyst 5.9 and up and only if supported by hardware)

So those who don't want to mess around the registry but want TAA can get the latest version of ATT and enjoy TAA :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention in the first post but you need 5.9 cats. Works on 9500 and 9700 as well :).

Nope. This is with new cat 5.9 and later driver builds only. Not just registry hack.

A year ago and it would have been slap in Nvidia's face.

Had tried out the above this evening infact.
must say it works somewhat in BF2 (currently the only game i play, besides off course chess, spider solitaire and PACMAN)

I dunno whether it is just my perception or what but doing this has increased the framerates in BF2 a bit for me. even though i had increased the AA from 2x to 4x. The game seems much smoother. perhaps the driver refresh, after doing the registry hack has somehow done the trick ...

Repped you for your find man Blady! YOu Rock! ATi Rocks too!!!!!

Where can i find this Option in ATT man? I cnat seem to find it. I Found Multi ThreadSupport, will see how it affects my fps soon :D.

Okie got it, Adaptive Anti-Aliasing :) in Direct 3D SEttings

Ok first of all, 2 problems.

First my FPS is locked @ 60 now and it wont go up. V-Sync is off. So thats not the thing.

Secondly, my Sensitivity is now screwed :S, its feels smoothened out as if Mouse Filter was on :S. Wtf?

goldenfrag said:
Okie got it, Adaptive Anti-Aliasing :) in Direct 3D SEttings

Ok first of all, 2 problems.
First my FPS is locked @ 60 now and it wont go up. V-Sync is off. So thats not the thing.
Secondly, my Sensitivity is now screwed :S, its feels smoothened out as if Mouse Filter was on :S. Wtf?
hehe there is a bit of FPS hit. Btw which game was this ? Try it out on other games as well ;)

Hehe everytime nvidia trumpets a new feature in their brand new card, ATI magically seems to come out with a driver that seems to enable it for all cards since 9500 :p.

A beyond3d user benched Bf2 with and without TAA and the performance hit seems to be minimal !

I made a quick "SharkBench" in BF2, firing up a 16-player Single Player and blowing up a bunch of stuff, running around, etc.etc. X800XT 1280x960, all game settings maxed, except lighting at Medium.

4xAA, Non-Adaptive "SharkBench"

Total Frame Time: 99.0029 seconds

Number of Frames: 12380

Average Frame Rate: 125.047

Average Frame Time: 0.007997

Shortest Frame Time: 0.00301361 (frame #1847)

Longest Frame Time: 0.292343 (frame #7017)

4xAA, Adaptive, "SharkBench"

Total Frame Time: 98.9651 seconds

Number of Frames: 12237

Average Frame Rate: 123.65

Average Frame Time: 0.00808737

Shortest Frame Time: 0.00307455 (frame #3791)

Longest Frame Time: 0.291626 (frame #6874)

Sandy said:
I could not make out much difference with Transparency AA in those pictures.
lol mate ! look @ the chainlink fences, look at the two pngs i posted. The difference is like night and day. No need to even compare the IQ of the two pics ! With TAA On makes a whole lot of difference.

TAA Rocks! There is no blur even @ 6x.

Blady this was in CS Source. But i know somethings wrong. Its locked at 60 FPS. And the new multithread support helped man :), the FPS dropts to only 50 now. Woohooo..

Chaos said:
LOL sorry for the sarcasm, but "Are you blind?"
aa and af, especially af is something most people don't notice.
After someone points it out to you or something you decide to try for yourself - with before and after screenshots - to see what the big deal is about, it's only then that the ugly mip wall stands out in every damn thing you play.

As long as one doesn't know what to look for, jaggies and mipping mean nothing.

Back