Audio Setup for Living Room under 20k

Hi,

I am looking for a subwoofer to attach it to the subwoofer output (single RCA) with my existing 2.0 speakers set up.

Should I go for an active or passive subwoofer?

The budget is max 12k.

Hi,

I am looking for a subwoofer to attach it to the subwoofer output (single RCA) with my existing 2.0 speakers set up.

Should I go for an active or passive subwoofer?

The budget is max 12k.
It would have to be active. You don't have a power amplifier to drive a subwoofer.

Thanks for your input.

Kindly suggest a model within my budget limit.
Good active subs are pretty costly. Even costlier than the corresponding speakers/monitors. I see that the Edifier T5 is around 10k but I have no experience with Edifiers so will defer to others. If you can extend your budget then get the Mackie CR8S-xBT. I am using that with my JBL 104s and it's working pretty well to cover the low end. That comes at around 18k.

Last edited:
Under 12k the Edifier T5 is your best best. It's a decent sub but don't expect a lot of thump from it.

You could also have a look at the Edifier S350DB which comes in at around 25k and is a lovely sounding 2.1 setup and will be a good all-rounder.

I personally use the Edifier R1700BT and the Edifier S1000DB. The S1000DB is an excellent sounding speaker and I've never felt the urge to add a sub to it. They are heavy (10 kg each) and built well. The 5.5" drivers have been very sufficient for my close triangle listening and they are a lot of fun to listen to. A fair heads up though, all the S series speakers from Edifier (S1000, 2000 and 3000) need a good amount of burn in to sound their best.

IMG-20210808-110206-01.jpg

My Edifier S1000DB. It's connected to a Khadas Tone Board (RCA) and I use JRiver MC for playing music on it.

If you have any further queries on Edifier speakers, do ask my friend.

@Black_Hawk You seem to have quite an experience with Edifier speakers.
Is the Edifier R1855DB the best I can get under 12k?

Most of my speakers are passive and on a very different price segment altogether but I have always enjoyed what Edifier do with their gear. At the price points they have I really feel they do bring some very good sounding speakers. I'm all compliments on their higher up S series 2.0 bookshelves and I have suggested them to my friends who have been happy after buying. I have Swans but I always ended up using Edifiers way more.

Coming to your question, the Edifier R1700BT is there but I think the R1855DB will be a better buy, yes. The connectivity options are more and plus it has a sub-out so integration of a sub-woofer will be simpler and straightforward.

Presonus are recommended as Studio Monitors by many people here and on reddit but that sound profile suggests otherwise. Anyone care to comment? CR3-X retails for cheaper than Eris 3.5 as well.

For people who prefer to read than watch -
<https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-e3-5-powered-monitor-review-100-pair.23388/>

Edit: Edifier r1280t which is the cheapest among the three has rave reviews by the way. <https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../edifier-r1280t-powered-speaker-review.16112/>

Last edited:
Why don't you look at a pair of bookshelves like Mission , Boston acoustics etc ? One could get a BT amp of 100w per channel and flat wall wire which would not be so much noticeable .

After hearing F&D T60X and Edifier R1855DB in person, I'm getting inclined towards F&D. Please share your thoughts.
The Edifier one states a Nomex cone . The F& D does not state any thing with regard to the cone material . I am assuming it is polycone . A nomex will sound better .
The F&D has an 8 inch speaker so the bass would have been more , but the Edifier should have better clarity .

After hearing F&D T60X and Edifier R1855DB in person, I'm getting inclined towards F&D. Please share your thoughts.
You have heard both in person and like the F&D. Why not buy the F&D? Everyone has different sound preferences. Buy the one that you like. Audition it for a longer duration and decide if still in doubt.

Had bought the F&D T60X.
My unit had issues with BT. The audio used to break after every few minutes even when I placed my smartphone in front of the speakers.
They did not match the audio signature that I required. The bass was overpowering. So returned it.
The speakers were very loud though. The max. volume I heard them at was 50% and even that had the risk of neighbours complaining.
I think the F&D T60X are meant to be used outside and for parties.
So back to square one.

I am extremely happy with the edifier 1700bt's. They give you good experience for movies as well as music.

For movies, you get good bass and great dialogue clarity which I was unable to get with any other sub 12k soundbar/2.1/2.0 speakers.

I tried panasonic 4.1's, samsung soundbar, mi soundbar, JBL 104's, Logitech pebble 2.1's, Logitech Z623s, Sony 2.1s, impex towers and edifier 1280t's before finally finding satisfaction with the 1700bt's.

Just want to share my experience here, in case anyone has doubts about the edifiers in the future.

Is it justified to spend 3k more on the R1855DB over the R1700BT just for more connectivity options since according to people who have both, they sound nearly the same.

You get Bluetooth 5, optical out, sub option, better remote and 4watts upgrade. I would have gone with 1855db if I got new. Moreover, Doesn't optical port give much better audio experience?

Again, I only went with 1700s because I was able to get a hardly used well maintained pair for a good price from an audiophile uncle I met via OLX.

Back