PC Peripherals Audio issue or is it normal

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I'm having this issue but unsure if this is even an issue or not!

Complete build into my signature.

I have few 3.5mm jack headphones with mic.
When I plug it directly in either back or front panel Green jack, usual pop-up appears for headphones and I'm able to hear sound. But concern is with Mic.

1645647455390.png

I'm not able to use the mic as it doesn't get detected at all. In Sounds, it says Not plugged in for mic.

1645646730683.png

Realtek Audio manager also doesn't lists/detects any mic.

1645646809108.png

1645646837957.png

I have this splitter using since my old desktop which got separate mic and headphone jacks (Green+Pink)
Now when I use it everything works just fine. I'm able to record voice/attend meetings etc.

So is this behavior normal that simply plugging in the headphones jack into Green jack will only make it work as purely for listening purpose minus mic/recording capabilities?

Unlike in laptop where we simply plug it in the single and only available audio jack and it works just fine for both hearing cum talking purpose!

1645646148587.png

For usb headphones no issue at all.

So just to clear the air if the behavior is perfectly normal or what troubleshooting do I need to do furthermore...

Last edited:
Maybe the jacks on mobo are designed to take trs plug only? In that case u r plugging trrs plug to trs connector, which is why it will only recognise headphones in ur case.

Edit: I checked ur mobo's manual, it seems to have trs jack just like most of the motherboards. It's common and for mic to work, u just need to use splitter or usb connection.

Last edited:
Desktops usually have two separate TRS ports. Laptops generally have single TRRS ports.

Headphone with mics are TRRS ports(see bands on the plug, TRRS should be 3 bands, 4 poles, TRS is 2 bands, 3 poles IIRC)

Hence when plugging a TRRS device in a TRS port, usually it’s the mic which gets skipped. Need a Y splitter for that.

Personally- I am using the Apple usb c to 3.5 dongle, have tried it with, with and without mic earphones, all work without issues. Fantastic little dac as well.

Back