Audio Goodies!

Hello fellas!

1) Audio Technica ATH-W1000

Well, my roomie complained about my AD900 and the sound that they leaked. What didnt help that Im deaf from birth and I listen at very loud volumes. So I needed a pair of closed Headphones.

The build is absolutely amazing. It completely breaks the AD900 apart. ( build quality ).

For sound, the damn Woodies only come with a 6.5mm plug, and dont have a converter. Anyways, Ive not spent much time, from what Ive heard the soundstage is better, slightly more separation, the bass slam and quality is way better and more too. The mids are less emphasized compared to the AD900, and overall are more balanced.

I was actually trying to get a W5000, but they were a bit too much ( cheapest was $800), and these were selling for $350.

2) Audio Technica ATH-CK10

Impressions were good and so I went for it. Note 1 : These sound different from my headphones, sound sig wise.(apart from the HP and IEM differences).

These have quite a lot more bass and a very balanced sound from the 1 hour I spent listening to them. Sounds like a typical armature. (less bass quantity compared to TripleFi's, and more sparkle in the treble region. Not doing much of traveling lately(will do more soon) so will let you know if my impressions change or further impressions.

3) Musiland Monitor 01 USD

It is basically a USB to SPDIF/Optical/BNC converter, and it does a brilliant job(better than my soon-to-come y2 USB receiver atleast). And since my SPDIF out sucks ( bigtime ), USB was my only option. So I needed a converter. I had to decide between this and the m2tech HiFace and this, but the prob is while this supports ASIO, KS and DS, m2tech only supports KS. And when I want to listen to music and game, DS is the only option, so decided to go for this. ( I think m2tech updated it to support ASIO as well, but no DS is a big minus. Only for plain music listening it would work though. ) Not to mention the HiFace also costs double.

4) Gamma2 DAC(from Marshall Wyant aka MisterX)

5) Woo Audio 6 with Sophia Princess Rectifier Tube

In this pic, the big tube is the Sophia Princess tube, which is next to the default rectifier tube.

Damages :

AT W1000 - $380 ( from Warehouse123 )

AT ATH-CK10 - $200

Musiland Monitor 01 USD - $80

Gamma y2 DAC - $375

Woo Audio 6 - $675

Sophia Princess Rectifier Tube - $175

Total = $1885.

This is an upgrade from the Compass + AD900 setup I had back in India!

Cheers,

SF.

oh awesome! Do you use any other equipment in driving the W5000! :D

I forgot to order the power cable for the WA6, so I have to wait for 1-2 more days till I can start warming up the tubes..

Goodies they are alright! Nice stuff!

I have been trying to get the Gamma 2 kit for a long time, but again the pcb and components, but been having a lot of trouble ordering them.

I see that you have got the completely built unit from misterx. Great.

so, the gamma2 & WA6 are finally here.

I need your impressions on gamma2 against compass.

Congrats, once again! :)

titana said:
so, the gamma2 & WA6 are finally here.
I need your impressions on gamma2 against compass.
Congrats, once again! :)

Yup, I will. Although one thing is there, the Gamma2 is mainly a DAC, with just enough juice to drive my AD900's. The Compass's amplification is way better. But I feel the Gamma2 has a better DAC overall. The problem is I dont have the Compass here to make a proper decision. :(

Superfrag said:
Yup, I will. Although one thing is there, the Gamma2 is mainly a DAC, with just enough juice to drive my AD900's. The Compass's amplification is way better. But I feel the Gamma2 has a better DAC overall. The problem is I dont have the Compass here to make a proper decision. :(
Ah, yes. You had to leave the compass in India. In any case, from the reviews I have got, It seems the compass DAC is no comparison to Gamma2, maybe a higher offering from audio-GD like DAC19 would compare.

I am interested in getting one myself. How much of a difference does the USB transport (musiland) make. Have you compared it with gamma2's USB input?

This thread shows one of the biggest reasons/advantages of staying in the US. Getting awesome audio gear,which wouldn't be so easily available here in India :) !

Drool worthy maal!

How does it feel like moving from open air to closed headphones.

Did you consider the AD-2000 at $499 and choose the W1000 over it for some particular reason or was it always W1000/5000 to begin with.

I chose the W1000 over the AD2000 as I mentioned, I needed closed headphones as I mentioned earlier.(roomie)

@ titana, I'll definitely do a comparison between the two USB inputs. Just wait for the weekend, as I have my midterms going on right now.

And oh yeah, If I was in India, none of this would have been possible, I would still be using the Compass and AD900 combo! :p

OMFG!!!!! :O How the hell did I miss this thread earlier.

Congrats for all those stuff man!! And now the AKG K701 as well!!

:drool2:

Back